Motorists will even hate us more now

Old August 4th 05, 11:14 AM
Peter Wilson

Default Motorists will even hate us more now

The story on ACA tonight will only make us more hated on the roads, we
really didn't need that story.
But we do have a problem, they want us off the footpaths, and also off the
roads, so where the F%$k are we supposed to ride.

Great idea, about registration, but I don,t think a big number plate is
going to look too cool on my Trek Road bike.

Anyway, we can only live day by day, its a shame that the general public
doesn't see the benefit we are doing by putting less pollution in our
cities, and keeping people out of hospitals by keeping fit, no they get
****ed off because we hold them up for about 3 seconds.

Old August 4th 05, 12:21 PM
rooman

Peter Wilson Wrote:
The story on ACA tonight will only make us more hated on the roads, w
really didn't need that story
But we do have a problem, they want us off the footpaths, and also of
th
roads, so where the F%$k are we supposed to ride

Great idea, about registration, but I don,t think a big number plate i
going to look too cool on my Trek Road bike

Anyway, we can only live day by day, its a shame that the genera
publi
doesn't see the benefit we are doing by putting less pollution in ou
cities, and keeping people out of hospitals by keeping fit, no they ge
****ed off because we hold them up for about 3 seconds.

*86,400.......86,400.......86,400*.......make 86,400 your riding mantr

that's how many seconds there are in a day...

do the math 60x60x24 = more than enough bloody time for a jerk of
impatient to lend just a few seconds to a rider to save his life...i
won't cost the driver much if he does...it could cost a rider his lif
if the driver doesn't...

86,400....86,400...... 86,40

--
rooman

Old August 4th 05, 01:30 PM
MikeyOz

rooman Wrote:
*86,400.......86,400.......86,400*.......make 86,400 your riding mantra

that's how many seconds there are in a day....

do the math 60x60x24 = more than enough bloody time for a jerk off
impatient to lend just a few seconds to a rider to save his life...it
won't cost the driver much if he does...it could cost a rider his life
if the driver doesn't....

86,400....86,400...... 86,400

yeah and why should the government have any real incentive to do
anything to change the situation when they make so much money out of
fuel tax.

I saw an article saying the sale of bicycles in the UK was continuing
to increase due to the petrol price showing no sign of slowing down,
maybe it will happen here as well, the cost of petrol will get so high,
people will starting riding bikes and we can watch the government start
to lose money on fuel tax, and then! they will introduce a registration
for bikes and a cost to go with it.

--
MikeyOz

Old August 4th 05, 01:34 PM
DJ

"Peter Wilson" wrote in message
The story on ACA tonight will only make us more hated on the roads, we
really didn't need that story.
But we do have a problem, they want us off the footpaths, and also off the
roads, so where the F%$k are we supposed to ride.

Great idea, about registration, but I don,t think a big number plate is
going to look too cool on my Trek Road bike.

Anyway, we can only live day by day, its a shame that the general public
doesn't see the benefit we are doing by putting less pollution in our
cities, and keeping people out of hospitals by keeping fit, no they get
****ed off because we hold them up for about 3 seconds.

This idea about bicycle registration is BS as far as I'm concerned, are they
gunna force 5-12 yr old kids to register their BMX's or MTB's? Don't think
so!!
A bicycle is not a motorised machine, so why should it have to be registered
when anyone from 3-100 yrs old can ride one.
To make the Government worth it's while in admin costs, rego would have to
be over $80 a year, you could then see a whole industry bite the
dust....bike shops closed down, more people out of work, closing of clubs,
associations and not to mention, loss of freedom due to not being able to
keep the old clunker going because nobody can afford it.

One way to get motorists to be cycle savvy is to penalise them
hard.......that means anyone found guilty of hitting a cyclist due to
agravation or Hit Run should lose licence for at least 5 yrs, or even Jail
terms of the same if a cyclist dies due to driver negligence and 10 yrs
minimum for causing death or Hit /run

They can only be aware when it will cost them BIG TIME!! After all, a
cyclist is human and human life should be most important consideration.You
only have to look how the law protects pedestrians on footpaths and road
crossings not to mention school crossing zones, so why are people on
bicycles treated different? They have the same vulnerabilities although are
a lot quicker.

The only difference between a motorvehicle and a gun is the person in
control of the weapon.......if a death of a cyclist is caused in anger, then
the penalty should be the same as a shooting.

end of rant.....

Cheers
DJ

Old August 4th 05, 01:47 PM
ritcho

Peter Wilson Wrote:
The story on ACA tonight will only make us more hated on the roads, we
really didn't need that story.
But we do have a problem, they want us off the footpaths, and also of
the
roads, so where the F%$k are we supposed to ride.

Great idea, about registration, but I don,t think a big number plat
is
going to look too cool on my Trek Road bike.

Anyway, we can only live day by day, its a shame that the genera
public
doesn't see the benefit we are doing by putting less pollution in our
cities, and keeping people out of hospitals by keeping fit, no the
get
****ed off because we hold them up for about 3 seconds.

Two points: 1: the idea that registration will somehow improv
compliance with road rules is at odds with motorists' behaviou
(presuming that was the spin on the idea). 2: Who gets home in time t
watch that crap anyway?

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old August 5th 05, 01:43 AM
Tamyka Bell

DJ wrote:

[...]

Given the huge focus on revenue building by catching speeding drivers,
etc., you'd think actually enforcing the rules that protect cyclists
would be a bigger priority - imagine the revenue from this!

Tam
Old August 5th 05, 02:58 AM
EuanB

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
DJ wrote
Given the huge focus on revenue building by catching speeding drivers
etc., you'd think actually enforcing the rules that protect cyclist
would be a bigger priority - imagine the revenue from this

Tam

Yeah but that requires manpower

I work with cops, one of my colleagues used to be an acciden
investiagtor. I don't know any of them who are in favor of speed cams

--
EuanB

Old August 5th 05, 03:00 AM
Walrus

MikeyOz Wrote:
I saw an article saying the sale of bicycles in the UK was continuing t
increase due to the petrol price showing no sign of slowing down, mayb
it will happen here as well, the cost of petrol will get so high
people will starting riding bikes and we can watch the government star
to lose money on fuel tax, and then! they will introduce a registratio
for bikes and a cost to go with it.

The other reasons that bikes have skyrocketed in the UK is the Londo
CBD tarif, and the fact that they introduced a law whereby you ca
salary sacrifice a bike in the UK. Now that's a great idea!

I believe they're also talking about a CBD tarif for Melbourne as well

--
Walrus

Old August 5th 05, 03:17 AM
EuanB

Walrus Wrote:
The other reasons that bikes have skyrocketed in the UK is the Londo
CBD tarif, and the fact that they introduced a law whereby you ca
salary sacrifice a bike in the UK. Now that's a great idea

I believe they're also talking about a CBD tarif for Melbourne as well.

They are but it's not all it's cracked up to be. The main offender
with respect to congestion in the CBD are the office bound types wh
drive a car in to the CBD because they're important and stuff.
Generally these are the well paid types who have a car as part of thei
package along with their paid for car park; the tarrif will just becom
another part of the package

Meanwhile those who have a genuine need to use a car in the CBD t
conduct their business will be penalised; the couriers, tradies etc.
It's less likely that the tarrif will be part of their package

Commuters who can't afford the CBD tarrif will still drive if they liv
in the Dandenongs; they'll just get off at Richmond which will push th
congestion out to the perimiter of the CBD. This is what's happened i
London

--
EuanB