I hate Harley Davidson!

Old August 8th 03, 07:00 PM
Dick Durbin

Default I hate Harley Davidson!

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message ink.net...
... or at least, the image.

The next time some idiot blasts past me and rips the throttle for my
amusement I'm going to knock them off their bikes at the next stop, if I
catch them. If these pukes keep waking me up every morning blasting their
over-priced noise-makers past my apartment, I'm going to take up street-side
protest with a sign that says "Harley riders are pussys!"

****ing children. I wish my taxes would enforce laws to force these
assholes to muffle these over-priced ego builders.

Anyone else want to throw rocks at these idiots?

Go check out rec.motorcycles.harley and look at the thread "**** Lance
Armstrong" to see what the Harley riders are saying about bicyclists.
Old August 8th 03, 09:35 PM
Russ Price

Dick Durbin wrote:
Go check out rec.motorcycles.harley and look at the thread "**** Lance
Armstrong" to see what the Harley riders are saying about bicyclists.

Funny thing is, I've never had Harley riders hassle me on the road.
Indeed, the Harley types are the most likely to wave or give the
thumbs-up sign [1] of all motor vehicle operators I've encountered.

Then again, I ride a recumbent, so the "outlaw" factor probably comes
into play.

[1] For American values of thumbs-up. In the Arab world, thumbs-up is
like the US one-fingered salute, or the UK two-fingered salute.
--
Russ --kill the wabbit to despam
"The Segway: revolutionizing the way people get hit by cars."
Old August 8th 03, 10:08 PM
Rick Onanian

On 8 Aug 2003 11:00:39 -0700, Dick Durbin wrote:
Go check out rec.motorcycles.harley and look at the thread "**** Lance
Armstrong" to see what the Harley riders are saying about bicyclists.

Just did. They're not such bad guys:
Jeezus! Kenny Rogers on a bicycle? Like an olive
skewered with a toothpick.

If they can come up with that, from a thread about Lance
Legstrong causing cyclists to come out of the woodwork
and ride track bikes on the road, then they must be worth
something.
--
Rick Onanian
Old August 8th 03, 11:11 PM
Rick Onanian

On 8 Aug 2003 14:26:50 -0700, Chalo wrote:
What's wrong with a full-sized pickup as personal transportation?

What's wrong with a 12ga. shotgun for kitchen pest control?
What's wrong with a claw hammer for dental extraction?
What's wrong with pepper spray for disciplining your child?
What's wrong with destroying the village in order to save it?

Those items are on an entirely different scale.

Mine is a lot more comfortable than any car I've had, and
much more useful, to boot.

When I need a truck, I rent a truck.

I find that, with my truck, I can easily pick up bicycles
that are in people's garbage, and save landfill space, as
well as the environmental contamination caused by the
grease from them in the landfill, as well as resulting in
somebody riding a bike instead of a car occasionally, as
well as somebody re-using an existing bike instead of
buying a newly-manufactured one (of which the process of
manufacturing causes much pollution and waste).

Additionally, when I or somebody else needs a truck, I
have a modern, efficient one that can carry big loads,
instead of renting a big, old, abused one that pollutes
and uses lots of dinosaur juice.

When I only need a car, well, my truck gets similar
mileage to any car I would drive anyway; you'll never
cram me into a compact. Muscle car, okay. Big comfort
car, okay. Either way, I'm not getting more than 20mpg.

To drive one around, empty, as personal transportation, is to proclaim
that one's self-centeredness weighs at least 1/2 ton.

The other issue, for me, is that it's a combined work
and personal vehicle. I do require it for work.

If I drove a seperate car for personal use, then I:

-- Have a second vehicle which was manufactured.
Manufacturing uses energy and pollutes.

-- Have to dispose of two vehicles, instead of one,
at the end of their useful lives...and believe
me, you get a lot more mileage out of a vehicle
than you do years, so one vehicle == less waste.

-- Have many personal and financial reasons to have
only one vehicle.

-- Don't have to use any special racks for my bicycles
when I need to transport them.

If I only ever drove it for personal use, then your
arguments would carry a little more weight; and
certainly many people do. However, a modern pickup,
even a full size, is scarcely different than a large
car, and certainly better than many SUVs that weigh
even more, have even worse drag coefficients, and
tend to be driven by people who really have no idea
that they handle differently and can't handle that.

Not to mention...some people very commonly need to
move large / heavy / dirty items for personal use.
I've moved two refrigerators in the past week on
personal time for personal purposes. Should I have
rented a leaking, polluting, wasting rental truck
with money that I'd rather not spend, twice?

Chalo Colina

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 8th 03, 11:41 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:11:01 -0400, ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

I find that, with my truck, I can easily pick up bicycles
that are in people's garbage, and save landfill space

\szip
I've moved two refrigerators in the past week on
personal time for personal purposes.

\szip

la dee da.

I frequently carry home junkers with my bicycle. I've even taken two
at once.
Fridges? Don't need no steenkin' truck for that either, hero.
http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/g...pianomove.html
--
zk
Old August 9th 03, 01:32 AM
Mark Jones

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
When I need a truck, I rent a truck.

To drive one around, empty, as personal transportation, is to proclaim
that one's self-centeredness weighs at least 1/2 ton.

I want one that weighs at least 7000 pounds.

Old August 9th 03, 01:34 AM
Mark Jones

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
-- Have to dispose of two vehicles, instead of one,
at the end of their useful lives...and believe
me, you get a lot more mileage out of a vehicle
than you do years, so one vehicle == less waste.

I have put less than 5,000 miles per year on both
my car and truck. I just don't drive them very far.

Old August 9th 03, 02:22 AM
Jeff

Default I Love Harley Davidson!

Okay, as an alternative to the thread that's been going on and on and on...

rant on
HD provides excellent customer service and care.

HD produces an excellent product. If you doubt it, buy a Harley today and
sell it 5 years from now for as much as you paid for it (try doing that with
your run of the mill car). In 10 years, you'll probably be able to sell it
for more than you paid for it. Furthermore, I've found their bikes to be
comfortable, highly customizable, and capable of surviving the abuse of a
new rider who didn't have a clue about what he (me) was doing.

If you don't like the way some HD customers use their bikes, I can agree
with that. Most of the HD riders I know, and I know many, are very
friendly, decent people - the type of folks you'd want to have as neighbors.
rant off

Have a great weekend. Personally, I'm looking forward to a couple of hours
cycling in Birds Hill Park tomorrow, against the wind and up hill all the
way.