Wheel truing

Old September 20th 03, 09:40 AM
Pete Biggs

Default Wheel truing

Jon Schneider wrote:
I've seen it mentioned here now and again and have often thought about
getting into wheel truing (rather than building)

Well worth learning. As well as saving time and money at the bike shop,
having the skill can make the difference between having to abandon the bike
after buckling a wheel or being able to fix it up enough to ride home.

and intend to do a
course one of these days. I also have a key bought from my local
TV/video/bicycle shop (when I lived in a village) but have never much
more than looked at it.

It helps to have a good one (one that grips the nipple well to prevent
rounding off) rather than the usual cheap ones. Fortnately there is one
that is both good and cheap: called the Spokey. Now available from
www.wiggle.co.uk (under tools - Buddy...) if your local bike shop doesn't
have any.

Realistically as the wheel is a few years old am I likely to find that
they're seized anyway ?

Possible but not all that likely. It may help to use some penatrating oil
if you suspect they are very tight.

Do I need to hold onto the spoke with say some
mole grips to stop it twisting ?

No. The nipple will round or disintegrate first before the spoke twists if
it's seized.

Never a good idea to grip spoke with anything anyway as it could get nicked
which would lead to increased risk of failure.

~PB

Old September 20th 03, 10:56 AM
Jon Schneider

In article ,
pbiggmelons2000{remove (Pete Biggs) wrote:

having the skill can make the difference between having to abandon
the bike
after buckling a wheel or being able to fix it up enough to ride home.

I was thinking more of not having to have the brakes adjusted so you can
drive a truck through the gap.

Seems that mine do adjust and are not seized.

Jon

Old September 20th 03, 11:30 AM
Peter B

"Jon Schneider" . wrote in message

Re spoke nipples:
Seems that mine do adjust and are not seized.

If they are seized it may be easier to cut them and replace with new ones.
Of course if a lot are seized this may not be economical if the rim and hub
are poor quality or nearing the end of their life, a full set of good spokes
costs circa £12.00
If you find seized spokes remedy the situation in the comfort of your
shed/garage/house rather than by the side of the road/middle of nowhere in a
downpour :-)

Pete

Old September 20th 03, 03:44 PM
Pete Biggs

Jon Schneider wrote:

having the skill can make the difference between having to abandon
the bike
after buckling a wheel or being able to fix it up enough to ride
home.

I was thinking more of not having to have the brakes adjusted so you
can drive a truck through the gap.

A very good reason! :-) ....Although bike shop could do that for you - but
of course better to save the hassle and money by DIYing.

~PB