Melbourne Council wants to startup 'free bike' schemeikes

Old March 1st 04, 11:10 PM
flyingdutch

Default Melbourne Council wants to startup 'free bike' schemeikes

Page 3, today's 'other' paper (Hun

Councillor So wants to adopt the same scheme use in Copenhagen wher
you use swipe cards or coins to get access to supplied bikes for shor
trip usag

Pic of the little guy riding up Swanston Walk (where was Livinia?) an
of the Danish bikes

jj

-

Old March 1st 04, 11:30 PM
Hitchy

flyingdutch wrote:
Page 3, today's 'other' paper (Hun)
Councillor So wants to adopt the same scheme use in Copenhagen where
you use swipe cards or coins to get access to supplied bikes for short
trip usage
Pic of the little guy riding up Swanston Walk (where was Livinia?) and
of the Danish bikes.
jjj

G'day

Bewdy...I could do with another bike........Wouldn't the money they wil
spend on replacing these things after they get pinched, be better of
spent on English lessons for councillor So?

cheers

Hitch

-

Old March 1st 04, 11:50 PM
flyingdutch

Hitchy wrote:
G'day,
Bewdy...I could do with another bike........Wouldn't the money they will
spend on replacing these things after they get pinched, be better off
spent on English lessons for councillor So?,
cheers,
Hitchy

Tad harsh Hitchy. He's probably done more for melburnians than everyone
on this forum put together! Still, Livinia in lycra. Now there's an Ad
campaign...

Old March 2nd 04, 12:30 AM
Hitchy

flyingdutch wrote:
Tad harsh Hitchy. He's probably done more for melburnians than everyone
on this forum put together! Still, Livinia in lycra. Now there's an Ad
campaign...

G'day,

I'm not having a go at what he might/might not have done for melb....I
just can't understand him!...He was on 3AW this morning talking about
this idea.....I don't think anyone was the wiser after listening?

Livinia in Lycra.....yeah Ok....but she could do with a visit from the
'tit fairy',

cheers,

Hitchy

Old March 2nd 04, 01:30 AM
cfsmtb

Hitchy wrote:
Livinia in Lycra.....yeah Ok....but she could do with a visit from the
'tit fairy', cheers, Hitchy

Hey Twitchy, it's painfully obvious to all that chivalry is not a stron
personality trait of yours

".....In giving and receiving love's solaces let modesty be eve
present. ....Thou shalt be in all things polite and courteous....

ie: stop thinking with the *little head

Back to free bikes, um, good concept, but human nature being what it is
not entirely convinced of how Melbourne Council is going to manag
logistics of the proposed scheme

Fit the bikes with GPS linked to remote controlled bottom bracke
immobilisers

Make them so bog ugly that no one would want to nick one from th
CBD area? :

-

Old March 2nd 04, 01:50 AM
flyingdutch

wrote:
Back to free bikes, um, good concept, but human nature being what it is,
not entirely convinced of how Melbourne Council is going to manage
logistics of the proposed scheme.
Fit the bikes with GPS linked to remote controlled bottom bracket
immobilisers?
Make them so bog ugly that no one would want to nick one from the
CBD area?

I agree. 99% of people living or visiting the CBD already own bikes s
would only affect tourists who love the trams more anyway..

The copenhagen ones are fitted with GP

Their examples are so distinctive it would be hard to get away wit
nicking them I do think the City council could probably spend the mone
better by bettering existing cicling facilities. IE proper ways for yo
to enter the CBD (far too many directions have no safe entry path). mor
bike lanes, parking facilities and (dream-of-dream) an extra carriage o
all trains to carry bikes!

Folding bike sales have apparently jumped 20+% since the congestion tol
was introduced in London. Cycling has increased by 30%!!

-

Old March 2nd 04, 01:50 AM
Hitchy

cfsmtb wrote:
Hey Twitchy, it's painfully obvious to all that chivalry is not a strong
personality trait of yours.
".....In giving and receiving love's solaces let modesty be ever
present. ....Thou shalt be in all things polite and courteous...."
ie: stop thinking with the *little head*
Back to free bikes, um, good concept, but human nature being what it is,
not entirely convinced of how Melbourne Council is going to manage
logistics of the proposed scheme.
Fit the bikes with GPS linked to remote controlled bottom bracket
immobilisers?
Make them so bog ugly that no one would want to nick one from the
CBD area?

Oi

don't have a go at me!...I just responded to Flyingdutch's post & hi
choice of 'lycra wench'!..........I felt abit like Rex Hunt when I wrot
that, you know....'cast out a line, then reel 'em in'. Thanks for bein
predictable, the world needs more P.C nazi's

cheers

Hitch

Hitch

-

Old March 2nd 04, 01:50 AM
cfsmtb

flyingdutch wrote:
Folding bike sales have apparently jumped 20+% since the congestion toll
was introduced in London. Cycling has increased by 30%!!!

Folding bikes rock. I was checking one out in Lorimer St early Friday
evening. *ahem*

Got an idea with the BMX.....long head stem, long seat post, 170mm
cranks, hub gears, angle grinder, spare hinge hasps.

Seriously though, if you're interested in bike routes in the Melbourne
CBD, check this out: http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/index.cfm?Category-
ID=5&TopicID=7&InfoPageID=610&ContentFile=infopage .cfm

Old March 2nd 04, 03:10 AM
flyingdutch

Now, now gentlemen

not sure what youre getting at with the bmx stuff cfsmtb, and i realise
there are maps, the problem is more the incompleteness of the number of
paths about the CBD

the sooner they bring in that congestion charge the better!

Old March 2nd 04, 03:30 AM
cfsmtb

flyingdutch wrote:
Now, now gentlemen not sure what youre getting at with the bmx stuff
cfsmtb, and i realise there are maps, the problem is more the
incompleteness of the number of paths about the CBD the sooner they
bring in that congestion charge the better!

LOL, ever seen a folding bike? Just a silly jape about making a e
cheapo DIY one. Novel concept, but buying a birdy, moulton or bik
friday would be a far wiser option. :cool

-

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Social Issues 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long) [Not Responding] UK 18 May 17th 04 06:44 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
Bike facility funding, was: Cincy - $350M to fix I-75 The Danimal Social Issues 11 December 27th 03 02:55 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM