Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Old August 5th 03, 06:13 AM
Robin Hubert

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

"David Kerber" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate

than
a mountain bike. I most certainly don't want to be one of those kids

riding
on the side of the road with a fully suspended downhill mountain bike

with
the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.

I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and

get
me going as fast as possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's
definately more fun going nearly the speed of the cars instead of having
them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?

Depends on how strong a rider you are, but you usually won't be keeping
up with the cars unless traffic's pretty slow. It's nice to have them
slowly catch and then pass you, rather than just blowing by you, though
GGG.

Yes. On a good day, on my 15 mile commute, perhaps 6 or so cars will pass
me. That's in the Chicago suburbs, at about 11:00am or 8:00 pm.

--
Robin Hubert

Old August 5th 03, 06:54 AM
Bill Davidson

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and get
me going as fast as possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's
definately more fun going nearly the speed of the cars instead of having
them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?

Probably not. It will be faster than the MTB but unless you are a very
strong rider or traffic is congested, you won't be as fast as cars--even
in 25mph zones.

Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride,
with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the
road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is that why I don't see too
many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?

It's not that bad. It's just that the general public likes MTB's and SUV's.
This is not for any particularly well thought out reason. They just do.
I've seen tons of people on MTB's that don't seem to ever go off road. It
seems silly to me. Come to think of it, the same could be said of SUV's.
I live in Southern California and most SUV's here have never seen a dirt
road much less mud or snow. A little rain for 5 minutes a year is about it.

I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but I'm
wondering what people think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike?
Another reason for wanting to get a road bike is that I can convert my
mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of
riding I want to do.

I'd recomend a touring bike. They tend to have wider tires which run lower
pressures and so have a less harsh ride (not to mention having better
traction in the rain). They also have eyelets for racks and fenders which
can be really nice for commuting. Racing bikes tend not to have those.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old August 5th 03, 10:55 AM
trg

I use my mtb (unsprung, aluminum) to commute in the winter (rain here rather
than snow) and my touring bike(steel) to commute when it's dry. The mtb has
650x1.7 slicks and the tourer has 700x32. On the same route, I find the
tourer to be smoother (especially over cobblestones).

While I like the tourer, especially for extended touring, just for commuting
and training/fitness riding, I'd get a road bike (and in fact am buying
one). For that type of riding I don't need to be able to carry 40 pounds of
gear on the bike. Aggressive riding and responsiveness is more important
than cargo capacity.

Depends on the type of riding you do.

I do go faster on the tourer than the mtb according to the computer.

"Mike Beauchamp" a écrit dans le message
news: ...
Hey all,
I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
my nearly 8 year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it

mainy
for offroad but a knee injury stopped that, and in the past few years I've
used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on
weekends, stuff like that).

I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate

than
a mountain bike. I most certainly don't want to be one of those kids

riding
on the side of the road with a fully suspended downhill mountain bike with
the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.

I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and

get
me going as fast as possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's
definately more fun going nearly the speed of the cars instead of having
them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?

In the past few years, I've added slicks to my mountain bike, etc. All in
the name of a smoother and more efficient ride on pavement.

Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride,
with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in

the
road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is that why I don't see too
many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?

I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but

I'm
wondering what people think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike?
Another reason for wanting to get a road bike is that I can convert my
mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of
riding I want to do.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old August 5th 03, 01:13 PM
Peter Cole

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:02:12 -0400, "Mike Beauchamp"
may have said:

I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than
a mountain bike.

Road bikes, largely due to their narrow tires, tend to inherently be
more efficient. If the posture doesn't bother you, and your roads are
in reasonably good shape, a road bike is probably a good replacement
for the mtb.

At typical speeds, the efficiency of a road bike comes from aerodynamics. You
can get a similar position on any MTB, but the flat bar means you'll have to
stay in it. Road bikes are significantly lighter, which helps a little in
hilly country. The real problem with MTBs is that they're geared all wrong for
road riding.

Old August 5th 03, 01:47 PM
mark freedman

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...

I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace

used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on
weekends, stuff like that).

As I pointed out in Email, theft is an issue when a bike is
locked up for extended lengths of time. By all means, buy a
road bike or touring bike for your recreational rides, but use
a clunker for the 10Km ride to and from school. Anything valuable
will tempt thieves.

Unless you live in an unspoiled Eden.

hth
Old August 5th 03, 04:08 PM
ant

"Gazoo" wrote in message .ca...

or a cyclocross bike?

yes!

my commutermobile of choice: surly crosscheck, with 28c tires, and a
front cross lever. burly, fast, comfortable, etc.

'course, these run somewhere around 8-900 US last time i looked, so
thats more than what you were looking to spend, maybe.
Old August 5th 03, 09:14 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
Mike Beauchamp wrote:
Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride,
with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the
road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is that why I don't see too
many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?

A road bike should be good for on-road commuting. If you are concerned
about ride comfort, consider a road bike that can have wider (smooth)
tires installed, such as a touring variety (which also has mountings
and clearance for racks and fenders).

Timothy J. Lee

Is 15 mile road bike commute too far? Jeffrey Pogodzinski General 39 August 7th 03 04:41 PM
Unbridled Hostility one of the six billion General 37 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
good bike shop..?? Froats General 0 July 16th 03 11:58 PM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM