Scots cyclist tells of terror as 'moron' driver 'tries to ram' himand pal off rural road

Old September 26th 20, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Scots cyclist tells of terror as 'moron' driver 'tries to ram' himand pal off rural road

QUOTE:
A Scots cyclist has told of his terror as an 'idiot' driver allegedly attempted to ram him and his pal off the road.

Ashley Keenon said he hit the car's side window 'about eight times' as he and his friend Colin Ritchie enjoyed a bike ride on the rural North Deeside Road in Aberdeenshire yesterday.

They had been cycling at around 3pm yesterday when the driver in a Kia Sportage appeared to slow down to drive into the pair who were riding side by side.

The 36-year-old, who runs the AK Architecture business, has reported the incident to police and is due to give a statement.

Colin had just finished a massive 560 mile non-stop trek over 31 hours when it took place.

Experienced cyclist Ashley, from Aberdeen, told the Record the frightening ten second encounter was among the worst he'd ever been through - despite previously biking on major roads like the A9.

He said: "I've ridden on dual carriage ways and major roads but this is up there with the worst things.

"We were going along at (around 20mph) so it could have really caused damage.

"I was thinking 'this is pretty scary. If I come off here it could be very sore or I could end up under his wheels."

Ashley added that the pair had decided on biking as both were at a loose end.

He said: "We both decided we would go out to Banchory on the North Deeside Road.

"After Drumoak we decided to cycle side by side for safety as it is quick at that stretch.

"Out of nowhere this car overtook us and then slowed down and was driving beside us.

"It then started weighing in towards us and suddenly I felt myself hitting the window.

"He just kept ramming into us. I must have hit the window about eight times..

"My friend was almost cycling on the verge so it is lucky he is experienced..
Ashley and Colin out cycling (Image: Facebook)

"The whole thing maybe lasted 10 seconds but when you're going at that speed it feels a lot longer."

He added: "It was a bizarre, weird moment.

"I have no idea why he was deliberately trying to run us off the road.

"Colin has just done this massive trek and then some idiot is trying to ram us.

"I would like to get this guy caught so he can't do anything like this again.