Post (severe) knee injury recovery

Old May 28th 04, 01:07 AM
Mark Mitchell

Default Post (severe) knee injury recovery

Old May 28th 04, 06:46 AM
Peter Keller

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:07:14 +0000, Mark Mitchell wrote:

On Jun 25, '03, I jumped from a 5' high platform and landed badly with my
full weight on my left leg. I'm told that my leg visibly bowed inward. I
ended up with a spiral fracture of the tibia (shinbone) and a collapsed
tibial plateau. In other words, the top of my shinbone, where it connects
with the knee was granola.

So far, I'm recovering fairly well, I walk with no real problem (but with a
visible limp), but endurance is a problem with both of
these activities. My left knee is also much weaker than the right. I can
climb stairs but if I try to step up onto a surface much higher than the
standard stair riser, I can only put down about 120lbs of force.

Prior to the accident, I was an occasional rider but now I'm trying to ride
as much as I can both on the road and stationary. I can manage about
30mins a ride before my knee tells me to stop.

The biggest weird thing I'm noticing is that if I ride for about 30mins on
the road (low speed), or on the stationary for about an hour, after I stop
my knee feels loose. Especially when I'm transferring weight *off* the bad
leg.

Is there anyone here who's had similar symptoms/injuries?

Any input appreciated.

Mark

Sounds like you stretched some knee ligaments when you had your accident;
also the tibial plateau collapsing might leave the knee-joint cavity
unusually wide. Usual remedy is first physiotherapy etc to strengthen
the muscles. After maximum improvement from such conservative measures,
surgery might be considered eg tibial osteotomy (re-angulating the tibia)
or repair of the medial collateral or anterior cruciate ligaments.
Presumably you are under the care of the appropriate people? Most people
come somewhat right without further operations, and one cannot expect too
much improvement from surgery.
Peter

--
This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products
were used in its preparation or propagation.

Old May 28th 04, 07:29 AM
Mark Mitchell

Old May 28th 04, 07:17 PM
trg

I had a motorcycle accident 2 years ago where I broke the tibial plateau and
tore/stretched the ACL. They sewed the plateau back on. It fells better now
than a year ago, better a year ago than two years ago. I find that the only
time it feels "normal" is when I ride a lot. Strong leg muscles are the key.

Peder wrote:
Mark Mitchell wrote in
:

[...]

I had a similar injury from a motorcycle accident in 2000, with
similar results. The ACL was stretched and torn about halfway
through, shin
bone split through from the top of the plateau then out to the side
about 5 inches down. I had much improvement in the second year (much
more than I thought there would be), so take heart. It's still quite
loose, and sometimes pops and catches if I move wrong, but it seems
the more I keep the muscle tone up, the more controlled the loosness
is. I started MTB and trail riding last year and now have ridden up
to 4 hours/40 miles. I try to walk a 2.5 mile loop and/or excercise
on my goofy HealthRider several times a week. It helps to try and
get your weight down a little, too, if that's an issue (was for me).
My doc said Joe Namath had no ligaments left in his knees, and he
made it through with muscle control. A friend of mine also had a
similar break (and a broken arm thrown in for good measure) from a
horseback riding accident in '01, and also showed substantial
improvement the second year. So keep your chin up and good luck.