Lance and Floyd

Old May 2nd 05, 12:56 AM
psycholist

Default Lance and Floyd

Just saw the OLN "coverage" of Tour de GA and saw Lance's finish line
gesture to Floyd atop Brasstown Bald. So what was that? After the previous
stage, Floyd said, "the discovery guys weren't very nice to me today." I
assumed that was just a figure of speech. But then I saw that Lance gesture
and wondered if Lance is now holding a grudge against Floyd for moving on
with his career.

I know it's not like Lance flipped him off or anything, but he sure was
rubbing his nose in the fact that Danielson had just taken away his lead
(though I think Floyd may have been too far back to even notice the
gesture).

But man ... I couldn't believe the way Lance blasted away from Floyd there
at the finish. I've been there. That's some really steep road. Lance
opened up 100 meters on Floyd in a couple of blinks! And that after all
those miles and all the rest of that brutal mountain.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old May 2nd 05, 02:54 AM
PanFan

"psycholist" wrote in
:

Just saw the OLN "coverage" of Tour de GA and saw Lance's finish line
gesture to Floyd atop Brasstown Bald. So what was that? After the
previous stage, Floyd said, "the discovery guys weren't very nice to
me today." I assumed that was just a figure of speech. But then I
saw that Lance gesture and wondered if Lance is now holding a grudge
against Floyd for moving on with his career.

I know it's not like Lance flipped him off or anything, but he sure
was rubbing his nose in the fact that Danielson had just taken away
his lead (though I think Floyd may have been too far back to even
notice the gesture).

I had the feeling two years ago that Lance and Floyd were not close when
they were on Postal. Their personalities were like oil and water. They just
didn't mix. I also get the feeling Lance has been affected by his success
and sometimes likes to exert his status at the expense of other people.

Floyd, on the other hand, is a very humble person. He has a very blue
collar down-to-earth viewpoint and a great sense of sarcastic humor to make
sure we don't take the cycling world too seriously. He's so humble it might
even hurt his performance; he could use a little more swagger to emerge as
a team leader.

Old May 2nd 05, 03:12 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I had the feeling two years ago that Lance and Floyd were not close when
they were on Postal. Their personalities were like oil and water. They
just
didn't mix. I also get the feeling Lance has been affected by his success
and sometimes likes to exert his status at the expense of other people.

That's certainly at odds with Lance's last book, in which he basically
claims to have taken Landis under his wing and watched out for him. And of
course everything that's written in a book must be true, whether it's
written by Lance or Walsh...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"PanFan" wrote in message
"psycholist" wrote in
:

Old May 2nd 05, 03:21 AM
Tim Lines

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I had the feeling two years ago that Lance and Floyd were not close when
they were on Postal. Their personalities were like oil and water. They
just
didn't mix. I also get the feeling Lance has been affected by his success
and sometimes likes to exert his status at the expense of other people.

That's certainly at odds with Lance's last book, in which he basically
claims to have taken Landis under his wing and watched out for him. And of
course everything that's written in a book must be true, whether it's
written by Lance or Walsh...

Personally, those books make me want to throw up. However ...

Does anyone besides me remember a stage last year that Lance tried to
set Floyd up to win? It went to hell when Ullrich caught them on a
descent a few km from the finish. Lance won in a sprint over Kloden, I
believe. I'd have to go back over the DVD's but I believe this was just
before Alpe D'Huez.

It sure didn't appear that there was a grudge between them, their
"personalities were like oil and water" or anything like that.
Old May 2nd 05, 03:22 AM
psycholist

"PanFan" wrote in message
"psycholist" wrote in
:

[...]

What was Floyd's upbringing? Amish or Mennonite? Whichever ... I know
several Mennonites and one Amish and they share certain traits ... humility,
but also a quiet strength and confidence and an incredible work ethic. I
know it's not PC to generalize and stereotype like that, but if ever there
were groups worthy of stereotyping, it's the Amish and the Mennonites.
Where I live, many of the local tradesmen are Mennonites. They're the
plumbers, the electricians, the carpenters, the brick masons (actually,
they're Amish), etc. They show up when they say they're going to. They do
what they say they're going to do ... and then some. They don't work cheap,
but they tell you the cost up front and they never ask for a penny more.
They're honorable and trustworthy. Those are such rare qualities to find
these days.

