Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Old August 8th 03, 04:23 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Dan Musicant wrote:

At the risk of getting flamed I'd like to ask what's the appeal of
recumbents....

Recumbents annoy Fabrizio - what more could one ask for?

Old August 8th 03, 04:30 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? --or-- Parallelparking

Rick Onanian wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:15:28 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:
to parallel park and getting their cars stuck sideways in the street

If they can't get into a spot 12 inches (30.5 cm) longer than the
vehicle they are driving, they should not have a driver's license.

I guess it depends what type of vehicle you're talking
about...it may be possible to do that in a small car,
but I've never driven anything less than 3500 pounds....

I used to live in an area with very limited on street parking, so I
usually ended up squeezing my VW Rabbit or Renault Encore into spaces no
one else would try to get into. One was only 8 inches longer than the
Rabbit (and I did not hit either parked vehicle with mine).

Old August 8th 03, 09:41 PM
Rick Onanian

On 08 Aug 2003 14:40:20 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
wrote:
than wide straight bars - hence a motorist with poor judgement will
always
slap the pannier first, which doesn't always result in a spill in the way
that a clipped handlebar does.

How about sharp spikes sticking off the sides of your
bars, or a blowtorch head off each end? Maybe they'd
give more room if they thought it could damage their
car more than a minor paint scratch...

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 9th 03, 04:52 PM
jacques

Well it probably also depends on the distance you ride, the clothes you
wear at work and so on. I'm only doing 4 miles one way, and I don't have
to wear very formal clothes; besides, there is no shower at work. It would
be ridiculous for me to get to work with that muddy line and have to carry
clean clothes on such a short distance. I don't consider my
daily ride as "sport". If you ride a much longer route and you have the
proper facilities at work then I can imagine your way makes sense.

Jacques
Old August 12th 03, 02:58 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:25:39 GMT, Dan Musicant
may have said:

What's an "MTB?" Multi-terrain bicycle?

Mountain bike. From the common abbreviation for mountain as "mt".
(Mall-Wart is a slightly pejorative term for a certain ubiquitous US
retailer.)

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old August 12th 03, 03:01 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:14:05 -0400, "Eric S. Sande"
may have said:

Ride through downtown Houston once and say that.

Everybody knows you Texans aren't Catholic.

Well, some of us aren't, but there are lots of folks named Rodriguez
and such who've been here a lot longer than *my* family, and a lot of
them sure are.

(I'm not a catholic myself, though; I can stop bringing home cats any
time I want to.)

Old August 12th 03, 11:52 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? --OR-- Cat hoarding

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:01:33 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:
(I'm not a catholic myself, though; I can stop bringing home cats any
time I want to.)

Eh? Is that it?

There's been a rash of cat hoarding discoveries here in
Rhode Island recently; apartments with 50 cats or more.

Maybe the people involved are catholic.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 03, 12:41 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Rick Onanian writes:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:01:33 GMT, Werehatrack

There's been a rash of cat hoarding discoveries here in
Rhode Island recently; apartments with 50 cats or more.

Maybe the people involved are catholic.

Cat-o-holics, anyways.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 13th 03, 07:12 AM
Donny Harder Jr.

Someone in this thread mentioned installing drop bars on a hybrid. Is
there a link that suggests how one sizes and chooses the bars? I imagine
some modification is in order (brakes, shifters, lights). Thanks.
Old August 13th 03, 08:15 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:12:48 -0500,
, "Donny Harder Jr."
wrote:

Someone in this thread mentioned installing drop bars on a hybrid. Is
there a link that suggests how one sizes and chooses the bars? I imagine
some modification is in order (brakes, shifters, lights). Thanks.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...off/index.html

This article explains changing bars and stems:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Though it's mostly about raising them, it discusses the principles.

Handlebar bends are all over the place. I've no idea how to size them
but their widths are fairly consistent within a limited range. Larger
person preferring the wider styles. Small hands could be problematic
with some bends. Moustache bars might get you low enough.

You'd have to assure compatibility between the new controls and your
present brakes and derailleurs.

A different size and style stem might also be required to accommodate
the new bars.

The radically changed riding posture might lead to a different saddle.
--
zk

Is 15 mile road bike commute too far? Jeffrey Pogodzinski General 39 August 7th 03 04:41 PM
Unbridled Hostility one of the six billion General 37 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
good bike shop..?? Froats General 0 July 16th 03 11:58 PM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM