Craigslist Scam

Old September 28th 20, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Craigslist Scam

I think I've told you about my Madone selling within 5 minutes of it being posted. Well, the check arrived today from Tampa, and it was drawn on a company in San Luis Obispo, CA and was for 3 times the asking price. Needless to say I reported it to the FBI and called the company in San Luis Obispo to let them know. They already knew and their checking accounts had been changed a long time ago.

The real ****er was that I had other offers that I turned down with all of this going on. A stock trader friend told me when I told him about it on Saturday that it was a scam but I couldn't see why anyone would be doing such a thing. Well, they are doing it and so look out if you're using Craigslist.
Old September 29th 20, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 12:43:44 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

I think I've told you about my Madone selling within 5 minutes of it
being posted. Well, the check arrived today from Tampa, and it was drawn
on a company in San Luis Obispo, CA and was for 3 times the asking
price. Needless to say I reported it to the FBI and called the company
in San Luis Obispo to let them know. They already knew and their
checking accounts had been changed a long time ago.

The real ****er was that I had other offers that I turned down with all
of this going on. A stock trader friend told me when I told him about it
on Saturday that it was a scam but I couldn't see why anyone would be
doing such a thing. Well, they are doing it and so look out if you're
using Craigslist.

Old scam. they send you a checxk/cheque over the amount.
"woops, made a mistake, can you send difference back"
You cash check/cheque (that turns out to be rubber) and send them goods
and $$$ into the bargain.

Old September 29th 20, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 28, 2020 at 9:18:49 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
[...]

Way old. Its a variation on the Nigerian prince scam, and something that has been happening on Craigslist for years and years. https://www.craigslist..org/about/scams Last example. They over-pay (with a fraudulent check), and you wire them the spread. It's always the first response to an ad. I think they're automated -- a form of phishing.

-- Jay Beattie.