I'm not too sure one would foster much of a killer instinct growing up under
that kind of influence. That, and the fundamental underlying belief in God
might give Floyd a personality profile that would clash with someone like
Lance.

Old May 2nd 05, 06:47 AM
Stewart Fleming

psycholist wrote:

[...]

First...

"The only reason I sprinted [away from Landis] is because I wasn't sure
if there were time bonuses or not," explained Armstrong. "Obviously, I
couldn't talk to Johan because he was busy yelling in Tom's ear... I
though perhaps it was going to be 10-, 6- and 4-seconds and it was going
to be close. You never know what happens, so you have to sprint in the
odd chance there is a time bonus..."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005...lts/georgia055

....but then...

"I didn't see [Landis, talking about sprinting at the end]. I looked
back to see where he was and looked at the clock..I've invested a lot of
time and energy into each and every one of them, whether it's Kevin
Livingston or Tyler Hamilton or Floyd Landis or, now, Tom Danielson. And
they've all become much better riders after they left the team. So to
see one rider who left the team on his own will be taken over by
somebody who came onto the team and is happy and really pleased to be
here, for me, that's a special thing."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...pr05/apr25news

"...somebody who came onto the team and is happy..."
Hmmmm. Ouch.
Old May 2nd 05, 10:42 AM

psycholist wrote:
Just saw the OLN "coverage" of Tour de GA and saw Lance's finish
line gesture to Floyd atop Brasstown Bald. So what was that? After
the previous

What kind of gesture did Lance do? There wasn't any tv coverage of the
TdG here in Europe, so I only saw what Lance said ("So to see one rider
who left the team on his own will be taken over by somebody who came
onto the team and is happy and really pleased to be here, for me,
that's a special thing.") after the stage and thought it
sounded...well...not very nice...

/Erik

--
"Pain is weakness leaving the body." -- USMC
http://erik.tjernlund.net/

Old May 2nd 05, 01:31 PM
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"Tim Lines" schreef in bericht
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

But then again, recent discoveries about Tyler Hamilton have made Walsh'
book more credible, too.

Old May 2nd 05, 01:44 PM
psycholist

wrote in message
oups.com...
psycholist wrote:
Just saw the OLN "coverage" of Tour de GA and saw Lance's finish
line gesture to Floyd atop Brasstown Bald. So what was that? After
the previous

What kind of gesture did Lance do? There wasn't any tv coverage of the
TdG here in Europe, so I only saw what Lance said ("So to see one rider
who left the team on his own will be taken over by somebody who came
onto the team and is happy and really pleased to be here, for me,
that's a special thing.") after the stage and thought it
sounded...well...not very nice...

/Erik

--
"Pain is weakness leaving the body." -- USMC
http://erik.tjernlund.net/

Lance sprinted away from Floyd in the last 1/2 km like Floyd was standing
still. Then, as Lance approached the line, he kinda made a big show of
pointing back to Floyd (picture him sitting upright and twisted all the way
around pointing back to Floyd), then pointing up to the clock to highlight
the time gap to Danielson, then fist pumping, etc. It really looked like an
"in your face" kind of thing. But it also looked like Floyd was so far back
already that he probably didn't see it.

Old May 2nd 05, 01:56 PM

"The only reason I sprinted [away from Landis] is because I wasn't sure

if there were time bonuses or not,"

I had read that comment and wondered how a professional rider could not
know if there were time bonuses or not in a tight race. It made me
wonder if Lance has truly lost interest...or if that was just an excuse
to rub it in Floyd's face. It was an amazing sprint and the type of
explosive cycling that makes Lance so popular, but the pointing back at
Floyd and then the clock... I guess Lance can't help it. That kind of
instinct makes him a winner but also makes people wonder about his
character. Remember the Simeoni incident?

Lance only 15th at TdG. crit PRO Racing 3 April 27th 05 01:09 PM
Don't make Lance Mad Raptor Racing 144 August 9th 04 08:10 PM
Simeoni and Lance situation Ronde Champ Racing 4 July 24th 04 12:21 AM
Floyd Landis' NPR Interview Isidor Gunsberg Racing 1 July 2nd 04 12:49 AM
Landis and Hostory 101 B. Lafferty Racing 28 February 28th 04 12:48 AM