CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

Old August 10th 03, 08:42 AM
Arpit

Default CNN anchor pleads guilty to hit-and-run of cyclist in NY

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:50:26 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

"Rivermist" wrote in message
what a lame punishment

Years ago, I got in a motorcycle accident. I was JRA, and the idiot ran a
red light, hit me, and left the scene. Cops caught him a few blocks later.
He had no idea whether I was dead or alive as he drove off.

Did they catch him themselves, or did you have to ring them?
20 yr old person of non-US descent (gotta be PC), ran a red light, hit and
run, drunk, unregistered weapon in the car, no insurance.

He was allowed to plead guilty to reckless driving. Got a $400 fine,
probation, and had to go to drunk school.

Things haven't changed much

Pete

Old August 10th 03, 06:16 PM
Doctor Phibes

Joshua Putnam wrote in message news:MPG.199f764f81a8cd3e9896f4@localhost...
In article ,
says...

I think
there might be a way to force insurance companies to do serious
background checks on prospective clients.

It's already standard for insurance companies to do background checks on
prospective clients -- a check for past convictions with the DMV, and a
check for involvement in past claims with the Comprehensive Loss
Underwriting Exchange, which tracks insurance claims from most insurers.

But it's not the job of an insurance company to take away the license of
a bad driver. That's the DMV's job.

The insurance company can decline to insure you, but that won't stop you
from driving -- a good fraction of the drivers on the road are uninsured
already, one more won't be noticed before he hurts someone. Or they can
charge you a lot more for your insurance, but that won't stop you from
driving badly, either, it's just a recognition that your driving costs
other people more money.

If you want someone's background to stop them from driving, you need to
make that the law, not an insurance regulation.

Insurance companies are a scam. They should be regulated more to
perform more than those kind of checks. I seriously they actually look
at the car they're insuring! lol I mean these idiots here have their
cars set up illegally ie; heavy tinted windows, shocks lowered,
partly removed so the car's frame hovers a few inches above the
street. The police will not enforce these obvious violations that
endanger the safety of others on the road.

I don't own a car myself but I believe a person in my state has to
cover some basic insurance. I could be wrong about that but I doubt
it. You dont belong on the road if you're operating such a dangerous
device without insurance. The insurance companies should not be
insuring those who could be a danger to others. The actual car should
be inspected, the person should have to undergo a drug test. Why
random drug testing would be good.

I am also in favor of having foreignors who
fresh off the boat transfer their licence. That's got to stop. If they
can't speak or write english they shouldn't be driving.

Preposterous. What does speaking or writing English have to do with
driving skills? It's entirely possible to get a U.S. license without
reading or speaking English. Turn signals and traffic signals don't
depend on language skills, they're color-coded and geomtrically
standardized -- a red octogon means stop whether it says "STOP" or
"ARRET" or doesn't have words on it at all.

Ummm if you can't read english how do you understand street signs,
exit signs, highway signs? You're driving erraticly. Those people make
sudden and unpredictable manuevers. I'm not just picking on foreignors
it's all drivers as I stated above. There needs to be more testing,
more often. Maybe if it becomes more difficult to get a license more
people will commute by bike making are air a little cleaner and other
country a little less fat. Funny thing as a cyclist I'm color blind to
those so called universal signs. All signs are red, go when safe.
Old August 10th 03, 10:05 PM
Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...
[...]

Well then, there's your problem -- the police won't enforce the laws.

If a car is licensed for street use, that means the Department of
Licensing has approved it for use on the streets. Unless you want to do
away with the police and the Department of Licensing, why not have them
do their jobs themselves, rather than asking insurance companies to
duplicate work the government is supposedly being paid to do already?

I don't own a car myself but I believe a person in my state has to
cover some basic insurance. I could be wrong about that but I doubt
it. You dont belong on the road if you're operating such a dangerous
device without insurance. The insurance companies should not be
insuring those who could be a danger to others. The actual car should
be inspected, the person should have to undergo a drug test. Why
random drug testing would be good.

