I hate Harley Davidson!

Old August 7th 03, 06:30 PM
Zoot Katz

Default I hate Harley Davidson!

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 07:41:16 -0000,
, Skokatt
wrote:

higher gears to their
bicycles so that they could keep up with posted speed limits.

Posted speeds are the maximum. You aren't obliged to go that fast.
--
zk
Old August 7th 03, 07:09 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:07:06 GMT, Robin Hubert
wrote:
variety. Aside from that, why does everyone feel it's their duty to warn
of the possible responses to my actions. sarcasm on Ya know, I might've
never thought aggressive behavior might lead to conflict. Do you suggest
hold a crumpet and tea party to explain my views to all these idiots?

Good point, but doing something that will result in a brawl,
even if you were trying to be peaceful and they attacked, is
bad for both groups. It makes the whole rest of the world,
especially the lawmakers who could possibly make a difference
(not that they would), think we're all idiots.

Also, a bicyclist with broken legs doesn't get far.

Anyway, back when John Wayne was a hero I learned that you don't let
criminals run you out of your neighborhood. I laugh at fearmongers who
say
"Don't say anything! You never know what they might do!" to anyone who
might be doing something wrong.

That is a good point. Many of us grew up after John Wayne
ceased to be a mass-market hero [myself included], but could
stand to adopt a little bit of that attitude.

--
Robin Hubert

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 7th 03, 07:12 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:23:39 GMT, Robin Hubert
wrote:
up for her) Alot of times I'll pull up to these guys on my bike, look at
them, puff up my chest, and pound on it like Tarzan, with each and every
throttle blip.

This has got to be a comical picture. I'd love to see it.

Maybe I'll try it if I find myself in that situation.

Give me a break. Most of you guys are jokes (not you, necessarily) and
need
to live in Montana or somewhere they only infringe on the rights of
moose.

There are moose in Montana? I thought just cows there.

Moose are cool. I damn near got my Pontiac mauled 6 or 7
times in one week while in Maine...

--
Robin Hubert

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 7th 03, 09:14 PM
Phil

Skokatt wrote in message ...
"Robin Hubert" wrote in
nk.net:

****ing children. I wish my taxes would enforce laws to force these
assholes to muffle these over-priced ego builders.

Maybe those same tax dollars could enforce laws to force biking assholes
to add head lights, brake lights, turn signals, and higher gears to their
bicycles so that they could keep up with posted speed limits.

Bikers are not required to have these things under the law. Posted
speed limits are limits and not requirements. You can't enforce laws
that aren't there. Motorcycles are required by law to have mufflers
and be under a certain sound level. Yet many if not most Harleys
are't even close to being within the law. That's what ticks many
non-motorcyclists off.

Please don't view this as a flame toward you personally... but as an
example of how people think other people's form of transportation should
be more like their own. A lot of the posts here talk of how motorist are
unaware of the lifestyle of a bicyclist, yet here you are applying the
same prejudice toward motorcyclist.

Law enforcement is not prejudice. Well, ok, maybe the rest of his
rant was.

Just a thought...

Mine too...
Old August 8th 03, 12:35 AM
Eric

Well, remember that they will be deaf at 30 (or 10 years, whichever
comes first). Sound drops off exponentially (sp) as you get further
from it. Since you are being lulled out of sleep by the bikes, just
imagine how loud it is for them.

And, to make it worse (for them), it won't just be deafness. They will
most likely have tinitus (sp again), a terrible ringing in the ears
all the time. Trust me, it isn't fun. I have a touch of it from
playing the trombone for years and working in rooms with cooling fans
running all the time. I can only imagine what will happen to most of
these people when they are older.

Eric

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message ink.net...
... or at least, the image.

The next time some idiot blasts past me and rips the throttle for my
amusement I'm going to knock them off their bikes at the next stop, if I
catch them. If these pukes keep waking me up every morning blasting their
over-priced noise-makers past my apartment, I'm going to take up street-side
protest with a sign that says "Harley riders are pussys!"

****ing children. I wish my taxes would enforce laws to force these
assholes to muffle these over-priced ego builders.

Anyone else want to throw rocks at these idiots?

