Cheap tubular tires ??

Old August 18th 05, 05:17 PM

Default Cheap tubular tires ??

Hello:

I am looking for a good source for inexpensive 700C tubulars suitable
for training on relatively rough roads. I am a big rider (210) and would
prefer something more durable yet reasonably light weight.

A Canadian source would be the best soulution, although I am open to US
dealer(s).

Cheers,

Bruce
Old August 18th 05, 06:05 PM
bfd

Two sources you may want to look at:

In the US, Andy Muzi's Yellow Jersey sells clement or a variation of it
for $20 each or the bargain deal of 3 tires for $50US:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

Alternatively, La Bicicletta is in Canada and use to have "bulk special
deals" on tubies if you bought like 10 or mo

http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/...ular%20T ires

Finally, check out World Class Cycles for their tubie deals:

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular-price2.htm

Old August 18th 05, 07:35 PM

B wrote:
Hello:

I am looking for a good source for inexpensive 700C tubulars suitable
for training on relatively rough roads. I am a big rider (210) and would
prefer something more durable yet reasonably light weight.

A Canadian source would be the best soulution, although I am open to US
dealer(s).

I can't speak for Muzi's training tubulars deal, but in general these
days cheap tubulars don't seem to be worth it. I've had good success
with Conti Sprinters which can be found for US$50. They are twice as
reliable- half the flats- and have twice the quality- the casings are
straight, while cheaper tires are hit or miss- as tires costing half as
much. I don't know about your weight with the Sprinters, though, since
I weigh 50lbs less than you. I have not had good results with the Conti
Giro.

OTOH, if someone *can* vouch for Muzi's deal, I just might sign up for
some myself.

Also, I only ride a few thousand miles a year so my recent tire
sampling is small.

Old August 18th 05, 07:44 PM
bfd

My question is if you're willing to spend US$50 per tire, why not spend
that same for THREE tires and give it a try? It won't cost you any more
than what you're paying for one tire now and you'll get 3 tires. If
they're no good, then you won't be out much!

Old August 18th 05, 09:39 PM

bfd wrote:
My question is if you're willing to spend US$50 per tire, why not spend
that same for THREE tires and give it a try? It won't cost you any more
than what you're paying for one tire now and you'll get 3 tires. If
they're no good, then you won't be out much!

Good question. The answer is that one tire that costs $50 and has 1/2
the flats of a $25 tire and rolls straighter than the $25 tire and is
less likely to need returning because of bumps in it, is worth more
than twice as much as a $25 tire because it is much less hassle.
(They're also lighter, if that matters.) I think the tires that I use
now are a better buy at $50 than the $25 tires I am aware of, and since
there is a correlation between price and performance I am not willing
to take a chance on $16.50 tires without having solid information that
they will give me performance approaching what I already have, nothing
against Andrew Muzi who is offering a good deal on them. Call me
conservative.

Old August 18th 05, 10:54 PM

bfd wrote:
Two sources you may want to look at:

In the US, Andy Muzi's Yellow Jersey sells clement or a variation of it
for $20 each or the bargain deal of 3 tires for $50US:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

I ride these and like them very much. Straight, nice riding, light
(280 grams according to the 'weight weenies' site), durable, and cheap.
What more could you want?

These tires are half the price of a comparable quality clincher + tube,
and ride better.

Old August 18th 05, 11:01 PM

bfd wrote:
Two sources you may want to look at:

In the US, Andy Muzi's Yellow Jersey sells clement or a variation of it
for $20 each or the bargain deal of 3 tires for $50US:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

I should add that outside of Veloflex, Tufo, and Dugast, virtually all
other tubulars available in the US are made in the Lion Tire plant in
Thailand, including EVERY Vittoria model. So basically with the Yellow
Jersey deal, you're getting a 220TPI Vittoria at around 17 bucks a tire.

Old August 18th 05, 11:04 PM

wrote:
bfd wrote:
Two sources you may want to look at:

In the US, Andy Muzi's Yellow Jersey sells clement or a variation of it
for $20 each or the bargain deal of 3 tires for $50US:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

I should add that outside of Veloflex, Tufo, and Dugast, virtually all
other tubulars available in the US are made in the Lion Tire plant in
Thailand, including EVERY Vittoria model. So basically with the Yellow
Jersey deal, you're getting a 220TPI Vittoria at around 17 bucks a tire.

And to beat the other bike nerds to the punch, I'll admit that I forgot
high end conti's are made in Germany.

Old August 18th 05, 11:20 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:17:40 -0600, B wrote:

Hello:

I am looking for a good source for inexpensive 700C tubulars suitable
for training on relatively rough roads. I am a big rider (210) and would
prefer something more durable yet reasonably light weight.

At your weight, you are not going to do well on a cheap tubular even on
good roads. In my experience, cheap tubulars today are junk. People wax
poetic talking about the ride of good tubulars, but those will cost $50+
per tire, and still will not last well for a 200+ pound rider on rough
roads.

You'd do well to consider decent clinchers for this purpose. Save your
tubular wheels for racing.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"