But it's not insurance companies out there driving official cars with
lights and sirens and carrying guns to get dangerous drivers off the
roads. If someone is doing something illegal, you call the police, not
their insurance agent.

Yes, insurance is mandatory in most states. And believe me, if you could
get half the uninsured motorists in my town to come on in and get
insurance, I'd be all in favor of it. But I can't force them to buy
insurance, and neither can any other insurance company. That's up to
(again) the police and the DMV.

I am also in favor of having foreignors who
fresh off the boat transfer their licence. That's got to stop. If they
can't speak or write english they shouldn't be driving.

Preposterous. What does speaking or writing English have to do with
driving skills? It's entirely possible to get a U.S. license without
reading or speaking English. Turn signals and traffic signals don't
depend on language skills, they're color-coded and geomtrically
standardized -- a red octogon means stop whether it says "STOP" or
"ARRET" or doesn't have words on it at all.

Ummm if you can't read english how do you understand street signs,
exit signs, highway signs?

There's a huge difference between reading and speaking English and simply
being able to recognize English place names. I suppose Washington State
should require all drivers to know French, in case they're trying to go
to Des Moines or Mt. Rainier or Salmon la Sac. How many Native American
languages should we require them to know, do you suppose, in case they're
going to Seattle, Puyallup, Issaquah, or Klahowya? Somehow, English-only
drivers manage to read all those signs anyway.

You don't need to know the language to recognize names on street signs,
or to identify highway signs, or to interpret traffic control signs. The
Uniform Manual of Traffic Control Devices is specifically intended to
make signs intelligible without knowing the language at all.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old August 11th 03, 03:07 AM
Pete

"Arpit" wrote

Years ago, I got in a motorcycle accident. I was JRA, and the idiot ran a
red light, hit me, and left the scene. Cops caught him a few blocks

later.
He had no idea whether I was dead or alive as he drove off.

Did they catch him themselves, or did you have to ring them?

A witness (another car at the stop light) took off after him, and chased him
down. The cops were a few blocks down the street.

Pete

Old August 11th 03, 04:23 PM

Joshua Putnam wrote:

The insurance company can decline to insure you, but that won't stop you
from driving -- a good fraction of the drivers on the road are uninsured
already, one more won't be noticed before he hurts someone. Or they can
charge you a lot more for your insurance, but that won't stop you from
driving badly, either, it's just a recognition that your driving costs
other people more money.

If you want someone's background to stop them from driving, you need to
make that the law, not an insurance regulation.

The lack of insurance, or even a drivers license won't keep bad drivers
off the road. As long as the cops won't catch them, and they usually
won't, there is no problem. In Michigan, a license suspension/revokation
means practically nothing. The legislature is toying around with the
idea of penalizing drivers with a yearly fee based upon the number of
points on their record. The fee is ridiculously low, much lower than
one month's SUV payment. All it guarantee's is the rich can drive like
maniacs with impugnity while the poor rotten drivers will drive without
insurance and a license. Only seizure of the vehicles owned by those with
suspended and revoked licenses will make a real difference. Whenever
that idea is mentioned everyone gets upset.

The penalties aren't just weak for hitting a cyclist. You can kill SUV
drivers too and get off on probation.

http://tinyurl.com/jnkd
--
Eric

Old August 11th 03, 11:34 PM
Doctor Phibes

[...]

Believe me the police here are only interested in puting in 20 years
as easily as possible unless one of them is shot. Oh then they rally
around their "brother". Last cop who was shot gave a description of
the shooter, when that man had an alibi, the cop admitted he shot
himself! 200 cops, 200! where on the hunt, 4 helicopters. You could be
raped and bleeding to death in this city and they'd stop off on dunkin
donuts on the way.

