DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims?

Old December 31st 05, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims?

Has anyone had had any experience with these? Do they have little
drainage holes to let water out? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Joseph

Old December 31st 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Has anyone had had any experience with these? Do they have little
drainage holes to let water out? Any other thoughts?

Ask me again in 6 months: I had 4 wheelsets built with these rims.

Greetings, Derk
Old December 31st 05, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Did you get them yet? Do they have a hole in the sidewall?

Yes and no, not that I can find.....

Greetings, Derk
Old December 31st 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joseph Santaniello writes:

Has anyone had had any experience with these? Do they have little
drainage holes to let water out? Any other thoughts?

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...ikedetail&id=8

In this picture, the RR 1.1 appears to have no holes nor am I aware of
any rims that have drains. Although it is available for 28..36 spokes,
I don't believe it uses spoke sockets or that would have been shown.
This rim supports spoke loads on eyelets bearing only on its outer wall.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 31st 05, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Antti Salonen wrote:

As Jobst pointed out, they only have single-wall eyelets, which may be a
valid concern.

Why? I haven't heard of problems with these rims yet. Have you?

Greetings, Derk
Old January 1st 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:

Why? I haven't heard of problems with these rims yet. Have you?

Not really. I think they've been on market for two years now, so I
guess reports would've come in already. There's no doubt that double
wall eyelets are a better design, but perhaps the rim material is strong
enough so that single-wall eyelets are sufficient within reasonable
spoke tension.

-as
Old January 1st 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk who? writes:

As Jobst pointed out, they only have single-wall eyelets, which may be a
valid concern.

Why? I haven't heard of problems with these rims yet. Have you?

We read reports of rims developing cracks around eyelets often on this
forum. Many riders do not recall when heavier deep-V aero rims were
rare and most good rims had sockets AND eyelets. Aero rims showed
that spokes hanging in a deep-V on a narrow thick bed did not crack
rims. Subsequently spoke sockets have vanished from nearly all other
rims and now they crack. We don't have any user reports of durability
of these or similar new rims as they become available but there is no
indication why they should be immune to cracking, considering that
they do not have thicker walls. Besides, they are anodized which can
accelerate cracking.

Jobst Brandt