More disk brake questions

Old September 29th 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default More disk brake questions

Ok I have googled search the disk brake stuff. I have more questions and I have no experience with them riding. I do believe I can service them with no issues.

When you buy a disk brake wheelset I assume you have to put rotors on it that either came with the set you are replacing or you buy them separate?

How much noise do they cause in braking compared to rim brakes? I guess I did not realize it is metal on metal at times or nearly that? Seems to me that might be noisy?

Seems there are 3 different options for pads and which ones are the best? I assume like anything else you make decisions based on circumstances?

You know the deacon likes a real silent ride for sure. Grinding metal would kind of get me so maybe I am overthinking it? They make a huge issue about keep rotor free of contaminants but it sure is going to get crude on it riding.
Sure seems like only way to go is hydraulic for sure better performance. They make a huge issue about take wheel off to not upset calipers. This must be easier to deal with than I think?

Finally not a lot margin for error when riding and any rotor noise hitting the brake even a bit would maybe drive me batty.

So if you are bored give some thoughts

Deacon mark
Old September 29th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 2:30:47 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok I have googled search the disk brake stuff. I have more questions and I have no experience with them riding. I do believe I can service them with no issues.

When you buy a disk brake wheelset I assume you have to put rotors on it that either came with the set you are replacing or you buy them separate?

Yes, you have to buy rotors. Six bolt are cheap, center lock are more expensive, particularly if they are Shimano OE. There are some knock-off center locks that are less expensive. You can also run adapters and convert center lock to six bolt to run cheaper rotors.

How much noise do they cause in braking compared to rim brakes? I guess I did not realize it is metal on metal at times or nearly that? Seems to me that might be noisy?

Depends on the rim brake. I've had some rim brakes that howl when wet and some that are super-quiet. The same goes with discs. I have one set that tends to howl in the rain and another set that doesn't. Both have the same pads. No amount of cleaning seems to make a difference. None of my discs make noise in dry weather.

Seems there are 3 different options for pads and which ones are the best? I assume like anything else you make decisions based on circumstances?

There are lots of different flavor pads these days. I use sintered metalic.. Good stopping, reasonably quiet and longer lived than organic. They make less noise than my rim brakes.

You know the deacon likes a real silent ride for sure. Grinding metal would kind of get me so maybe I am overthinking it? They make a huge issue about keep rotor free of contaminants but it sure is going to get crude on it riding.
Sure seems like only way to go is hydraulic for sure better performance. They make a huge issue about take wheel off to not upset calipers. This must be easier to deal with than I think?

If you squeeze the lever when the wheel is off (and there is no block between the pads), you can extend the pistons, and then it is hard to get the wheel/disc back in. If that happens, I push the pistons back in place with a screwdriver or plastic tire iron. No big deal. If you really, really work at it, you can push the pistons out of the caliper, but you would have to squeeze the lever repeatedly.

Finally not a lot margin for error when riding and any rotor noise hitting the brake even a bit would maybe drive me batty.

Assuming the pistons are not terribly grimy and draggy, you don't have to have any disc noise. I don't on three bikes. You arguably don't need a gauge, but I like mine: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg You can be fast and sloppy and everything turns out fine.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 29th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 4:58:33 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thank you JB this site has been kind of nice in the covid and my usual stuff. The other newsgroups I use to go to years ago dried up with garbage and this one still has some of the originals from many year ago......Andrew for one.

Deacon Mark
Old September 30th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 30/9/20 7:30 am, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok I have googled search the disk brake stuff. I have more questions
and I have no experience with them riding. I do believe I can service
them with no issues.

When you buy a disk brake wheelset I assume you have to put rotors on
it that either came with the set you are replacing or you buy them
separate?

Yes, usually. Depends on the required diameter of the disc needed for
the brake setup on your bike.

How much noise do they cause in braking compared to rim brakes? I
guess I did not realize it is metal on metal at times or nearly that?
Seems to me that might be noisy?