Old August 8th 03, 12:58 AM
GRL

You should rethink point no.2. Diversity of speed on a road is NOT a good
thing and, in fact, leads to accidents. The safest road situations (other
factors being held constant) are those where the traffic is moving and the
same speed or very nearly so. Large speed differences are a great way to beg
for accidents. You cannot seriously think that putting bicyclists and
agricultural tractors on a high speed highway with traffic flow moving at
70+ m.p.h. is a good thing.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"Luigi de Guzman" wrote in message
om...
"Robin Hubert" wrote in message

ink.net...

Anyone else want to throw rocks at these idiots?

Nope, not me.

Why?

1) Motorcyclists in general, Harley riders included, are usually
extremely polite to me. I think there's a certain cameraderie in
being on two wheels, exposed to the elements, and vigorously asserting
one's right to be on the roadway in the face of wave after wave of
Cadillac Escalades. (Trivia time: "escalade" is actually a technical
military term, referring to the taking of a fortress by storm, using
ladders to scale the walls. yuk.)

Heck, I even wave at some of them, and a lot of them wave back.

2) I'm generally in favour of more diversity among road-users. This
embraces motorcyclists, pedal cyclists, tractors, equestrians, etc.

3) Back at home, the motorcycle cops ride Harleys. I wave at them.
They wave back. They also wave me through intersections they happen
to be controlling. I know them all by face, and they know me by face
and bike. I feel safer.

I figure you merely encountered an asshole, and even my brief
experience on this world has taught me that assholes are more or less
equally-distributed among all walks of life and modes of transport.

That said, there is one regulation on motorcycles that I'd be keen to
introduce. Here in England, where I'm studying now, the law restricts
what sort of motorcycle you are allowed to operate at which age. You
are permitted to ride progressively more powerful motorcycles
(measured by engine displacement in cubic centimetres) as you grow
older. This is a fantastic idea, and I don't know why it doesn't
catch on in north america...

heck, I'd be all for instituting a similar rule on engine displacement
or power for cars, as well. That way, you don't have kids doing
stupid things in stupid-powerful cars, obliterating themselves and
endangering everybody else.

-Luigi

Luigi for Transportation Tsar: Fair and Balanced!

Old August 8th 03, 01:28 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:35:28 -0300, Chris Phillipo cphillipo@ramsays-
online.coim wrote:
and what not, they take it outside and the harley guy gets his ass kicked
by a guy in pink and blue lycra.

Well, consider this about bicyclists:
-- The lycra gives us freedom of movement to fight
-- The legs are strong from bicycling
-- The feet have metal cleats on them.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 8th 03, 01:48 AM
Rick Onanian

On 7 Aug 2003 16:21:13 -0700, Chalo wrote:
option for me. That requirement might have left me as just another
jerk with a full-sized pickup truck as personal transportation.

What's wrong with a full-sized pickup as personal transportation?

Mine is a lot more comfortable than any car I've had, and
much more useful, to boot.

Though I probably wouldn't have it if I didn't also need it
for work...now I'm addicted and will never go back. Maybe a
second vehicle will be a muscle car, or a ricer.

Chalo Colina

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 8th 03, 04:46 AM
Mark Jones

"Skokatt" wrote in message
Please don't view this as a flame toward you personally... but as an
example of how people think other people's form of transportation should
be more like their own. A lot of the posts here talk of how motorist are
unaware of the lifestyle of a bicyclist, yet here you are applying the
same prejudice toward motorcyclist.

Excessive noise is a bad thing. There is no reason for
a Harley to be as loud as most of them are.

Old August 8th 03, 04:16 PM
Robin Hubert

news
wrote:
up for her) Alot of times I'll pull up to these guys on my bike, look

at
them, puff up my chest, and pound on it like Tarzan, with each and every
throttle blip.

This has got to be a comical picture. I'd love to see it.

Pretty funny, really. Rarely, one of these guys will have a sense of humor
about it. Most of 'em look confused and some get ****ed off and rev it up
to show me up.