TdF: Final stage etiquette

Old July 25th 05, 04:54 PM
Cwazee Yeti

Default TdF: Final stage etiquette

I know that the final stage of the TdF is mostly ceremonial, but I have
2 questions (one specific and one in general):

1) When Gilbert (FD Jeux) attacked the peloton why did Lance and the
rest of the Disco Boys feel the need to respond? They could have just
let him go... Was it to reel him in for his poor etiquette in attacking
the peloton--especially on such a dangerous and slippery day? When
Basso caught up with Gilbert he lambasted him!

2) Hypothetically, what would happen if there was only, say, 10 seconds
separating 1st and 2nd place in the GC. Would it be poor etiquette to
attack and try to win it on the final day?

Old July 25th 05, 05:24 PM
Jan

Cwazee Yeti wrote:
I know that the final stage of the TdF is mostly ceremonial, but I
have 2 questions (one specific and one in general):

1) When Gilbert (FD Jeux) attacked the peloton why did Lance and the
rest of the Disco Boys feel the need to respond? They could have just
let him go... Was it to reel him in for his poor etiquette in
attacking the peloton--especially on such a dangerous and slippery
day? When Basso caught up with Gilbert he lambasted him!

Was this after the Discovery riders crashed ? Basso had words with a FDJ
rider. If this was the incident, it wasn't because FDJ attacked the
Peleton.but was because the Yellow Jersey was held up by the accident.

2) Hypothetically, what would happen if there was only, say, 10
seconds separating 1st and 2nd place in the GC. Would it be poor
etiquette to attack and try to win it on the final day?,

No it wouldn't be bad etiquette. Personally I'd rather see a TT on the last
day, its much more exciting.

Jan

Old July 25th 05, 05:37 PM
Missylini

2) Hypothetically, what would happen if there was only, say, 10 seconds

separating 1st and 2nd place in the GC. Would it be poor etiquette to
attack and try to win it on the final day?

Absolutely not. The conventional etiquette exists because usually,
there is sufficient GC time between the leaders to all but prohibit any
chance of a challenger upsetting the overall. BUT, in the presence of
small time gaps, it's still a race.

You can bet Lemond pulled out all stops to win the 89 tour by 8 second
(in a TT).

In a RR, it's hard to get away on the Champs, especially with the
leader's team protecting him.

That's why it usually is a rolling celebration with show put on by the
sprinters. Usually (right Vino?)...

Old July 25th 05, 05:52 PM
Raptor

Jan wrote:
Was this after the Discovery riders crashed ? Basso had words with a FDJ
rider. If this was the incident, it wasn't because FDJ attacked the
Peleton.but was because the Yellow Jersey was held up by the accident.

I think Basso was telling McGee that it was not appropriate to beat
LANCE onto the Champs, and to let LANCE have his last parade.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

Old July 25th 05, 07:22 PM
Thomas Lund

I think it's two different incidents.
Basso went up to stop the escapee as there were a major crash involving
Discovery (and almost Armstrong)

Armstrong himself - as told on Danish TV - politely asked if it was okay, if
he and his team could lead the peleton into Paris city.

Thomas Lund

Old July 25th 05, 08:19 PM
Cwazee Yeti

The incident I was referring to was the attack by Gilbert(FD Jeux) that
cause the Disco Boys to crash (and almost taking out Lance). Minutes
seconds later, when Basso catches up to Gilbert, he (Basso) seemed to
be talling off Gilbert for the unwarranted attack.

I'm just wondering why LA and the Disco Boys felt it necessary to
respond to Gilbert's attack. A response that lead to the crash.

Old July 25th 05, 08:39 PM
Jan

Cwazee Yeti wrote:
The incident I was referring to was the attack by Gilbert(FD Jeux)
that cause the Disco Boys to crash (and almost taking out Lance).
Minutes seconds later, when Basso catches up to Gilbert, he (Basso)
seemed to be talling off Gilbert for the unwarranted attack.

I'm just wondering why LA and the Disco Boys felt it necessary to
respond to Gilbert's attack. A response that lead to the crash.

Basso Should have been telling FDJ to wait because Discovery crashed. Not
because the rider attacked.

Jan

Old July 25th 05, 09:13 PM
Cwazee Yeti

It's speculation but Basso looked way too animated to simply have been
telling the FDJ rider to wait since the FDJ rider looked over his right
shoulder and saw the crash.

Quoting Phil Liggett from the summary footage of the stage:

"And then there's an attack--unwarranted. Armstrong chases. The roads
are slippery shows Disco Boys crash and this is the reason he didn't
want the attack. Lance Armstrong, himself, just avoids the fall and
goes around the debris. Up ahead, the miscreant is reprimanded by none
other than Ivan Basso."

Old July 26th 05, 04:37 AM
Jon Meyers

Missylini wrote:
Cwazee Yeti wrote:

2) Hypothetically, what would happen if there was only, say, 10 seconds
separating 1st and 2nd place in the GC. Would it be poor etiquette to
attack and try to win it on the final day?

You can bet Lemond pulled out all stops to win the 89 tour by 8 second
(in a TT).

OLN did a short piece on the fact that there hasn't been a final-stage
ITT since Fignon lost his 50-second edge on Lemond in '89, and the
French took it...well, badly.

--Jon Meyers
Old July 26th 05, 05:09 AM
Patricio Carlos

As above, it was Gilbert, not McGee (although the two are quite similar
looking on a bike).