eBike News

Old September 19th 20, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default eBike News

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 21:07:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/18/2020 8:51 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 10:44:58 AM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Op vrijdag 18 september 2020 om 02:31:59 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
On 9/16/2020 5:45 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I got my wife an eBike for her birthday via my son at Specialized.
Box arrived yesterday, and I about herniated myself getting it into
the garage. One of these:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...o-vado-reivew/
I had no idea it was a Buycycling Editor's choice, but I'll go with
it. Being family, I got employee pricing -- otherwise it would have
been a harder choice. Even the bottom of the range is expensive,
but it is a nice bike.

There were some odd-ball assembly issues, and I still have to
update the firmware (which is like a huge thing because you want
the latest performance advantages!), but it went together fine.
Lots of bells (literally) and whistles.

My wife is 5'10" (or used to be), so my son sized her as a large,
which is fine for saddle to pedal distance, but the tire height/BB
makes the stand-over high, even with a sloping top-tube. The thing
is like a mini-motorcycle. She has some neuro/ortho conditions that
affect her mobility, but she seems to be fine swinging her leg over
the saddle and off the bike. She doesn't complain, which is
sometimes a problem. "Oh its fine [followed by catastrophe]." I do
worry about the size of the thing, though.

On max setting, the bike is super fast with a top speed of 28mph.
I'm going to throw on a QR seatpost clamp so I can use it for
shopping. You would need a truck to steal it, and it has a
kickstand and a really swanky little rack. The future is now! My
son is trying to get me interested in the mega-zillion dollar 22lb
stealth eBikes -- so I can keep up with him, but I would need a
winning lottery ticket, even at employee pricing.

In another small bicycle-world twist, my son tells me I'll need a
hitch rack tray that my wife can roll the bike onto -- made by
Yakima. So I walk down the street and ask my neighbor and best
bicycling buddy -- who is head of products for Yakima and happened
to be working in his yard, for a rack. Its on the way. Life is
good.
I was flying around on it last night. The dismount is troubling for my
wife. I may see if I can exchange the bike for a step-through. My son
is trying to get me to go with a dropper post, but I'm not sold on
that, but I'll do some more experimenting to see if that could be a
fix. I just don't want my wife getting her leg hung up swinging it over
the saddle.

My poor wife was a spectacular racer back in the day and a great tandem
motor, but she was hit with a neuro-muscular disorder and has wires in
her brain to make her stand more upright (DBS for dystonia). She also
broke a hip skiing, or it simply broke while skiing -- who knows.
Anyway, she is still lean and mean and walks all over the place, but
she's held together with screws and wires. The last thing I want is for
her to get mugged by her bike. She's tired of hospitals, as is the rest
of the family. Between all three of us, we probably have ten pounds of
titanium parts.
IMHO, the more ebike riders are old, fat, or frail, the better for
Real_Cycling. So I should applaud the Turbo Vado choice. But sometimes, I
feel compassionate even for coastal lawyer wifes.

Who selected that ebike for her? If it was your son, ban him from giving
bike advice to old or handicapped people! Or at least have him pay for it.
That sloped diamond frame (L is standard with 175mm cranks) sounds wrong
for her size and dismounting issues.
That is too bad. Do your wife a favor and get her a step through frame. I
think that would even for me the way to go when I'm ready for an utility
E bike. This is a popular model around here at the moment:

https://www.gazelle.nl/ultimate-t10-...07%2C211%2C184
Agreed. (Interesting that the Turbo-Vado sports a longer front fender than
a Dutch brand.)

Or give in to AJ's Utopia propaganda, go feminine, extravagant, craft frame
style, and show battery pride instead of trying to "hide" the electron tank
in a blown-up downtube outline.
https://www.utopia-velo.de/en/pedelec/sprint-pedelec/

Here's the trick: If she is afraid of looking old because of a step-thru
geometry, ask her if this truly awful frame shape makes the model look old:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iwMAA...8HM/s-l800.jpg

I wrote a long post identifying each of the problems of that bike that the two counterproductive Beatties (father and son) chose for the wife and mother*. I didn't send it because I saw no point in draining the glee from Jay's day, despite his and Krygowski's constant crap about my supposed clunker -- which has a frame lighter than their best road bikes. If they could afford a bike like mine, I'd have to join the end of the waiting list because they be muscling in rudely. Oh, wait, Jay spent near German baukast money for an entirely unsuitable bike for his wife... I'm starting to think these Americans aren't so much foolish as ignorant.

