Preposterous Di2 Problem

Old September 27th 20, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Preposterous Di2 Problem

On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 10:44:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zondag 27 september 2020 om 19:34:04 UTC+2 schreef :
On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 10:26:48 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/26/2020 4:44 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 5:53:58 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/25/2020 4:19 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 11:47:51 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/24/2020 1:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Di2 is a system that relies upon wires to transmit the commands about the system. So you would expect these wires to be available. Ordering them from Amazon, mind you, NO ONE keeps a stock of these wires which would be pretty cheap for a business to do. Presently I am in the second week of waiting for a wire and it is likely to be another week minimum to delivery. This is totally amateurish and Shimano should offer these directly themselves if their retailers cannot keep a stock on hand that can be delivered in the same amount of time that Amazon itself normally offers.

E-Tap.

Hamhanded klutzes with unexceptional mechanical skills can,
and do, set up E-Tap with no problems at all.

While the wireless seems a good idea, you only have to wire your bike once. I have a problem around places of radio interference but mostly I cannot STAND the way you use one hand to shift up and the other to shift down. And both to shift the front. Because of that there is a necessary delay going from the small to the large ring. Pretty obviously you can get used to that. But I prefer Shimano with their "very fast, fast, normal, slow or very slow" settings. Plus you can get it to know what your gear ratios are and to shift synchronously. I'm pretty happy with the Di2. Also unlike the eTap, you don't have to replace coin cells in the levers all the time. After a week of heavy riding the Di2 battery charged for about 4 minutes.

Good point.
If you had trouble moving from normal Campagnolo shifters to
Di2 then the E-Tap format might drive you nuts.

But it is probably the fastest modern shift system setup and
really hard to screw up.

I assume that you mean the fastest to install and set up. You can't shift faster than Di2. If you hold the switch down it will cycle through the shifts as fast as the chain will move.

Yes you're right. All modern systems work well with about
equal shift response. For quick and simple installation
nothing beats E-Tap. No pesky cables!

Well, I can't disagree with that. Wireless sounds good but I have no experience with how long the coin cells in the levers last. Since they are used for RF I have a hard time believing that they much of a lifespan though. But who the hell knows? I expect that my car key/unlocker has a coin cell buried in it and the one I have works after 8 years,

I think you can compare the two of them. They only have to send a signal, nothing with power.

The only way you can do this is by not embedding any information in the signal beyond "left" "right" and "both". You can do this by using two different frequencies and do all of the intelligence in the levers which have large rechargeable batteries.

This eliminates a lot of the flexibility that Di2 can conceivably have. Though you're only shifting so I don't think that it makes much difference.

there's no problem here David Padgham Racing 47 March 29th 10 04:15 AM
Tri Bar Problem Sook MaCrunchie UK 5 February 27th 08 08:37 PM
What's the problem ? Racing 42 August 2nd 06 03:52 PM
BC Problem Robbie Unicycling 2 October 5th 05 12:52 PM
Big Problem? juggle508 Unicycling 7 July 18th 05 01:41 PM