Which Campy Ergo/derailleurs go with Shimano 9s cassette--9s or 10s?

Old October 20th 03, 05:00 AM
Kovie

Default Which Campy Ergo/derailleurs go with Shimano 9s cassette--9s or 10s?

I'm building up a new triple-crank road bike and am thinking of combining
Campy Centaur Ergo shifters and rear/front derailleurs with a Shimano
Ultegra 9s cassette and chain, which I understand works pretty well. I'm
going with the Shimano c/c because I recently bought a new wheelset that's
Shimano-compatible (Mavic Cosmos), and it doesn't accept a Campy cassette.
I'm not sure, though, about some things:

1 - Will both the 10s and 9s Campy shifters/derailleurs work with this
setup, or do I need one or the other, and if so which one? Can one be easily
converted to work like the other without much fuss and cost, and if so which
one? It would be nice to go with the 10s so I could move up to an all-Campy
setup in the future and keep these components.

2 - I'm leaning towards getting a Centaur BB & crankset as well, because
they're slightly less expensive, are more esthetically pleasing to me, and
I'd like to make this as close to to an all-Campy setup as possible. Are
these components better than the comparable Ultegras? And do the same
limitations in terms of 9s vs, 10s apply, and if so which versions should I
get?

3 - I've heard that there are Shimano hub-compatible 10s cassettes. Who
makes these, do they work with Campy Ergo shifters & derailleurs, and if so
which ones (i.e. 9s or 10s)?

I suppose that the simplest solution would be to return the
Shimano-compatible wheelset and get a Campy-compatible one instead, which
would allow me to get an all-Campy setup. But I got a good deal on these
wheels and would rather not go through the process of returning them and
paying more for a new wheelset. (I know, I know, that's not much of a price
to pay for a bike I'll be riding for years, but I just want to know what all
my options are before deciding.)

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 20th 03, 06:05 AM
Kovie

Put another way, if I want to use Campy Ergo shifters with a
Shimano-compatible hub and 9s cassette:

1 - Can I use Campy 10s front/rear derailleurs and 10s Ergos, and if so are
there any adjustments needed and/or limitiations involved in terms of
performance, reliability or durability?

2 - Or do I have to stick with 9s for all three components, and if so are
there also any adjustments needed and/or limitiations involved in terms of
performance, reliability or durability?

3 - Or is it better to go with Shimano rear/front derailleurs and perform
the needed adjustment to make this work?

4 - Does it matter either way whether I go for Campy or Shimano BBs/cranks?
If it's all the same, I'd prefer to go Campy with these.

Thanks, and sorry about all the postings! I'm just trying to figure out the
complexities of mixing and matching Shimano and Campy components and making
sure I don't end up with a pile of incompatible parts that have to be
returned.

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 20th 03, 07:52 AM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:05:18 GMT, "Kovie"
wrote:

[...]

You only need the Ergos and a rear derailleurs. I've been running a
Campy/Shimano 9 speed mix like this on two bikes that have well over
10,000 miles each without any problems. I have needed no special
adjustment, other than normal attention to detail. I love the
convenience and lower cost of being able to use Shimano cassettes and
third party chains.

I see 2003 Veloce 9 speed available for only $160 and I believe that
they can be refitted for 10 speed for a minimal cost later if you
like. Peter Chisholm of Vecchio's Bicicletteria in Boulder, CO,
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com, is the resident expert on these
things here and can confirm the details.
Old October 20th 03, 08:00 AM
Kovie

Would this work with 10s Ergos & derailleurs too? This would allow me to
upgrade to a 10s all-Campy drivetrain in the future. And actually, a couple
of places are selling the Centaur Ergos for $130 now, among them Excel. Not
sure if this is the 9s or 10s though.

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 20th 03, 02:59 PM
Pete Biggs

Kovie wrote:
Put another way, if I want to use Campy Ergo shifters with a
Shimano-compatible hub and 9s cassette:

1 - Can I use Campy 10s front/rear derailleurs and 10s Ergos, and if
so are there any adjustments needed and/or limitiations involved in
terms of performance, reliability or durability?

Can't use 10sp Ergos with Shimano 9sp cassette (because sprocket spacing
is wrong) unless you modify the Ergos to 9sp (not worth it and no need) or
you do the following..........
http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

Note. 9sp Ergos can be converted to 10sp by changing an internal part of
two (not an easy job).

I'm not sure about 10sp front derailleur with 9sp chain.

4 - Does it matter either way whether I go for Campy or Shimano
BBs/cranks? If it's all the same, I'd prefer to go Campy with these.

Ergos will work with ANY crankset and front derailleur. Campag cranks
require Campag BB.

~PB

Old October 20th 03, 07:23 PM
Appkiller

snip
Can't use 10sp Ergos with Shimano 9sp cassette (because sprocket spacing
is wrong) unless you modify the Ergos to 9sp (not worth it and no need) or
you do the following..........
http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

snip

Untrue, at least according to Peter Chisholm. He posted earlier this
year about running 10v Campy with 9v Shimano-compatible wheels.
Claimed he had a guy do a road race with that setup and it worked very
well.

I haven't tried it but he would have no reason to lie.

Google this thread "For info-Campagnolo 10s shifters-9s cogset" by Qui
Si Parla Campagnolo (Peter Chisholm) for more info.

App
Old October 21st 03, 01:16 AM
Pete Biggs

Appkiller wrote:
snip
Can't use 10sp Ergos with Shimano 9sp cassette (because sprocket
spacing is wrong) unless you modify the Ergos to 9sp (not worth it
and no need) or you do the following..........
http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

snip

Untrue, at least according to Peter Chisholm. He posted earlier this
year about running 10v Campy with 9v Shimano-compatible wheels.
Claimed he had a guy do a road race with that setup and it worked very
well.

Would you want to use that? That's 4.12mm indexing with 4.12 spacing.

I haven't tried it but he would have no reason to lie.

"Worked very well" is subjective.

~PB

Old October 21st 03, 04:23 AM
BikerTriker

I have converted two Ultegra equipped bikes to Campagnolo Ergo 10
speed shifters using the mentioned website. One was a triple and the
other a double. Both have several thousand miles on them and the
ultegra shifters became less precise

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

About the only variation that I did was to cut a vertical groove in
the Ultegra derailleurs with a triangle file to help better locate the
cable.

They shift at least as well as my other bike with Record Ten speed
everything.

One thing that is forgotten is that although derailleurs move a
certain amount with a specific cable pull, changing the cable routing
can be an overlooked factor changing leverage. I bet that many other
combinations would work fine.
dave

Old October 21st 03, 06:21 AM
Kovie

Would you want to use that? That's 4.12mm indexing with 4.12 spacing.

Perhaps I'm missing the irony here due to my inexperience with this, but
isn't having the indexing and spacing be identical, as above, a good thing?
Are you saying that a 10s Ergo & 10s rdr are NOT the way to go with a 9s
Shimano cassette?

--
Kovie
zen