Dogs

Old July 21st 03, 04:51 PM
Harpie

Default Dogs

There's always the commercial sprays that mail delivery people use to ward
off dogs. It sends an effective message without hurting the animal; I'd
rather see that than using ammonia. You don't want to hurt the dog, but just
spraying water isn't going to accomplish anything either.

I've used the anti-dog sprays before with very good results, i.e. the dog
stops chasing me.
Marianne

"Mike" wrote in message
news
Well I agree that it would have more affect to spray the ammonia in the

Dog's Owner's eyes instead,
but because the riders life could have been in danger, there wasn't a

whole lot of choice in the
matter.

There are some bad Dogs in the world but there's a hell of a lot more bad

Owners...

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:22:52 -0500, Kevan Smith

/\/\ wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:50:46 GMT, Michael from AT&T

Worldnet
wrote:

In that case, the
a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled with ammonia that I carry came
in handy: one good, hard shot straight into that dog's eyes stopped it
cold.

You should be reported for cruelty to animals. What if you had blinded

the dog
for life? A squirt bottle of water does the same thing just fine without

the
cruelty.

Old July 23rd 03, 05:46 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:21:16 -0500, wrote:
That's not true. I've seen over and over how just a squirt of plain water
at a
dog's muzzle sends it running away.

My gf's ankle biters aren't very bothered by a sharp squirt of water --
though it can sometimes get their attention while they're barking
endlessly, it never stops them from doing anything; they even resume
barking if you don't, for example, shoot them with a 12 gauge shotgun.

--
Rick Onanian
Old July 24th 03, 09:44 PM
chsb

wrote:

In that case, the
a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled with ammonia that I carry came
in handy: one good, hard shot straight into that dog's eyes stopped it
cold.

You should be reported for cruelty to animals. What if you had blinded

the dog
for life? A squirt bottle of water does the same thing just fine without

the
cruelty.

amonia cut with h2o is still kinda nasty. I think profesional trainers use

vinegar+water. Was watching a nature show t'other day that talked bout grizzly
bear spray. supposed to be good 15-20 ft, don't know where to buy or how $ .
wish I'd been more help....charles

Old July 27th 03, 03:52 AM
Mark Jones

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
You exaggerate the threat of dogs to cyclists.

It depends on the dog. When I was about 8 years old, I was
chased by a larger than normal German Shepard. I rode
as fast as I could and was barely able to prevent it from
catching me. He didn't appear to be in a very good mood.

Old July 27th 03, 02:55 PM

Mark Jones wrote:
: "Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
: ...
: You exaggerate the threat of dogs to cyclists.
: It depends on the dog. When I was about 8 years old, I was
: chased by a larger than normal German Shepard. I rode
: as fast as I could and was barely able to prevent it from
: catching me. He didn't appear to be in a very good mood.

I was also eight when I was chased by a hungry german shepard.
I rode as fast as I could but he still took a chunk you of my left cheek.
I still have the scar to this day, 42 years later.

Some dogs are just plain mean and nasty.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse'
--------------------------------

Old August 19th 03, 01:45 AM
Doug Purdy

"MisNomer" wrote in message
news
An interesting thing happenned yesterday on my ride. We spotted someone

playing
with their 2 dogs in the water, rode past them discussing how cute those 2
mongrels were. Then, not 2 seconds later one of the dogs ran up beside me,

slowed down, he / she passed me and then cut me off! The dog then ran

back to
its master looking rath proud of himself ... (there I beat you!)

Dogs are almost as unpredictable as pedestrians!

I get the same kind of treatment from bunnies when I do a 50 mile inner Tour
de Toronto multiuse paths as a midnight ride. During the day they just run
away off the path, but from 3-5:00am these guys will relay race me. First
one will jump out of the bushes onto the path and race me for 10-15 meters,
a short while later another will take over, then another...

Doug

Old August 19th 03, 01:50 PM
bgaudet0801

"Doug Purdy" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I get the same kind of treatment from bunnies when I do a 50 mile inner

Tour
de Toronto multiuse paths as a midnight ride. During the day they just run
away off the path, but from 3-5:00am these guys will relay race me. First
one will jump out of the bushes onto the path and race me for 10-15

meters,
a short while later another will take over, then another...

Same thing happened to me on Sunday though it was evening. I'd estimate
they were not quite adults. Mebbe a little from early spring?
I recall once I was riding pre-dawn and spotted on in the middle of a
lawn. Watching him I didn't notice the little bugger right next to the
street until he took off like a bat out of hell across the street..
I was startled but didn't crash or anything. I can imagine trying to
explain it if I had: 'The widdle bunny wabbit scared me!!'

Old August 25th 03, 04:13 PM
Michael

MisNomer wrote:

An interesting thing happenned yesterday on my ride. We spotted someone playing
with their 2 dogs in the water, rode past them discussing how cute those 2
mongrels were. Then, not 2 seconds later one of the dogs ran up beside me, I
slowed down, he / she passed me and then cut me off! The dog then ran back to
its master looking rath proud of himself ... (there I beat you!)

take care
Liz

I truly love dogs - especialy golden retrievers - except when I am on a
bicycle. Even the smallest canine might as well be a load of
cinderblocks when it - or even part of it - gets into the works of a
bicycle. And there are also the dogs that will greet you nicley when
you're on foot but wax nasty when you're on a bicycle (there are two of
these in my neighborhood). All in all though, I have had no dog/bicycle
problem since I began carrying a squeeze bottle of ammonia.

Until last weekend. I was doing my morning ride on a nice, new, wide,
walk/jog/bike path - my cycling safe haven, only 1/2 mile from home -
when I approached a "soccer mom" and her leashed poodle from the rear.
Dog was evenly trotting along, to the lady's right. I moved to the far
left of the traffic-lane-wide "path" to give lady and dog wide berth,
and as I drew to within about 10 meters of even with lady/dog, the dog
suddenly bolted around the lady and straight to the left ... across my
path. So there I was, humping along at 18 MPH and thinking all was well
with the world, when a bright red nylon tape (leash) appeared before me,
stretched tight, a dog on one end and 110-pound woman on the other. Dog
wanted a rabbit; woman wanted her dog. I crossed the "finish line",
despite standing on the brake and dropping crotch to carrier rack, and
immediately became intimately acquainted with dog and mistress.

I slid through the grass on my face, messing up a perfectly good (though
smelly) t-shirt, but the lady got some good road burn. Dog looked like
he didn't feel well.
Old August 25th 03, 05:00 PM
Jeff

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

The only bike path near me is in a major park. The posted speed limit (!)
is 10KM (6MPH). I leave it to the people with dogs and kiddies and ride on
the roads in the park. There are plenty of times when traffic is light
enough that it's safer than the bike paths.

I love dogs and tolerate kids, but they're all too unpredictable to happily
cycle near them.