Patent updates

Old November 13th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Patent updates

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 08:03:49 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:00:21 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 05:51:05 +0700, John B. wrote:

A bit off topic bit but does anybody know where the term "Reverse
Polish Notation" originated? One assumes that if there is a "reverse"
than there must be a "normal" also, although I never heard it used :-)

Yep, it is the reverse of polish notation.
Polish notation being operator, number, number, and RPN being number,
number, operator/operand,
or in the HP world where you load the stack
Enter Y, Enter X, Select Operator.
So, your actions effectivel follow RPN.

But where did the term come from? Do Polish people, for some reason,
count their small change that way?

I only vaguely remembered it was something to do with Mmathematics,

"I came upon the idea of a parenthesis-free notation in 1924. I used that
notation for the first time in my article Łukasiewicz(1), p. 610,
footnote."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_notation

Old November 13th 19, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/12/2019 8:26 PM, John B. wrote:

--
cheers,

The guy that invented it was polish. Jan someone. Did you lose your
google button?

I don't google everything :-) I had assumed that those using the term
might know the origins.

Here you a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

I knew the basics of that, but I probably would have misspelled
Łukasiewicz's name.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 13th 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/12/2019 6:50 PM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 12:03:40 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 11/12/2019 2:34 AM, wrote:

You're a wise man of excellent taste, Frank. We have the same slide
rule of the same age, Never needs batteries and no one ever 'borrows'
it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I still have a slide ruler somewhere for nostalgic reasons but I
(still) use fountain pens to write and I have a HP '2.5 ENTER 3 x'
calculator (hp11c) for 35 years. These also never get 'borrowed'.

I wish I had my 11C. It disappeared, along with my briefcase, when I was
doing some work at a local company. We suspected the temporary employee
of a cleaning company.

Sad thing is, the guy would never get any use out of it. He wouldn't
figure out the RPN.

The company bought me an HP 32SII as a replacement, but I don't like it
as well as the 11C. It matters little, I suppose. I mostly use an HP-48
these days.

25c, 18c and now 48G which resides in the top desktop draw and the others
in the garage.

The Wiki article on RPN reminds me that my first calculator used RPN,
but was not an HP. It was a Sinclair (IIRC), a very rare bird, at least
in the U.S.

It got the job done for years, but eventually developed a stuttering
keypad. Pressing 8 might yield 888. For a while I affected temporary
cures by disassembling it, cleaning key contacts and smearing them with
petroleum jelly to slow corrosion. When I tired of that I bought the HP
11C. Wherever it ended up after being stolen, it probably still works
perfectly.

Incidentally, this may be of interest to fans of old HPs:
https://www.swissmicros.com/index.php

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 13th 19, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

A bit off topic bit but does anybody know where the term "Reverse
Polish Notation" originated? One assumes that if there is a "reverse"
than there must be a "normal" also, although I never heard it used :-)

The original Polish notation was invented about 100 years ago by
Polish mathematician Jan Lucasiewicz and later converted into RPN so
as to be useful for calculators and computahs that used a stack type
machine architecture. One might suspect that the nationality of the
inventor might have has something to do with the name. Otherwise, it
might have been named "Lucasiewicz Notation":
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ReversePolishNotation.html
I collect HP calculators, almost all of which use RPN. Having used
RPN since college, I'm addicted to RPN and find calculators with
algebraic notation and the equal sign rather clumsy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 13th 19, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 11/12/2019 2:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

Besides RPN, the design of the keys (pad) of the (old?) HP calculators is another excellent feature. They are extremely robust and durable and have a nice tactile feedback. I hate those wobbly keys of most of the other calculators.

Lou
Old November 13th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

A bit off topic bit but does anybody know where the term "Reverse
Polish Notation" originated? One assumes that if there is a "reverse"
than there must be a "normal" also, although I never heard it used :-)

The original Polish notation was invented about 100 years ago by
Polish mathematician Jan Lucasiewicz and later converted into RPN so
as to be useful for calculators and computahs that used a stack type
machine architecture. One might suspect that the nationality of the
inventor might have has something to do with the name. Otherwise, it
might have been named "Lucasiewicz Notation":
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ReversePolishNotation.html
I collect HP calculators, almost all of which use RPN. Having used
RPN since college, I'm addicted to RPN and find calculators with
algebraic notation and the equal sign rather clumsy.

+1

--
- Frank Krygowski

Patent News AMuzi Techniques 3 October 31st 19 07:23 PM
Patent number: 528145 [email protected] Techniques 10 January 25th 08 06:25 AM
A WORD FROM THE PATENT OFFICE datakoll Techniques 0 December 25th 07 02:55 AM
Rolf patent misleading Mike Reed Techniques 2 June 2nd 06 07:22 AM
10 collars patent [email protected] General 0 May 20th 05 09:17 AM