There's a huge difference between reading and speaking English and

simply
being able to recognize English place names. I suppose Washington State
should require all drivers to know French, in case they're trying to go
to Des Moines or Mt. Rainier or Salmon la Sac. How many Native American
languages should we require them to know, do you suppose, in case they're
going to Seattle, Puyallup, Issaquah, or Klahowya? Somehow, English-only
drivers manage to read all those signs anyway.

You don't need to know the language to recognize names on street signs,
or to identify highway signs, or to interpret traffic control signs. The
Uniform Manual of Traffic Control Devices is specifically intended to
make signs intelligible without knowing the language at all.

I was just responding to that poster. What I meant was the cultural
differences are not just about language, language is part of the way
people think. It's also part of how people learn the rules of another
society and i dont think the people who immigrate from cape verde or
carribean take the time to know the rules of the roads, where they
apply to a dangerous device, their car. Just an observation.
Old August 12th 03, 12:17 AM
Rick Onanian

On 10 Aug 2003 10:16:11 -0700, Doctor Phibes
wrote:
Insurance companies are a scam. They should be regulated more to
perform more than those kind of checks. I seriously they actually look
at the car they're insuring! lol I mean these idiots here have their

Did you mean "I seriously _doubt_ they actually look..."?

cars set up illegally ie; heavy tinted windows, shocks lowered,
partly removed so the car's frame hovers a few inches above the
street. The police will not enforce these obvious violations that
endanger the safety of others on the road.

The aformentioned modifications, while they tend to look
rather silly and have a detrimental effect on the vehicle's
performance and comfort, and while they may be illegal,
rarely pose any more safety hazard than many legal unsafeties.

I don't own a car myself but I believe a person in my state has to
cover some basic insurance. I could be wrong about that but I doubt
it. You dont belong on the road if you're operating such a dangerous
device without insurance. The insurance companies should not be
insuring those who could be a danger to others. The actual car should
be inspected

In states where insurance is required, insurance companies
are required to sell insurance to everybody. There's in-depth
and rather strict laws, and procedures / organizations set up
to deal with the issue of insurance risks, often called the
"risk pool".

In Rhode Island, where I live, insurance is required to
register your vehicle. People buy insurance, get the car
registered, and then stop paying the insurance. Some do keep
the insurance, and pay through the nose for it.

The vehicles are inspected by the state. This is true in
every state in the US, I'm pretty sure. The state
inspections, despite appearing to do little, actually do
help. However, if somebody has an illegal modification,
they will undo it before the inspection, and redo it after.

, the person should have to undergo a drug test. Why
random drug testing would be good.

No, enforcement of safe driving would be good. Random
drug testing would be bad for a whole lot of reasons,
but we don't need that discussion here.

Ummm if you can't read english how do you understand street signs,
exit signs, highway signs? You're driving erraticly. Those people make

Agreed.

it's all drivers as I stated above. There needs to be more testing,
more often. Maybe if it becomes more difficult to get a license more

Agreed, especially noting the rash of elderly drivers
killing people lately. Every couple days, I hear about
another one, drove into a festival, drove the wrong way
down the freeway, whatever. Many elderly are fine drivers,
if a little slow, but many others are dangerous and
untested.

people will commute by bike making are air a little cleaner and other
country a little less fat. Funny thing as a cyclist I'm color blind to
those so called universal signs. All signs are red, go when safe.

People will not commute by bike...especially the fat ones.

I find it disconcerting that people rarely consider color
blind people. Oh well...they make do with our existing
systems, I guess.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 03, 08:37 AM
Hunrobe

(Doctor Phibes)

wrote in part:

Believe me the police here are only interested in puting in 20 years
as easily as possible unless one of them is shot. Oh then they rally
around their "brother". Last cop who was shot gave a description of
the shooter, when that man had an alibi, the cop admitted he shot
himself! 200 cops, 200! where on the hunt, 4 helicopters. You could be
raped and bleeding to death in this city and they'd stop off on dunkin
donuts on the way.

What city are you talking about?