The only time I've had noisy disc brakes is when a little oil got into
the pads and on the discs. Don't let them become contaminated with oil.
They don't work at all well. Clean the discs with acetone thoroughly
and replace the pads, then they are quiet again.

Seems there are 3 different options for pads and which ones are the
best? I assume like anything else you make decisions based on
circumstances?

Pretty much. Self assess the pros and cons.

You know the deacon likes a real silent ride for sure. Grinding metal
would kind of get me so maybe I am overthinking it? They make a huge
issue about keep rotor free of contaminants but it sure is going to
get crude on it riding. Sure seems like only way to go is hydraulic
for sure better performance. They make a huge issue about take wheel
off to not upset calipers. This must be easier to deal with than I
think?

Oil contamination will cause brakes to make a horrid noise and they
don't work properly once contaminated.

With hydraulic I think you are more likely to accidentally contaminate
the discs and pads with oil. I've not had a problem from any other
contaminants in use while riding. Of course if you have oily fingers
and grab the disc, you've got oil on the disc and it is contaminated.
Don't do that. In this regard rim brakes are probably more tolerant of
mild contamination.

I am entirely happy with my cable actuated disc brakes, TRP Spyre-C.
Easy adjustment. Good braking. No messy oil or leaks.

Finally not a lot margin for error when riding and any rotor noise
hitting the brake even a bit would maybe drive me batty.

With cable brakes you adjust the shoe or pad clearance. If the disc
isn't perfectly flat you can adjust the pads away from the disc to
prevent rubbing. With hydraulics you don't have that luxury.

--
JS
Old September 30th 20, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 29/09/2020 23:30, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok I have googled search the disk brake stuff. I have more questions
and I have no experience with them riding. I do believe I can service
them with no issues.

It really isn't hard. For my tuppence worth I'd stay clear of brake
fluid sets and go with oil filled. Less aggravation.

When you buy a disk brake wheelset I assume you have to put rotors on
it that either came with the set you are replacing or you buy them
separate?

You buy them. Iirc the diameter matches the calipers, other than that
it's how much you want to spend and how much you like the pattern :-)

How much noise do they cause in braking compared to rim brakes? I
guess I did not realize it is metal on metal at times or nearly that?
Seems to me that might be noisy?

Same as rim brakes, some quiet some not.

Seems there are 3 different options for pads and which ones are the
best? I assume like anything else you make decisions based on
circumstances?

I use fully sintered as I prefer longevity over all else, I mean once
the stop the wheels going around, the rest is decoration, and they will
all stop the wheels going around.

You know the deacon likes a real silent ride for sure. Grinding metal
would kind of get me so maybe I am overthinking it? They make a huge
issue about keep rotor free of contaminants but it sure is going to
get crude on it riding. Sure seems like only way to go is hydraulic
for sure better performance. They make a huge issue about take wheel
off to not upset calipers. This must be easier to deal with than I
think?

Yes. You drop the wheel out and pop it back in. With rim brakes the
pads catch the tyre, with discs, the disc catches the pad. Wiggle them
in man!

Finally not a lot margin for error when riding and any rotor noise
hitting the brake even a bit would maybe drive me batty.

So if you are bored give some thoughts

About the only down side is as has been mentioned, discs don't tolerate
contamination, so don't go dropping them on the oily garage floor.
Commercial de-greaser will usually bring them back though (and pads).
That said, ime, they need so little maintenance it simply isn't an
issue, *BUT* spray chain lube...DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! Don't
use it outside in a breeze.

The reality for me is the braking is the same, but discs, paradoxically,
require less maintenance.
Old September 30th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 2:30:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I have never had a set of disk brakes that do not make noise as you get close to stopping because there is ALWAYS freeplay somewhere in the mechanism and you will go though that natural frequency normally as you get close to a stop. This seldom occurs at speed or for long unless there is something wrong.