"Fuentes disputes positive" or How the USCF promotes doping...

Old August 6th 04, 02:38 PM
burt hoovis

Default "Fuentes disputes positive" or How the USCF promotes doping...

Donald Munro wrote in message . ..

Unlike Andy I'm no expert on the subject, but I wonder if increasing the
number of tests would also decrease the cost per test ie a kind of mass
production effect ?

Well I'm sure that if you wrote up a request for quote for a
laboratory to do a whole bunch of drug tests as apposed to a few,
you'd get a much better price per test.
Old August 6th 04, 05:34 PM
K. J. Papai

Donald Munro wrote in message . ..
Andy Coggan wrote:
So $4.4 million to conduct 6890 tests - that's about $650 per test,
which is
pretty steep in the medical realm but may not be unreasonable
considering
all the ancillary costs.

Bill Laudien wrote:
well US PRO charges US domestic teams almost $10,000 for UCI

registration and provides virtually no service for that fee. It would
be nice to see some of that money allocated for testing. Beyond that,
I'd be willing to pay an additional $1000-$2000 to that team fee if I
could be assured that the money would go directly to the testing of
cyclists in and out of competition. With a dozen teams or so, that
would be 20-40 additional cycling tests.

Unlike Andy I'm no expert on the subject, but I wonder if increasing the
number of tests would also decrease the cost per test ie a kind of mass
production effect ?

Wow -- the first thing you are not an expert on.
How humbling it must feel.
-Ken (it's "i.e.,")
Old August 6th 04, 05:46 PM
Edwin Meese

Hey Mr Fuentes,
I hear Adham Sbieh is looking for a training partner.
He has time on his hands.
Maybe you can pick up Gerlach too!

Donald Munro wrote in message
. ..

Old August 6th 04, 06:37 PM
Kyle Legate

scott wrote:

FWIW, Fuentes has been crushing fields in NorCal for years. Just
sayin'.

Was his performance at Superweek consistent with your expectations of him,
or did he exceed your expectations?

Old August 6th 04, 10:26 PM
Edwin Meese

Hey Mr Fuentes,
I believe when your B sample comes back positive, Adham Sbieh has
plenty of time to go out training with you! You guys could even take
Gerlach along too!

The Czar

Old August 6th 04, 11:04 PM
Stewart Fleming

Amit wrote:

they should combine the samples from each rider with their teamates
and just test those. if a team fails they're DQ'd.

"Hey! Which one of you pussies forgot to drink the antidote?"

Old August 6th 04, 11:31 PM
Benjamin Weiner

"Andy Coggan" wrote:
"Stewart Fleming" wrote:

Forgot to mention, the only revelation in Swart's TV interview that was
news to me was that THG was specifically designed to disintegrate during
the testing process. Anyone got confirmation on that? (I hadn't heard
that claimed before, is all)

I hadn't heard that, but it is theoretically possible, at least if the
steriod testing is done using electron impact gas chromatography mass
spectrometry (the most common method for identifying drugs and/or their
metabolites in biological fluids). If so, you'd build into the molecule some
particularly weak structure/bonds, most likely away from the active part of
the compound. That would result in greater fragmentation in the EI source,
yielding ions of lower mass than those being scanned for.

Some articles did mention that THG was designed (or maybe its
"designers"
got lucky and realized what they had) to be destroyed when the sample
is vaporized for gas chromatography. I guess that is why BALCO called
it "the clear."

Here's some articles:

http://www.separationsnow.com/baseht...-0-786,00.html

Brief interview with Don Catlin:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...7099_mz018.htm

Moderately technical article from Chem & Eng News:
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/8146/8146sci2.html

Actual Catlin et al article on THG detection from Rapid Comm Mass
Spec:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/c...64110/ABSTRACT
Old August 7th 04, 02:48 AM
hold my beer and watch this...

"Richard Adams" wrote in message

How many laboratories in the US do you suppose are capable of doing
these tests, particularly en masse.

I don't know, but if there was a demand and the opportunity to make money
satisfying that demand, I'm sure that labs would seek whatever
qualifications were necessary to carry out the tests.