Front Brake LH or RH?

Old September 24th 20, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Front Brake LH or RH?

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:51:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/23/2020 10:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

My guess is that for cable operated brakes it's usually pretty easy. For
hydraulics, maybe not. But then, I've never worked on hydraulic brakes.

What's ludicrous is the legal requirement for brake lever placement.

Back in the "old Days" Indian motorcycles had the throttle and front
brake lever on the left side and shifted on the right while Harley
Davidson had the throttle and brake on the right side and shifted on
the left :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 24th 20, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 23/09/2020 21.17, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
On 23/09/2020 17.15, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 17:55:19 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 10:59:06 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 23 september 2020 om 16:35:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir
Ridesalot:
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 09:55:59 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Ludicrous. Is it really that hard for a bicycle shop to switch
the brake lever location prior to selling the bike?

Rose and also Canyon are not just a bicycle shops.

I meant that the bicycle shop in the UK that brings in the bikes.
Would it be that hard for them to switch the brake levers?

Rose/Canyon sell their bikes directly to the consumer.

I pulled up from that point as I wasn't sure. In that case I suspect
that 10 year old legislation isn't their issue as they could sell their
bikes, as they do, in a box, and it is therefore a kit bike, and not
subject to the legislation. Which is what they do in Germany to avoid
that nonsense.

What nonsense exactly do they need to avoid in Germany?

Mandatory lights, hub dynamo, reflectors on wheels and pedals, bell,
probably one or two more I can't remember.

And to keep it a kit in UK, wouldn't it be sufficient to put the bell in a
plastic bag taped to the handlebar?

You need to do work to assemble it. Typically shipped without pedals,
and of course a bit of work getting the handlebars straight. Often
without saddle as well. Your idea might work, not sure.
Old September 24th 20, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 24/09/2020 00.36, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/23/2020 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:55:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Who needs two levers anyway?
https://www.outbraker.com/double-booster/
"DBB is designed for disabled riders who need to control Front/Rear
Brakes together with one arm."

I think that's far from ideal. Except for the slowest paved road
flatland riding, it's very valuable to be able to control the two brakes
individually. I'm not sure what that company is doing with a variable
reservoir, but their adjustment probably can't be made instantaneously
while riding.

The best idea was from Oli Sparrow, who seems to have shuffled off the
interweb, his idea was a single lever controlling both independently.

A picture here;

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/images/Oli%20Sparrow02.jpg

His website detailed it a lot more. I'm sure there was a market, as
people that needed one would pay a lot, but a small market.
Old September 24th 20, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 24/09/2020 11.42, Tosspot wrote:
On 24/09/2020 00.36, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/23/2020 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:55:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bi...r-brake-rules/

Who needs two levers anyway?
https://www.outbraker.com/double-booster/
"DBB is designed for disabled riders who need to control Front/Rear
Brakes together with one arm."

I think that's far from ideal. Except for the slowest paved road
flatland riding, it's very valuable to be able to control the two
brakes individually. I'm not sure what that company is doing with a
variable reservoir, but their adjustment probably can't be made
instantaneously while riding.

The best idea was from Oli Sparrow, who seems to have shuffled off the
interweb, his idea was a single lever controlling both independently.

A picture here;

Â*Â*Â*Â*http://www.mtb-amputee.com/images/Oli%20Sparrow02.jpg

His website detailed it a lot more.Â* I'm sure there was a market, as
people that needed one would pay a lot, but a small market.

Bad form I know, but a better picture

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/images/Oli%20Sparrow02.jpg

Old September 24th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

To legally sell and ship a bike domestically, Rose is not required to mount
or include any of the mentioned articles. (And Stvzo approved battery
lights have been completely legal for seven years.)

And to keep it a kit in UK, wouldn't it be sufficient to put the bell in a
plastic bag taped to the handlebar?

You need to do work to assemble it. Typically shipped without pedals,
and of course a bit of work getting the handlebars straight. Often
without saddle as well. Your idea might work, not sure.

Leaving out pedals etc. certainly is more of a space (and cost) saver than
not attaching a bell. I agree Rose's move is completely due to
non-technical reasons.

--
"According to NASA, there is a 0.042 percent chance of the Nov. 2nd asteroid
hitting Earth. That's about 85 percent more likely than dying from Covid-19
Old September 24th 20, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/24/2020 10:45 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

(And Stvzo approved battery

lights have been completely legal for seven years.)

They're hard to find here in the U.S. Do you have links to common ones
over there?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/24/2020 6:42 AM, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

So does one pull back for one brake, and push down for the other?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 20, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Tosspot wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected. I will have a word with my German colleagues and
works cycle to work scheme implementors. And also get rid of all
aforementioned rubbish adorning my commuter.

Old September 24th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*http://www.mtb-amputee.com/images/Oli%20Sparrow02.jpg

His website detailed it a lot more.Â* I'm sure there was a market, as
people that needed one would pay a lot, but a small market.

So does one pull back for one brake, and push down for the other?

Yes. And of course depending on plumbing you can be a US lefty or a GB
righty.

Old September 24th 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Tosspot wrote:
On 23/09/2020 21.17, Sepp Ruf wrote:

What nonsense exactly do they need to avoid in Germany?

Mandatory lights, hub dynamo, reflectors on wheels and pedals, bell,
probably one or two more I can't remember.

To legally sell and ship a bike domestically, Rose is not required to
mount or include any of the mentioned articles.* (And Stvzo approved battery
lights have been completely legal for seven years.)

I stand corrected.* I will have a word with my German colleagues and
works cycle to work scheme implementors.* And also get rid of all
aforementioned rubbish adorning my commuter.

Do you understand the difference between "legally sell a bike" and
"legally use a bike on the road"?
Bikes that are not meant to be used on roads do not need to have
equipment that is necessary for legally using the roads. This is the
difference between a trade restriction and a usage restriction.