Added Aero Bars, Should I Adjust Seat/Stem?

Old August 2nd 03, 08:59 PM
Privatelife

Default Added Aero Bars, Should I Adjust Seat/Stem?

I added some aero bars to my Trek 5200 a few weeks ago. They really do help
me to ride in a more aero dynamic position for longer times. I'm about 1.5
MPH faster too :-)
However, after riding about 20%-40% of the distance (usually ~40 miles) in
the bars, my legs feel stressed behind the back of the knees and sometimes
below the knee caps. I know better than to ignore these clues.

Do I have to re-adjust the seat or stem now that I'm riding in a new
position?

Old August 3rd 03, 08:36 PM
Rivermist

There will be an adjustment period as you use different parts of the
muscles.

Most people do move the seat forward some as has been mentioned.

When I added my clip-on aero bars, I noticed a strain in my back muscles for
a few months, as my back adjusted to my getting down and back up throughout
the ride.

Old August 3rd 03, 10:56 PM
Steve McDonald

Leg and knee pain from using aerobars? Wait until your back starts
aching and it takes you 15 minutes each morning before you can stand
upright (assuming you adopt that posture ordinarily). With luck, the
previous respondents will be right and your body will adjust. Or, you
may find yourself adjusting to pain and misery.

Steve McDonald

Old August 3rd 03, 11:52 PM
Privatelife

I did have lower back pain. It has passed.

Here is some more info...
I video taped myself on the trainer and noticed my knees opened up when I
got into the aero bars...compared to riding on the hoods. I believe this
might be related to the slight pain and stiffness creeping in behind the
knee.