Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Old August 13th 03, 11:23 AM
Suzy Jackson

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

"Donny Harder Jr." wrote in message
Someone in this thread mentioned installing drop bars on a hybrid. Is
there a link that suggests how one sizes and chooses the bars? I imagine
some modification is in order (brakes, shifters, lights). Thanks.

It's simple enough. Swap bars for bendy ones. Put on proper road bike
brake levers (with shifters in them if you're of a mind). Buy some real
700C wheels so you can run proper narrow slicks (Michelin axial carbon are
good IMHO) and throw away that silly mountain bike cranket in favour of a
real roady one, with 39 and 53 tooth chainwheels, and no sissy "granny"
gears.

That should do it. Of course it'd be cheaper to start with a proper road
bike to begin with, but just think what you could do with all the junk you
take off...

Regards,

Suzy

Old August 14th 03, 08:33 PM
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

one would
expect MTB components and frames to sell for less than the equivalent
road bike components. This is even more apparent when one compares
upright bike prices to the Dark Side, where a Cro-Moly frame bike with
Deore/Tiagra level components will often sell for 2 to 3 times as much
as the MTB and road bike equivalents.

You failed to mention the toothpasty, lawn mower quality welds and
smashed-flat-&-bolted frame details. That stuff ain't free, you know.
;-)

Chalo Colina
Old August 15th 03, 07:52 AM
Van Bagnol

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:44:51 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:
This fitting is fine but I'm American and converting to Kg and cm I can
do, but European shoe size is beyond me. Is there a site that won't
require these conversions?

For shoe sizes, look at sizing charts on bike product
sites like nashbar and performance. Unfortunately,
biking shoes are sized that way.

For general conversions, try
http://www.isaedmonton.ca/AlbertaDir...l/ConvertM.htm

A quick check on the inside of my Reebok and Nike shoes shows that both
brands are labeled with US, UK, EUR, and CM sizes.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com
....enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing / Skydiving / Mountain Biking
Old August 15th 03, 12:10 PM

One advantage of a road bike over a MTB or hybrid:

Drop handlebar bikes are easier to carry thru narrow doorways and
stairways.
Old August 18th 03, 12:06 PM
trg

Advantage of a MTB over a road bike- smaller frame/wheels and straight bars
make it easier to carry up flights of stairs (especially with a frame pack).

Old August 18th 03, 03:57 PM
Steven Scharf

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
Hey all,
I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
my nearly 8 year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it mainy
for offroad but a knee injury stopped that, and in the past few years I've
used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on
weekends, stuff like that).

I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than
a mountain bike. I most certainly don't want to be one of those kids riding
on the side of the road with a fully suspended downhill mountain bike with
the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.

I commute on a road bike, but if I were buying a bike
strictly for commuting then I'd buy something like
the Trek T300.

Unfortunately it is sold at only one store in all of
North America.
"http://bikegallery.com/site/intro.cfm"

If you're in Vancouver then it wouldn't
be too much of a drive.
Old August 18th 03, 11:44 PM
Harpie

I'd like to add another suggestion, and I hope I'm not repeating someone
else (I've been on vacation for the past week):

You might want to check your local police department for a bike auction. You
can sometimes find a very good road bike for half of its original cost, or
even less.

I also would suggest that you carefully examine where you're going to keep
your bike at work. Is there a secured area where only you have the key? A
bike locker?

Where I work (at a university) we have had nearly a dozen bicycles stolen
this summer, six of them worth close to $10,000. The bikes were kept in a
locked bicycle cage, but the thieves just lifted the door off its hinges and
off they went. The second round of thefts they just blasted through the door
with a cart or other motorized vehicle. The building management responded by
forbidding people from bringing their bikes to work (asshats!). I now keep
my bicycle in my office, which brings the security guards a runnin' but
until they provide a safe place for my bike that's the solution.

Good luck. I'd be cautious about spending a lot of money on a bike to ride
to work. Thieves can spot quality a long way off and it's a pain in the rear
to lose something you've spent a lot of money on. I ride a 20-year old trek
and have not had any problems (and I use a U-lock).
Marianne

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message
Thanks for the help... I think definately trying one out is in order!

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Is 15 mile road bike commute too far? Jeffrey Pogodzinski General 39 August 7th 03 04:41 PM
Unbridled Hostility one of the six billion General 37 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
good bike shop..?? Froats General 0 July 16th 03 11:58 PM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM