A Sustrans dilemma

Old September 7th 05, 11:20 AM
Dave Larrington

Default A Sustrans dilemma

Also sprach Mike the Unshavable :
Danny Colyer writed in
news:dfkr3a$dfu$2 @newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

Mike Sales wrote:
Roads go everywhere.

Except where they don't. For example, the shortcut through the Avon
Valley taken by the Bath-Bristol path. Thanks to the cyclepath, my
daily commute is 2 miles shorter than the shortest road alternative.

And the NCN Route 6 between Market Harborough and Northampton, which
is more direct and has less hills than the alternative on-road
route.(OK you may not like the surface, but it's very ridable on a
standard touring bike).

And the chunk of NCN1 up the Regent's Canal / Hertford Union Canal / Lea
Navigation towpaths. It takes about the same time to get from New Cross
Gate to Larrington Towers using this route as it does to go on the road, but
the scenery is nicer and there are far fewer traffic lights...

And then there was light and He thought it was good, so He threw the
receipt away.

Old September 7th 05, 02:58 PM
iakobski

Interesting you know my son's mph/kph on his ride to school. When did you
ask him about it? ;-)

When I passed him on the A1065 the other week, he said "I don't
normally cycle this slowly, my Mum told me to slow down on the way to
school..."

Old September 7th 05, 03:58 PM
JohnB

iakobski wrote:

Interesting you know my son's mph/kph on his ride to school. When did you

ask him about it? ;-)

When I passed him on the A1065 the other week, he said "I don't
normally cycle this slowly, my Mum told me to slow down on the way to
school..."

Have you seen his time trial results? ;-)

John B
Old September 7th 05, 04:02 PM
iakobski

Have you seen his time trial results?

No, has he lost them?

Old September 7th 05, 06:30 PM
Tony Raven

Danny Colyer wrote:

The Sustrans guidelines changed a few years ago, though. Prior to
that they were all in favour of the sort of barriers that prevent
legitimate users from using the path. We are still left with the
legacy of those guidelines, in the form of barriers that were
installed years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if some local
authorities are still working with the old guidelines.

I don't think we can blame the council for barriers put in originally by
Sustrans under their old guidelines. As I understand it once Sustrans
have cmpleted the route they abandon it to the responsibility of the
Council to maintain. Perhaps they should think about going back and
bringing all their routes up to their own current standards.

--
Tony

Anon
Old September 7th 05, 08:17 PM
Danny Colyer

Tony Raven wrote:
I don't think we can blame the council for barriers put in originally by
Sustrans under their old guidelines. As I understand it once Sustrans
have cmpleted the route they abandon it to the responsibility of the
Council to maintain. Perhaps they should think about going back and
bringing all their routes up to their own current standards.

You're right, and that's not at all a bad idea.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old September 7th 05, 11:48 PM
Al C-F

Danny Colyer wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:

I don't think we can blame the council for barriers put in originally by
Sustrans under their old guidelines. As I understand it once Sustrans
have cmpleted the route they abandon it to the responsibility of the
Council to maintain. Perhaps they should think about going back and
bringing all their routes up to their own current standards.

You're right, and that's not at all a bad idea.

But that would involve a whole load of work and expense without being
able to claim any more miles. What would be the point of that?
Old September 10th 05, 06:55 PM
JohnB

Default GHS (was A Sustrans dilemma)

iakobski wrote:

Have you seen his time trial results?

No, has he lost them?

Dunno, but he was apparently about 50th in the GHS 10 mile Championship
with a long 25minutes.
I wonder if riding the trice affected the legs too much, but its not a
bad result.

There was a fantastic result by young Alex Dowsett who was 5mph faster
with a 20minutes 41 seconds.

John B

Sustrans White Rose Route George Sproat UK 0 August 14th 05 08:27 PM
Guardian article on Sustrans John Hearns UK 2 June 10th 05 01:28 PM
Sustrans website offline? Mike Causer UK 2 January 3rd 05 05:42 PM
Sustrans Rangers. Simon Mason UK 9 October 23rd 03 11:48 PM
Sustrans routes Zog The Undeniable UK 51 September 26th 03 11:08 AM