I'm sorry about Mrs Beattie's misfortune.

Andre Jute
There are low stopover bikes for a reason. European bikes have properly braced racks for a reason. Etc. Etc. Etc.

*I didn't think I would ever see a greater mismatch of a bicycle to its intended rider than the Paramount idiocy that the RBT xenophobes wished on me, described at
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicy...m/I18KpJSsCQAJ
but Jay's just taken the prize for that one.

Paramount idiocy? Huh?
Your link goes to a login screen.

Not all Paramounts are idiotic;
https://live.staticflickr.com/8727/1...f81425d9_b.jpg

But, where do you put the battery :-?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 19th 20, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Americans? Hmmm. My son and I made a choice driven in part by available stock and my wife's past bikes, and if it turns out to be wrong, we'll try other options. It was a gift, and sometimes gifts go back.

You spend an inordinate amount of time justifying your Eiffel Tower mixte and prescribing it to others. I'll tell you what, drop by PDX, and we'll do West Hill repeats. You on your Kranich and me on my Emonda. You can judge which is better. Maybe this ride: https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_r...-ronde?lang=en

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 20th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Sorry. You need to scroll up to the top of the screen (on my version, traditional Google groups format on Safari on Mac). Or you can search for WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE. I'd give it a miss, if I were you; you've seen it, and it wasn't aimed at you. -- AJ

Not all Paramounts are idiotic;
https://live.staticflickr.com/8727/1...f81425d9_b.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 20th 20, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Now you're talking sense.

You spend an inordinate amount of time justifying your Eiffel Tower mixte and prescribing it to others.

Nope. Put a paralegal on counting your remarks about your bikes and you'll discover you've made a magnitude more remarks about your bikes than I have about mine. The other difference is that I write memorably and persuasively, so my contribution looks larger. But in the post that you're specifically objecting to in this instance, I didn't even mention my bike's name. In any event, if the resident idiots call it an "Eiffel Tower" and worse, as they can't resist doing, they have no right to whine when I straighten them out.
Old September 20th 20, 09:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Andre Jute wrote:

Op vrijdag 18 september 2020 om 02:31:59 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
On 9/16/2020 5:45 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I got my wife an eBike for her birthday via my son at
Specialized. Box arrived yesterday, and I about herniated
myself getting it into the garage. One of these:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...o-vado-reivew/

I was flying around on it last night. The dismount is troubling
for my wife. I may see if I can exchange the bike for a
step-through. My son is trying to get me to go with a dropper
post, but I'm not sold on that, but I'll do some more
experimenting to see if that could be a fix. I just don't want
my wife getting her leg hung up swinging it over the saddle.

I trust that now everyone has given you a few tips, you'll eventually
find a bike to suit your wife's circumstances.

Wait, something's amiss: Nobody mentioned recumbents!

--
It's a steel!
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/utopia-kranich-damenrad-retro-sammlerstueck-raritaet-28-zoll/1494211544-217-4350
Old September 20th 20, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Wait, something's amiss: Nobody mentioned recumbents!

You may be old enough to be grateful to sit down on a recumbent, but if you're on RBT it is almost guaranteed that you aren't young enough to stand up again from a recumbent.

It's a steel!
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/utopia-kranich-damenrad-retro-sammlerstueck-raritaet-28-zoll/1494211544-217-4350

Not bad for a bike first designed in 1935, first sold to the public in 1936.

Andre Jute
No fashion victims here
Old September 20th 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Andre Jute wrote:
Wait, something's amiss: Nobody mentioned recumbents!

You may be old enough to be grateful to sit down on a recumbent, but if
you're on RBT it is almost guaranteed that you aren't young enough to
stand up again from a recumbent.

Almost.

It's a steel!
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/utopia-kranich-damenrad-retro-sammlerstueck-raritaet-28-zoll/1494211544-217-4350

Not bad for a bike first designed in 1935, first sold to the public in
1936.

