It's Already Starting-- The Timeline of My Bike Purchase

Old August 17th 03, 01:54 AM
William Blum

Default It's Already Starting-- The Timeline of My Bike Purchase

So... I went and got my bike yesterday. First bike I've had in .... 12
years.

After two visits, and several test rides, I went into the LBS yesterday
morning, and picked out the Cypress ST, and asked for the rack as well...

They didn't have an ST in my size on the floor, so they told me to come pick
it up at 4pm.

So, I go to campus, get my errands done, and drive home to grab the money...
and since it was a nice, sunny day (albeit hot), I decided to walk the
half-mile to the bike shop... where my bike was ready 30 minutes early, rack
already fitted. Get walked thru 'bike care and feeding 101', handed the
manual, serial number, shops business card, and the newsletter of the local
bicycling club. Total time, including the walk from my house? 20 minutes.

So, I have a new bike, and you'd think I'd ride straight home, right?

Sure.... but I thought I should check out a bike maintenance manual from
the library... 1 miles down the bike path, and 2 blocks over to the
library. And the kids would need a video to watch while I read,
right?.... off to the video rental store...

I turned what by all rights should have been a 4 minute ride straight home
into an hour of riding around town, picking up stuff, visiting with friends,
and then going home... I'd guess I took a 4 mile "not-so-shortcut" home.

It's already starting.....

(postscript: I look out my front window today after reading the Ballantine
bike book... and see 2 road bikes at a garage sale across the street....
$30 later, I have two parts bikes that I can use to have fun/learn during
rebuilding.)

Old August 17th 03, 05:13 PM
William Blum

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Congradulations on the new bike! At first i thought you had the new

"baby"
stolen - and am glad that was not the case! I hope all your friends were
suitably impressed!

Most of my 'hardcore' cycling coworkers thought my purchase was "good enough
for now"... and then, they find out I got a Fuji frame to build into my
'beater' for $15.

-bill

Old August 17th 03, 08:45 PM
Per Elmsäter

William Blum wrote:
"MisNomer" wrote in message
Congradulations on the new bike! At first i thought you had the new
"baby" stolen - and am glad that was not the case! I hope all your
friends were suitably impressed!

Most of my 'hardcore' cycling coworkers thought my purchase was "good
enough for now"... and then, they find out I got a Fuji frame to
build into my 'beater' for $15.

-bill

Just make sure it's the right size for you before you comitt yourself
--
Perre

Old August 18th 03, 12:54 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:54:53 -0400, William Blum
wrote:
and then going home... I'd guess I took a 4 mile "not-so-shortcut" home.

Couldn't resist, eh?

It's already starting.....

(postscript: I look out my front window today after reading the bike
book... and see 2 road bikes at a garage sale across the street....
$30 later, I have two parts bikes that I can use to have fun/learn during
rebuilding.)

The proper subject line for this message should have been:
It's Already Starting-- The Timeline of My Bike Obsession

Welcome to our world! G

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 18th 03, 11:05 PM
William Blum

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Watch out.... its addicting almost! Cool are you going to take a class or

work
from a book?

I'm going to work from a book.... I don't have the time to take a
non-degree related class right now.

(BS Physics expected May 2004, and if all goes well, MS Electrical
Engineering Dec 2005.)

I have most 'normal' tools, and a budget to accquire bike-specific tools as
needed.

-bill

Old August 19th 03, 01:27 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:19:38 -0400, William Blum
wrote:

Most of William's bike history, snipped

My bike history:
1. Little kid, don't remember
2. Ten or fifteen speed, 20" wheels, coaster brake + hand brakes
3. Don't remember
4. Huffy with black plastic cover on crankset -- turned out
to be very common at the time, and I was called a
poseur for it
5. Royce Union hybrid that must have weighed 50 pounds, had
27" knobby tires I couldn't replace, and was generally
worthless.
6. Real bikes, as described below...

I was always given dept. store bikes (with the exception of me having
saved
$350 to go to the bike shop in 10th grade, and my stepfather stealing the
cash out of my room, and coming home with a 12-speed from the sporting
goods
store in the mall.)... and I *always* tried to keep them running as

Why do children and young adults insist on
trusting family members? Family members are
the least trustworthy for that sort of issue,
because they share your living space and feel
it's okay to invade your space and use your
stuff.

I've never had a problem, although by the
time I was 14 I was securing my stuff as much
as possible (some of it needed to be secure
so that nobody knew I had it, if you catch my
drift . I don't have a scumbag family; but
whenever I couldn't find something, I never
blamed anybody else, and never had that
argument as a result.

I've witnessed other families who "trust"
eachother more, and their relationships seem
to suffer for it.

So, it was a nine-year gap between bikes....

I had a smaller gap, though I didn't understand
dept store quality vs. LBS quality until I was
18. I think I was 15 or 16 when I destroyed the
fork on my Royce Union, which had 27" knobbies
that I couldn't find a replacement for, so it
just seemed so futile to buy a bike when I was
going to be driving so soon.

Then, I must have been 18 when the bug to ride
bit me, and I studied hard and bought a GT
Outpost mountain bike. Years went by, and last
year I bought a nice road bike, and have since
rescued a few ten-speeds and a couple older,
but good, road bikes from people's garbage.
They're in no worse condition than what you find
at a yard sale, and are discounted by 100% of
what you'd pay at a yard sale...

So now I have a big collection of bikes that I
don't ride, will repair and sell...at a yard sale.

As Lance as my witness, I'll never go bike-less again.

Amen to that, brutha! G

--
Rick Onanian