Bigger handlebar bag

Old June 22nd 20, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

Default Bigger handlebar bag

From Jan Heine
(https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.
Old June 22nd 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 11:10:47 AM UTC-7, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
(https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.

Fashion is a powerful thing.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 22nd 20, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bigger handlebar bag? Why? I know the description talked about big, huge bikes needing a bigger bag to fit proportionately. But a small, medium sized bag would work just fine too. I have a medium sized handlebar bag on my loaded touring bike. Cannondale, back (1980s) from when Cannondale was a big name in loaded touring with bikes and bags. It is the perfect size and WEIGHT for holding small stuff I need during the day. Money, maps, snacks.. I always keep it lightweight. When you start adding lots of weight to the handlebars, it does affect the steering. That is bad. Is Jan Heine trying to get all his customers to crash their bikes with big heavy handlebar bags? I would say YES. Why does Jan want to injure his customers?
Old June 22nd 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:10:47 PM UTC+2, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
(https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.

'to design a new bigger handlebar bag'? What design? It is just a rectangular box. OK it is made bigger. That is not designing. Every 3D Cad program can do that with one mouse click. You don't need a whole winter for that.
Yes Frank I am making fun of handlebar bags.

Lou
Old June 22nd 20, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 3:34:40 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
On 6/22/2020 12:48 PM, wrote:
Bigger handlebar bag? Why? I know the description talked about big, huge bikes needing a bigger bag to fit proportionately. But a small, medium sized bag would work just fine too. I have a medium sized handlebar bag on my loaded touring bike. Cannondale, back (1980s) from when Cannondale was a big name in loaded touring with bikes and bags. It is the perfect size and WEIGHT for holding small stuff I need during the day. Money, maps, snacks. I always keep it lightweight. When you start adding lots of weight to the handlebars, it does affect the steering. That is bad. Is Jan Heine trying to get all his customers to crash their bikes with big heavy handlebar bags? I would say YES. Why does Jan want to injure his customers?

Why? Well, what if you had THREE chihuahuas?

Mark J.

OK. Did that Paris Hilton girl have chihuahuas? I seem to recall seeing pictures of her with little dogs. But I could be imagining that. And of course on this forum I have read about the drunkards on this forum talking about buying and carrying beer on their rides. Maybe the bigger handlebar bag would allow them to carry a 24 pack of beer. Or a whole case of Jack Daniels. So I guess there is a true need for a bigger handlebar bag. But my point about the extra weight still applies. I think the bike handling would be affected severely if you were carrying a full case of beer. And at the end of the ride after you drank all 24 beers and the bar bag was lighter, I don't think bike handling would improve much.
Old June 22nd 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/22/2020 3:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 11:10:47 AM UTC-7, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
(https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...-huge-restock/

Over the winter, we’ve worked with Berthoud Cycles in France to design a new,
bigger handlebar bag, the GB 31.

Fashion is a powerful thing.

So is capacity!

Today I rode my touring bike to a pharmacy a few miles away, the one
with the best selection of birthday cards. I needed a good one for a
special friend. Yes, I still mail birthday cards! Paper ones!

As I walked in to the store, I thought "Oh, maybe they'll have paper
towels!" See, we haven't found any for weeks. (Maybe they converted all
the paper towel production lines to toilet paper?)

Well, this store had the perfect card AND paper towels! But wait - the
bike isn't the 3 speed with the front basket. It isn't the utility bike
with the grocery panniers. And the pack of paper towels dwarfs both my
handlebar bag and my Carradice saddlebag!

I found only one thin tiny 8" bungee in my bike bag. I was just able to
loop it through the handles of the plastic shopping bag they gave me,
then stretch it from one saddle wire to the other. Luckily, it held
together for the trip home.

Hmm. Maybe I need a bigger saddlebag...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 22nd 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/22/2020 3:48 PM, wrote:
Bigger handlebar bag? Why? I know the description talked about big, huge bikes needing a bigger bag to fit proportionately. But a small, medium sized bag would work just fine too. I have a medium sized handlebar bag on my loaded touring bike. Cannondale, back (1980s) from when Cannondale was a big name in loaded touring with bikes and bags. It is the perfect size and WEIGHT for holding small stuff I need during the day. Money, maps, snacks. I always keep it lightweight. When you start adding lots of weight to the handlebars, it does affect the steering. That is bad. Is Jan Heine trying to get all his customers to crash their bikes with big heavy handlebar bags? I would say YES. Why does Jan want to injure his customers?

I have one friend who asked stability or handling questions about my
handlebar bags, but I've never noticed the slightest problem.

It could be my personal history. I spent years as a teen delivering a
large paper route by bike. I rode miles daily up driveways, hurrying
around parked cars and other obstacles with at least four cubic feet of
newspapers in a huge front basket, so I'm comfortable with a front load.
In fact, on some solo tours, I've used no rear panniers, just a big
handlebar bag and two front panniers.

Related: We've had our Bikes Friday in Europe for three trips. For the
longest one we used their trailer scheme, but trailers are a hassle for
train travel as well as other times. For the next two trips I used a
Rick Steves backpack sitting vertically on a low rear rack. (The Friday
has 20" wheels.)

In my view, this was better than the trailer, but the load decreased the
nimbleness of the bike, partly because of the low weight on the front
tire. Also, the Friday has no top tube, and the absence of that tube
between my thighs plus the tall load made it too easy for the bike to
topple while I was standing over it while stopped.

I've given some thought to using the Rick Steves backpack mounted on a
low front rack instead. I think I'd have better control in most situations.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 23rd 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 2:30:22 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/22/2020 3:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 11:10:47 AM UTC-7, Bertrand wrote:
From Jan Heine
[...]

I'd need a 24 Chihuahua handlebar bag for my usual paper-towel purchase. https://tinyurl.com/y8ugt3fr Same goes with toilet paper and napkins.

-- Jay Beattie
Old June 23rd 20, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/22/2020 4:30 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/22/2020 3:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 11:10:47 AM UTC-7, Bertrand
wrote:
From Jan Heine
[...]

Slip the plastic shopping bag handles over a wrist and just
ride. I only sent cargo into spokes once in many years of
doing that regularly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

More on 25 or bigger... [email protected] General 10 August 1st 07 07:55 AM
25 or bigger? [email protected] General 30 July 31st 07 07:58 AM
Bigger and Better p1choco Unicycling 5 November 20th 06 07:55 PM
BIGGER BIKE FOR BIGGER DROPS Syd Mountain Biking 2 April 23rd 06 04:24 AM
Is Bigger Better? Cory Dunkle General 2 July 14th 03 02:58 AM