Dogs

Old July 17th 03, 11:40 AM
GABIKE

Default Dogs

Then how about hogtieing them and staking them out on an ant bed?

You would just get mad at the dog for trying to defend himself from the ants.
Old July 17th 03, 03:59 PM
Alexander Gilchrist

Kevan Smith wrote:

Then how about hogtieing them and staking them out on an ant bed?

No, that's the punishment for the owners that let them loose.

This whole thread was covered in depth about a month ago. Why are we
dragging it out again? Is the weather too hot or otherwise inclement
for biking?

Alexander Gilchrist
Old July 18th 03, 02:58 AM
Robin Hubert

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:01:17 GMT, "Robin Hubert"

from
EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net wrote:

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:42:33 GMT, "F1"

from
EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net wrote:

You exaggerate the rights of an attacking animal.

No, I fully realize you have the right to defend yourself. Using

ammonia
is
cruel. You won't kill the animal, but you will likely maim it for life.

There
are better solutions to the problem than that cruelty.

Oh, stop the bull****! A dilute ammonia solution in a squirt gun or

bottle
ain't gonna blind nothin' for life, you idiot! Hurts like hell does not
equal blindness.

This is the first time anyone has said "dilute ammonia." If you don't

think
full-strength ammonia will blind you, pour some in your eyes.

Aw-right. I don't know if anyone proposed using full-strength household
ammonia, but I don't think anyone here would want to carry that ****.

Just to be proper, I'll read the whole thread (after July 11, 2003, that
is).

Ok, using Google, nothing at all about ammonia or I just misread everything.
Can you point me to this bit of text?

--
Robin Hubert

Old July 18th 03, 05:41 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:17:56 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

Actually, the guy just said the word "ammonia," and I assumed (yes, I know) that
it was just ordinary, undiluted household ammonia. You were, though, the first
to use the word "dilute."

Well, his use of "reagent bottle" led me to believe he was thinking
about reagent grade ammonia. Household Ammonia is very much diluted
already.

"Ammonia dissolves readily in water, and advantage can often be taken
of this to remove ammonia from gas process streams by washing.
Solutions of ammonia in water are weakly basic and, as "household
ammonia", find use in domestic cleaning and disinfecting. More
concentrated solutions are used in the chemical laboratory.
Reagent-grade ammonia solutions are colorless. The usual laboratory
concentrated reagent solutions are 28% NH3 by mass; their density is
0.90 kg/L, which corresponds to a 14.8 molar aqueous solution of
ammonia. "

Ammonia is used at dog shows for breaking up fights. Towels are soaked
in concentrated ammonia and thrown over the dogs heads.

If your're going to squirt the dog with anything use tobasco or lemon
juice or vinegar or soy sauce. Might as well start marinating him
because if it bites me, I'll eat the ****er right there.

Here's the original message I responded to:

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Dogs

quoting:

"In that case, the a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled
with ammonia that I carry came in handy: one good, hard shot
straight into that dog's eyes stopped it cold."

--
zk
Old July 18th 03, 08:37 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:41:09 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, Zoot
Katz wrote:

Ammonia is used at dog shows for breaking up fights. Towels are soaked
in concentrated ammonia and thrown over the dogs heads.

Household ammonia in plastic containers has been used as a bear
repellent in Alaskan dumpsters for quite a while. Bear bites the
container, gets a snort of ammonia, drops it, and *never* returns
to that garbage source (and perhaps all human garbage).

Old July 18th 03, 12:31 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Zoot Katz wrote:

If your're going to squirt the dog with anything use tobasco or lemon
juice or vinegar or soy sauce. Might as well start marinating him
because if it bites me, I'll eat the ****er right there.

Do you have a good recipe for dog ceviche?

Elisa Roselli
Ile de France

Old July 20th 03, 06:21 PM
Mike

Well I agree that it would have more affect to spray the ammonia in the Dog's Owner's eyes instead,
but because the riders life could have been in danger, there wasn't a whole lot of choice in the
matter.

There are some bad Dogs in the world but there's a hell of a lot more bad Owners...

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:22:52 -0500, Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:50:46 GMT, Michael from AT&T Worldnet
wrote:

In that case, the
a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled with ammonia that I carry came
in handy: one good, hard shot straight into that dog's eyes stopped it
cold.

You should be reported for cruelty to animals. What if you had blinded the dog
for life? A squirt bottle of water does the same thing just fine without the
cruelty.

Old July 20th 03, 11:27 PM
example.com

Every time a car
passes nears a bicycle, the rider's life _could_ be in danger. Should the
cyclist shoot the car's wheels out?

No, between the eyes
:^)

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:21:05 GMT, Mike from wrote:

Well I agree that it would have more affect to spray the ammonia in the

Dog's Owner's eyes instead,
but because the riders life could have been in danger, there wasn't a

whole lot of choice in the
matter.

Ah, the pre-emptive strike doctrine. Thank you President Bush! Every time

a car
passes nears a bicycle, the rider's life _could_ be in danger. Should the
cyclist shoot the car's wheels out?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
There's enough money here to buy 5000 cans of Noodle-Roni!

Old July 21st 03, 05:23 AM
Mike

Every time a car head straight at a person on a bike and starts hitting the biker then yes. Did you
miss the part where he said the dog was attacking his bike? COuld have made him fall and crack his
head open or who knows what...