dawes discovery

Old September 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coach

Default dawes discovery

looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that
matter
cheers
Nick

Old September 26th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

"Coach" writes:

looking to spend around 200 to 300 what do you recommend - just
canal and town - or any other make for that matter

A mate of mine has a Dawes Discovery 501 and he loves it. I've yet to
hear anyone with a bad word to say about them.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old September 26th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Coach" wrote in message
looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that
matter
cheers
Nick

You should be able to get a Discovery 501 for about £300 from a good lbs --
one of last years models. They will be wanting to clear room for their
Christmas stocks coming in.

I had a very happy 12000 miles on my 501 till it was stolen last year. It
cost me about £300 if I remember correctly in 2003
I am now running a modified 601 since January this year and have covered
3.5k miles this year so far.

I was expecting to take delivery of an ICE QNT today but I fell out with
their lack of delivery information and slapdash, disinterested, attitude
last night. Result after waiting some 2 months was that after some 4 hours
of increasingly acrimonious mails yesterday afternoon was that they have
refunded my £2100 plus and cancelled the order. I am not unhappy about that
at all.

My Dawes 601 is in good shape with some minor mods to suit me. ( Butterfly
bars and an 11-34 cassette)

I am now researching as to whether I can do a retrofit of a Rohloff 14 speed
hub on this bike which will be a lot cheaper and more satisfying than the
trike. It also saves me a lot of storage space which I have little of. ( it
also save a lot of £'s too)

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old September 26th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Coach wrote:
looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that
matter

For canal you need mudguards - not sure if Discoveries come with them
as standard. Personally I'd go for a 24-speed rather than one of the
more expensive models with more speeds but a thinner chain. You could
also consider the Sonoran, which definitely does come with mudguards
(and a rack).

Colin McKenzie

--
On average in Britain, you're more likely to get a head injury walking
a mile than cycling it.

Old September 27th 06, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message
Coach wrote:
looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that
matter

For canal you need mudguards - not sure if Discoveries come with them as
standard. Personally I'd go for a 24-speed rather than one of the more
expensive models with more speeds but a thinner chain. You could also
consider the Sonoran, which definitely does come with mudguards (and a
rack).

Colin McKenzie

I agree --- bike need mudguards and Discovery don't have them -- but have
the requisite braze on/holes to fit them. This is just a bike manufacturers
scam -- most bikes need mudguard of some type.. All my bikes have been
fitted or retro fitted with then to my pleasure.

Old September 27th 06, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Coach
') wrote:

looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that
matter

Claud Butler Classic - £200 including mudguards and rack, and remarkably
good kit for the price.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

Old September 27th 06, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

Also if you have a Decathalon near you it's worth a look. For 275 quid you
can get a Triban 5 with a 7 speed hub gear, disk, and 'guards.

SW

Old September 27th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Coach wrote:
looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that

A disco will be fine around town, though a canoe is probably a better
bet for a canal...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 27th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Pinky wrote in . uk:

Rohloff 14 [...] saves a lot of £'s too)

Old September 27th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"Coach" wrote in message
looking to spend around 200 to 300
what do you recommend - just canal and town - or any other make for that
matter
cheers
Nick

I was after something for the same purpose and ended up with a Ridgeback
Speed see here
http://www.airevalleycycles.com/prod...d=m1b0s18p1292 as you can
see it comes with mud guards and a rack and is within your budget.

I did also look at the Dawes 201 and 301 and a few others but the Ridgeback
felt best for me when I sat on it.

DaveB

Dawes Discovery or? Ib UK 3 August 6th 05 03:00 PM
Rear mech replacement or Dawes Discovery 201 james UK 7 July 31st 05 09:01 AM
It's official - Discovery takes over USPS Sponsorship Brian P Racing 5 June 17th 04 01:38 AM
Which replacement chain to buy? - Dawes Discovery 201 james UK 6 December 29th 03 03:30 PM
Frame size - Dawes Discovery 201 james UK 2 December 11th 03 02:52 PM