Andre Jute No fashion victims here

Below is another mid-late 1990's build, probably in even better shape. Add
the guy's Grundig radio on top, get a pair of non-petrified brake pads, pay
500 euros, and even a fashion victim like Beattie junior could receive
selfie requests from shy Mormon cheerleader girls and nods of approval from
white-haired Lohas Portlanders -- until he spectacularly falls off the bike
because he forgot there's coaster brake.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/utopia-fahrrad-moewe-7-gang-nabenschaltung-28-/1475927220-217-1556
Old September 20th 20, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 6:35:38 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I had to look up Lohas. My son had a coaster brake bike once. Trek Mountain Cub. http://forsale.ztitan.com/albums/use..._trek_bike.jpg It was bitchin. He had this wascally wabbit speech impediment in kindergarten, and giving him a Utopia Kranich would have subjected him to ridicule. "Hewe is my Utopia Kwanich." "Mountain Cub" is much more assertive and affirming.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 21st 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 2:35:38 PM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

"Shy Mormon cheerleader girls" forward enough to ask the opposite sex for selfies, that's surely that rare creature, a double oxymoron.

The bike in the ad is not a Kranich but a ladies' version of the Moewe. One of the small snobberies of being a Utopia owner is distinguishing bikes with pretty much the same profile and, in this case, plan too. The main difference is that the Mowe was built with near-off-the-shelf Columbus tubes, while the modern Kranich is built with custom-drawn tubes. I have no idea whether it makes a difference. Maybe in like for like bikes it might save a few ounces, but the modern Kranich frame and fittings are so much wider that I'm sure the weight gain is lost again in the various crosswise pieces which are now longer. It is enough that one has a bike built by obsessives who do nothing without a reason, and when they have a reason do not ask irrelevant accounting questions but just do it regardless. I'm such a person too, so I'm in perfect sympathy with my bike and its makers -- I've kept my Kranich for ten years now, while none of my other bikes lasted longer than two years.

I'll tell you what else is weirder than the "bicycle" the Beatties, pere et fils, decided was right for their wife and mother, and even older in provenance than my Kranich: the Pedersen of 1893, still in production and with the largest producer recently taken over by Utopia, and of course further developed. I considered a Pedersen seriously in the time of the previous German manufacturer, Kalle Kalkhoff, who was himself no slacker in the punctilio department, but each time I looked at it, I was stumped by the leg-over problem. The Locomotief designer who created the Unisex de Luxe back in 1935 was clearly influenced by the ladies version of the Pedersen.

Some Pedersens in America:
http://pedersenbicycles.com/gallery.htm
and on this page the last of the Kalkhoff Pedersens at pretty good prices with Shimano seven and eight speed boxes, including at least one suitable for tall people, with a two-year Utopia warranty -- their own bikes are warranted ten years, so arrive at your own conclusion -- :
https://www.pedersen-velo.de/vertrie...-sonderpreise/

Of course, for ninety-nine per cent of cyclists "innovation" means a garish paint job on a deadly dull diamond frame. And the dumb, the perennially unlucky, the mathematically challenged, and the poor are right to stick to diamond frames. It's difficult for a designer to go wrong with a diamond frame, though it does happen. The harshest bike I ever had was a steel diamond-framed Peugeot Paris; it killed my back and bought my physio a big new BMW; the designer got the tube sizes and weights wrong.

Andre Jute
"Pay attention or tomorrow you won't remember what I said." -- a great-uncle, a retired professor of history, who ****ed me off, but that now I wish I had listened to about wood-carving.

Old September 21st 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I hope you know what you're confessing to on behalf of your son, Jay, and of yourself too. -- AJ

My ebike is legal! Doug[_3_] UK 118 April 27th 11 10:52 PM
ebike build Wes Newell General 0 February 16th 11 12:03 AM
ebike forum. chewbacca Australia 0 January 29th 08 07:40 PM
I want to buy ebike kit (europe) Rainer Wallen General 1 April 10th 05 06:58 PM
ebike kit Rainer Wallen Social Issues 0 April 10th 05 12:57 PM