Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

Old April 25th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

Default Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

This is a case of yet more mistreatment of motorists by "Safety"
Camera Partnerships and the CPS. This kind of thing just shows how
anti-motorist and unreasonable the whole speed camera system is, as
well as those who support SCPs and the CPS in cases like these. No-
one but a car-hater could possibly think that the motorists in
question deserved to be treated like this.

Anyone who has been accused of hating motorists and would like an
opportunity to show that they don't could do so by roundly condemning
the actions of the SCP and the CPS in this case and the many cases
like it, and saying that the result was the correct one. But I'm not
exactly expecting a flood of takers, least of all Chapman (his
imaginary "killfile" is merely an excuse; he does of course applaud
the actions of the authorities in this case, as anything which makes
the lives of ordinary car drivers more difficult is good as far as
he's concerned).

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...4229-23454567/

Drivers celebrate after A66 speed camera wrangle

DRIVERS are celebrating today after seeing their speeding charges
thrown out of court.
The speed camera on the A66 near Long Newton

And the 11 motorists who appeared at Teesside Magistrates Court may
have blazed a trail for others snapped by the same speed camera.

More than 750 drivers were snapped by the camera near the Long Newton
junction on the A66 between Darlington and Middlesbrough last April.

The 11 who stood before District Judge Martin Walker yesterday were
caught on camera on April 7 last year.

They faced a Ł60 fine and three penalty points - drivers with 12
points face being banned from the road.

Their alleged offences took place after the speed limit on a section
of the highway was changed from 70mph to 50mph due to roadworks.

But drivers said the sign advising of the new speed limit was placed
after the camera, or wasn’t there at all.

After hearing from prosecution witness, PC Karl Horowitz from
Cleveland Police safety camera unit, District Judge Walker threw the
cases out, and said no reasonable jury could possibly bring a
conviction.

He also told prosecutor Anne Mitchell the Crown’s case was in “total
disarray”.

His damning comments came after a key prosecution witness failed to
turn up, and defendants arrived at court without receiving crucial
documents from the prosecution team.

The jubilant drivers spoke of their relief outside court, but were
also angry at the circumstances in which they found themselves in the
dock.

Linda Greenwood, a 35-year-old civil servant from Redcar said: “It was
a total waste of public money.”

Company director Mike Storey, 41, from Darlington, said: “Someone
should have stopped it a long time before now.

“There was so many anomalies and so much that was obviously wrong with
the prosecution case.”

Figures produced in court showed there were only 47 speeding offences
in February and 31 in March last year, when the speed limit was 70mph
past the junction.

This rose to 756 offences when the speed limit was lowered in April.

In their defence, the motorists said drivers were unaware of the
change in speed limit because no sign had been erected.

PC Horowitz confirmed the Gatso camera had often run out of film
during the first two weeks of April, and was adjusted to only capture
motorists travelling at 60mph or above so staff could keep up with the
flood of prosecutions.

He said he was certain the 50mph signs were in place on April 6 and 8,
but admitted he failed to check on the day in question.

A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is
the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

More motorists caught by the Long Newton camera are due in court next
week to answer the similar charges.

Andrew Howard, head of road safety at the AA said while legal channels
do exist for motorists to challenge speeding fines, they should
exercise caution before using them.

He added: “The law’s absolute and there is scope to challenge these
things particularly if signs aren’t in place.”
Old April 25th 09, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

"A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is
the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

What is a "safety camera"?

--
Simon Mason

Old April 25th 09, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 25 Apr, 16:42, Sir Jeremy wrote:
On 25 Apr, 16:34, wrote:

"A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is
the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

What is a "safety camera"?

--
Simon Mason

ask your Mrs

She got caught by a mobile police unit outside a school, hiding in a
big van with red stripes on it and "safety camera partnership"
plastered all over it parked next to a sign on a lampost stating that
cameras were operating in that area.

--
Simon Mason
Old April 25th 09, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

wrote in message
"A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is

the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

What is a "safety camera"?

It is a device used to falsly accuse motorists of exceeding the speed limit
and thus raise money for the government.

Alan

--
Simon Mason

Old April 25th 09, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

On 25 Apr, 16:34, wrote:

"A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is
the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

What is a "safety camera"?

--
Simon Mason

ask your Mrs

She got caught by a mobile police unit outside a school, hiding in a

big van with red stripes on it and "safety camera partnership"
plastered all over it parked next to a sign on a lampost stating that
cameras were operating in that area.

But was she really exceeding the speed limit or was it just a con.

Was she silly enough to pay the fine, or did she ask to see the 'evidence'?

Alan

--
Simon Mason

Old April 25th 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 25 Apr, 19:30, "alan.holmes" wrote:
wrote in message

Was she silly enough to pay the fine, or did she ask to see the 'evidence'?

She admitted she was doing 40 mph in a 30 mph zone outside of a school
and since she had no money *I* was silly enough to pay the fine!

--
Simon Mason
Old April 25th 09, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 25 Apr, 19:28, "alan.holmes" wrote:
wrote in message

..."A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is

the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

What is a "safety camera"?

It is a device used to falsly accuse motorists of exceeding the speed limit
and thus raise money for the government.

The stupid thing as far as the law breaking driver is concerned, is
that the funds raised by safety cameras is spent on even more cameras
to catch even more law breakers to give the government even more
money. When will they learn?

--
Simon Mason

Old April 25th 09, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 25 Apr, 19:29, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
writes

On 25 Apr, 16:34, wrote:

"A spokesman for the Cleveland Safety Camera Partnership said: “It is
the responsibility of the contractors and the Highways Agency for
signage during road works. All we can do is check that the signs are
in the right place when police officers are present at the scene.”

What is a "safety camera"?

--
Simon Mason

ask your Mrs

She got caught by a mobile police unit outside a school, hiding in a
big van with red stripes on it and "safety camera partnership"
plastered all over it parked next to a sign on a lampost stating that
cameras were operating in that area.

Doesn't much help Killfiling Nuxy and co if people keep responding to
him/her.

think I need to add 'Motorist' in the subject line to it as well
--
Chris French- Hide quoted text -

You can add me to your killfile as well and solve that problem.

--
Simon Mason

Chapman's OWN Web Page: "I Hate Motorists" Chapman Is A Liar UK 15 October 22nd 08 04:29 AM
I Still Hate Motorists, Even Though I've Just Changed My Site To Attempt To Cover It Up Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 7 October 19th 08 11:32 PM
I Hate Motorists _[_4_] UK 4 October 10th 08 06:57 PM
Testosterone test: isotope test gabriel faure Racing 66 August 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Motorists will even hate us more now Peter Wilson Australia 8 August 5th 05 03:17 AM