I hate Harley Davidson!

Old August 11th 03, 08:50 PM
Zoot Katz

Default I Love Harley Davidson!

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:47:13 -0400,
, archer
wrote:

Why can't I get that same jersey in a nice bright
yellow or hi-viz color without all the advertising on it?

You can. Just look around. There's even a few with some tastefully
artsy designs instead of the cartoon type motifs.
--
zk
Old August 11th 03, 09:00 PM
Bill Davidson

Stephen Harding wrote:
Why do some bicyclists wear jerseys from teams they are not
members of?

The same reason people wear jerseys from their favorite football,
basketball and baseball teams. I admit the advertising does make
it seem more crass and I personally would never do it but some
people seem to like it. I can't see paying the extra high prices
they pay for these things when you can get clothes of the same
quality without all the ugly advertising for less money but that's
just me.

Why would someone buy a Trek USPS frame if they are
not even on the team or don't even race? What was the appeal of
buying a bike with some road racer's name (Lemonde, Merkx) on it?

They are good bikes in the same price range as similar quality bikes.
Why not get them if one is in the market for that type of bike and
has the budget for it?

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old August 11th 03, 09:02 PM
Stephen Harding

Phil wrote:

Stephen Harding wrote in message ...
Roadside Artist wrote:

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message

| The appeal of the Harley isn't its technological wonders. Not especially
| wondrous at all.
|
| It's the mystique! There's a reason why every Hog sent for sale in Japan
| is sold when it arrives. It ain't because it's a better bike than what
| the Japanese produce!

You mean, it's a substitute for an adequate-sized dick?

That might be most of the explanation, although there are a
significant number of women who love Hogs too.

Why do some bicyclists wear jerseys from teams they are not
members of?

Jerseys are functional quality clothing.

Somebody's logo, name or team makes them quality?

Why would someone buy a Trek USPS frame if they are
not even on the team or don't even race?

Because they wanted Trek's best bike.

Have my doubts about that. Trek's most expensive bike perhaps, not
really certain, but I think you pay a bit more for that frame simply
because of the paint and lettering, not any real functional performance
enhancement.

Mike can probably correct me if I'm way off here.

What was the appeal of
buying a bike with some road racer's name (Lemonde, Merkx) on it?

Also good bikes.

Made even "better" by the application of someone's name I'd venture.

One need not focus on the motor vehicle industry to find examples
of image directing consumption in people so lacking in sense of
self that they allow others to define it for them!

True, but you gave poor examples. Harleys are priced like the best
but are not among the best. That's why Harley riders are so easy to
make fun of. They pay a huge premium for the privelege of riding an
inferior motorcycle.

Harley's are not inferior bikes in many categories. They are high
priced because of demand, just like any other product. The quality
control of HD has dramatically improved to the current time. They look
great too. All the Japanese makers have HD clones. The V-twin is
popular because of HD (and Indian).

Can you get a more cost effective motorcycle? Absolutely. You can
get a more cost effective bicycle without picking up a USPS Trek IMHO.

A great deal of the reason behind putting someone's name on a product
is to enhance sales and get more money for it if you can. It rarely
ever makes the product better.

Stuff with Khobi Bryant's name removed from it is not suddenly inferior
merchandise, except from an association (image) issue...and that's
how the game is played. Image is everything to far too many. But
there's nothing really wrong with that as long as it doesn't become
too controlling to an individual (IMO).

SMH

Old August 11th 03, 09:14 PM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:50:04 -0400,
, archer
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with a person putting their name their product.

What if it's not their product at all?

http://www.cervelo.com/images/lyne_bessette_finis.jpg
--
zk
Old August 11th 03, 09:15 PM
Bob M

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:00:02 -0700, Bill Davidson
wrote:

Stephen Harding wrote:
[...]

I bought a LeMond for its geometry. It puts you further back behind the
pedals, which I like and was not possible with my Trek.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old August 12th 03, 01:25 AM
Rick Onanian

Default I hate Harley Davidson!

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:03:26 -0300, Chris Phillipo cphillipo@ramsays-
online.coim wrote:
The Corvette is so much better that it is had to imagine.

It's shaped like a penis so that there can be no mistake why the onwer
purchased it.

I can't imagine a penis shaped like that...but if
that's what yours is like, well, good for you. You
might consider a freak show. G

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 12th 03, 02:10 AM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:50:04 -0400,
, archer
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with a person putting their name their product.

What if it's not their product at all?

Well then it's just stupid. Marketing actually, if there's a difference
G,D&R

http://www.cervelo.com/images/lyne_bessette_finis.jpg

That's not a LeMond bike? There's no way I could tell just by looking.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old August 12th 03, 03:09 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:06:30 -0400,
, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:47:13 -0400,
, archer
wrote:

Why can't I get that same jersey in a nice bright
yellow or hi-viz color without all the advertising on it?

You can. Just look around. There's even a few with some tastefully
artsy designs instead of the cartoon type motifs.

Can you point out any to me? I couldn't find many in Nashbar or
Performance. There are lots of cheaper (in quality) ones around. Most
of the high-quality ones I've seen have the logos and ads on them.

The maker's logo is fairly discreet but they all have one.

http://www.sugoi.ca/sugoimain/main.aspx?sectionID=446
http://tinyurl.com/jpwc

REI and MEC sell some plain jerseys.

Hind, Pearl Izumi, Zoic, Canari, Cannondale, Descente. . . etc. They
all make lots of plain ones
http://tinyurl.com/jpx6
--
zk