9sp crankset with 8sp everythingelse - will it work?

Old July 7th 04, 02:29 PM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Default 9sp crankset with 8sp everythingelse - will it work?

Hi again,

I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
chain and cassette?

I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little confused. Some
people say a 9sp crankset will work just fine. Others say the 9sp crankset
have reprofiled pick-up teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you have
to change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work fine with the
8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen on the idea of a 9sp chain
because I've read that 9sp components wear down up to twice as fast as 8sp
components.

Help!

I currently have my eye on an M572 LX splined 9sp crankset and an XT ES71
splined BB.

Thanks,
Jack

Old July 7th 04, 02:51 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:29:42 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
wrote:

Hi again,

I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
chain and cassette?

Yes. There is no problem with that.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.
Old July 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Mark Hickey

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" wrote:

I need to buy a new crankset. It looks like there's far more choice in
9sp-compatible cranksets than 8sp cranksets. But all the componentry on my
bike is currently 8sp. So - will a 9sp crankset work on my 8sp derailleurs,
chain and cassette?

I've done some research on the web and I'm now a little confused. Some
people say a 9sp crankset will work just fine. Others say the 9sp crankset
have reprofiled pick-up teeth that won't work with an 8sp chain so you have
to change the chain to a 9sp chain. The 9sp chain will work fine with the
8sp cassette and derailleurs. But I'm not keen on the idea of a 9sp chain
because I've read that 9sp components wear down up to twice as fast as 8sp
components.

A 9 speed crank will work fine with an otherwise 8 speed drivetrain.
The only real difference is going to be a slightly smaller space
between the two chainrings - hardly enough to get excited about.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 7th 04, 05:14 PM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano LX
M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!

Jack.

Old July 7th 04, 06:00 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:14:08 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
wrote:

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano LX
M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!

Jack.

Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

What is 'splined' (duh)?

-B

Old July 7th 04, 06:48 PM
KLydesdale

I'm running 9 speed cranksets with 8 speed chains, cassettes and shifters on
two MTBs right now - an XT FC-M760 w/ the integrated BB on my hardtail and
an XT FC-M752 splined BB set-up on my full rigid MTB. I've noticed no real
difference in shifting performance compared to full 8 speed setups. I'm
also using a 9 speed front derailleur on the hardtail with no fuss.

The only real problem I have is with my splined XT crank/BB setup. It
developed an intermittent clicking noise soon after I installed it last year
that I just can't get rid of no matter what I do. All the trouble-shooting
I've done (including wapping parts around from bike to bike and replacing
the BB) has points directly at the splined BB/crank interface. No amount
of cleaning, tightening or greasing gets rid of it permanently.

Old July 7th 04, 06:52 PM
S o r n i

KLydesdale wrote:
I'm running 9 speed cranksets with 8 speed chains, cassettes and
shifters on two MTBs right now - an XT FC-M760 w/ the integrated BB
on my hardtail and an XT FC-M752 splined BB set-up on my full rigid
MTB. I've noticed no real difference in shifting performance
compared to full 8 speed setups. I'm also using a 9 speed front
derailleur on the hardtail with no fuss.

The only real problem I have is with my splined XT crank/BB setup.
It developed an intermittent clicking noise soon after I installed it
last year that I just can't get rid of no matter what I do. All the
trouble-shooting I've done (including wapping parts around from bike
to bike and replacing the BB) has points directly at the splined
BB/crank interface. No amount of cleaning, tightening or greasing
gets rid of it permanently.

Check the Powerlink (if applicable) on your chain (sporadic due to gear
combos)???

Bill "tick...tick...tick..." S.

Old July 8th 04, 11:15 AM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

Hehe. If you insist...

Crankset:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...=10205&psid=24

BB:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...=11144&psid=24

What is 'splined' (duh)?

The Shimano website explains it as:

"Octalink Crank Arm Mount

Eight splines on the oversized hollow bottom bracket spindle mate with the
crank arm to form a stronger and more rigid interface."

Thanks,

Jack

Old July 8th 04, 01:30 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:15:06 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
wrote:

Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

Hehe. If you insist...

Crankset:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...=10205&psid=24

BB:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...=11144&psid=24

What is 'splined' (duh)?

The Shimano website explains it as:

"Octalink Crank Arm Mount

Eight splines on the oversized hollow bottom bracket spindle mate with the
crank arm to form a stronger and more rigid interface."

Thanks,

Jack

Thank you! What's the damage on those? Couple hundred US?

Schweet - the crankset just looks wicked. ;-p

-B

Old July 8th 04, 02:03 PM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Costs:

Crankset = 45 UKP ~ 83 USD

BB = 17 UKP ~ 32 USD

All from www.chainreactioncycles.com

Thanks,

Jack

"Badger_South" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:15:06 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
wrote:

Site link? .jpgs? ;-)

Hehe. If you insist...

Crankset:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin....phtml?pid=102

05&psid=24

BB:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin....phtml?pid=111

44&psid=24

What is 'splined' (duh)?

The Shimano website explains it as:

"Octalink Crank Arm Mount

Eight splines on the oversized hollow bottom bracket spindle mate with

the
crank arm to form a stronger and more rigid interface."

Thanks,

Jack

Thank you! What's the damage on those? Couple hundred US?

Schweet - the crankset just looks wicked. ;-p

-B

I Started a new "Ride to Work" Schedule .o0 0o. General 10 June 20th 04 10:29 PM
Back to biking to work Duke General 29 March 26th 04 06:51 PM
measuring (mechanical) work 223rem General 15 November 5th 03 11:39 AM
what is a good bag for taking clothes to work without wrinkling them Cory General 11 October 16th 03 12:36 AM