Bigger handlebar bag

Old June 24th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Bigger handlebar bag

On 6/24/2020 9:41 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 8:39:58 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 6/22/2020 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:10:47 PM UTC+2, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
(
https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.

'to design a new bigger handlebar bag'? What design? It is just a rectangular box. OK it is made bigger. That is not designing. Every 3D Cad program can do that with one mouse click. You don't need a whole winter for that.
Yes Frank I am making fun of handlebar bags.

Lou

Please tell me that no one is spending $358 on a handlebar bag.

Somebody must. My son was telling me about one of his dealers in Northern California that had a customer who spent almost $.5 million on bikes and stuff. This was probably over a period of ten or twenty years, and I'm not clear on how he racked up the expenditures, but he owns a ton of S-Works bikes. I'm sure he gets immediate attention when he comes into the store -- and blow and hookers. What a cash cow. He was probably the guy who bought one of these: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...eo-sl/p/170237 Probably not a utility cyclist.

There are some nice waterproof canvas saddlebags/handlebar bags from
South Korea:

7 liter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162545860629
11 liter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162545874998
16 liter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/391809078846
Old June 25th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 6/22/2020 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:10:47 PM UTC+2, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
(
[...]

South Korea? Those are copies of English Carradice bags.
Old June 25th 20, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 6/22/2020 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:10:47 PM UTC+2, Bertrand wrote:
Â* From Jan Heine
(
https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to
design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.

'to design a new bigger handlebar bag'? What design?Â* It is just a
[...]

that 16 liter is what, 4 Chihuahua!? Maybe 5 at a push.
Old August 1st 20, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/25/2020 5:10 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 25/06/2020 00:34, sms wrote:

snip

There are some nice waterproof canvas saddlebags/handlebar bags from
South Korea:

7 liter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162545860629
11 liter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162545874998
16 liter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/391809078846

that 16 liter is what, 4 Chihuahua!?Â* Maybe 5 at a push.

I did buy one of the 7 liter Zimbale bag
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162545860629. The eBay description is wrong,
it's not a "saddlebag" it can be uses as a seat bag or a handlebar bag.
Very nice, classic bag, the poor-man's Carradice bag.

I use it as a handlebar bag. If you don't have a front rack (as I
don't), you may need a support that goes over your stem and handlebars
to prevent the bag from contacting the front tire. I took a 3' length of
1/4" diameter aluminum round stock, bought at Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-36-in-Aluminum-Round-Rod-801647/204273994,
and built one, almost identical to this one
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576393416573/. I think that 3/16"
diameter would have been sufficient but Home Depot doesn't sell that
diameter, McMaster does https://www.mcmaster.com/8974K21.
Old August 1st 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:10:47 PM UTC-5, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
(https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.

Looking at their prices for handlebar bags, I would say are VERY proud of their stuff.

:-)

Andy
Old August 1st 20, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/1/2020 11:50 AM, sms wrote:

snip

I use it as a handlebar bag. If you don't have a front rack (as I
don't), you may need a support that goes over your stem and handlebars
to prevent the bag from contacting the front tire. I took a 3' length of
1/4" diameter aluminum round stock, bought at Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-36-in-Aluminum-Round-Rod-801647/204273994,
and built one, almost identical to this one
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576393416573/. I think that 3/16"
diameter would have been sufficient but Home Depot doesn't sell that
diameter, McMaster does https://www.mcmaster.com/8974K21.

Photo of bag mounted on bicycle and photo of underside support
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CmAgNz65FW7t6L3y7.
Old August 2nd 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 13:15:59 -0700, sms wrote:

snip

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...luminum-Round-

Rod-801647/204273994,
and built one, almost identical to this one
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/511721576393416573/. I think that 3/16"
diameter would have been sufficient but Home Depot doesn't sell that
diameter, McMaster does https://www.mcmaster.com/8974K21.

Photo of bag mounted on bicycle and photo of underside support
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CmAgNz65FW7t6L3y7.

The bad news is sadly, even when you make then from spring steel, they'll
sag over time. The good news is that you'll get to improve each one you
create as you bend it up.

Old August 2nd 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/1/2020 7:35 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 13:15:59 -0700, sms wrote:

On 8/1/2020 11:50 AM, sms wrote:

snip

[...]

Not necessarily. Back in about 1977 I designed and fabricated my own
handlebar bag. At the time, bike shops sold supports for TA style bags -
fairly complicated shapes that looped under the stem and over the
handlebars, and supported the bag partly from the bottom. Those were
1/4" chrome steel.

I used a simpler shape, one that the bag hung from, not sat on. I made
mine from 3/8" 2024 aluminum rod. I had access to a heat treating oven,
so I annealed the aluminum to make the support then heat treated it to
T4 afterwards.

I admit to being unsure that it would last, but it has lasted for over
40 years now. Occasionally I've re-bent parts of it - for example, to
raise the bag up a bit to clear a new headlight. But it's been fine.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 2nd 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/1/2020 4:35 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 13:15:59 -0700, sms wrote:

On 8/1/2020 11:50 AM, sms wrote:

snip

[...]

Whatever. For less than $5 and less than 5 minutes of work I won't worry
about what happens five years from now.

More on 25 or bigger... [email protected] General 10 August 1st 07 07:55 AM
25 or bigger? [email protected] General 30 July 31st 07 07:58 AM
Bigger and Better p1choco Unicycling 5 November 20th 06 07:55 PM
BIGGER BIKE FOR BIGGER DROPS Syd Mountain Biking 2 April 23rd 06 04:24 AM
Is Bigger Better? Cory Dunkle General 2 July 14th 03 02:58 AM