Cyclist with no lights or reflectors killed

Old August 10th 13, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

Default Cyclist with no lights or reflectors killed

Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

Old August 10th 13, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
AC[_6_]

Judith wrote:
Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

Fair enough. What's the problem?

The driver was not proven to be eating 5 secs before he hit the cyclist.
At 30 MPH thats a decent gap and time to react. The cyclist had no
lights or reflectors.

Had the cyclist lived, I would have tried to find a way to sue him for
causing an avoidable accident and something to do with mental distress.
Dunno what, but I would have tried to go after him.

I live on the Olympic cycling route in surrey, and since the Olympics,
cyclists have been a damn dangerous plague.

For the record, I and my kids are cyclists.

--
AC
Old August 10th 13, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:

Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

Was the driver a carnivorous sandwich-eater or a herbivore?
Old August 10th 13, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Alexis

JNugent wrote:

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:

Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

Was the driver a carnivorous sandwich-eater or a herbivore?

Ah! I think I can see what you are going with this: If the driver was
in the habit of eating, say grated carrot sandwiches, they could have
seen better in the dark and the accident wouldn't have happened.

Old August 10th 13, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Partac[_10_]

"Alexis" wrote in message ...

JNugent wrote:

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:

Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

Was the driver a carnivorous sandwich-eater or a herbivore?

Ah! I think I can see what you are going with this: If the driver was
in the habit of eating, say grated carrot sandwiches, they could have
seen better in the dark and the accident wouldn't have happened.

Or better still, if the cyclist had lights or reflectors, the accident
wouldn't have happened either.
Sorry, but am I just stating the bleedin' obvious?

Old August 10th 13, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Martin Brown

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:
Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether or not it was dark at the time.
Do you have to celebrate every cyclist that gets killed?

For my money anyone eating, reading maps newspapers or texting whilst
driving is guilty of careless driving if they only hit street furniture
or barriers and dangerous driving if they kill or injure someone.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 10th 13, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 10/08/2013 14:38, Alexis wrote:

JNugent wrote:

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:

Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

Was the driver a carnivorous sandwich-eater or a herbivore?

Ah! I think I can see what you are going with this: If the driver was
in the habit of eating, say grated carrot sandwiches, they could have
seen better in the dark and the accident wouldn't have happened.

Possibly.

he'd also be better equipped to spot man-eating tigers in the jungle at
night.
Old August 10th 13, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:
Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether or not it was dark at the time.
Do you have to celebrate every cyclist that gets killed?

I took this to be a report on the trial, the cyclist died over a year ago.

Old August 10th 13, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:50:02 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:
Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether or not it was dark at the time.
Do you have to celebrate every cyclist that gets killed?

I'm sorry - what on earth do you mean "celebrate"? Which particular words have
I used which lead to that conclusion?

Old August 10th 13, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Alex Heney

wrote:

On 10/08/2013 11:25, Judith wrote:
Sandwich-eating driver cleared of dangerous driving death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23626666

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether or not it was dark at the time.
Do you have to celebrate every cyclist that gets killed?

For my money anyone eating, reading maps newspapers or texting whilst
driving is guilty of careless driving if they only hit street furniture
or barriers and dangerous driving if they kill or injure someone.

Whether it is careless driving (section 3 RTA) or dangerous driving
(section 2 RTA) has nothing to do with results.

If somebody gets killed that turns a section 2 offence into section
1, or a section 3 offence into section 2B. But it doesn't change
careless into dangerous.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Unsolicited advice answers unasked questions

Another OAP killed by a cyclist Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 9 December 19th 12 07:27 PM
Cyclist killed in hit and run Anton Berlin Racing 4 June 8th 09 07:03 PM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
Cyclist killed endroll Australia 0 September 24th 05 08:46 AM
Another cyclist killed Uphill DownHill UK 11 August 15th 03 04:19 PM