can someone explain this freewheel remover?

Old December 14th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

Default can someone explain this freewheel remover?

A man in Kenya came up with this device. It seems to remove a
freewheel, but it doesn't appear to reach into the splines like you
would expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEeyY09YzEY#t=3m20

I don't understand his explanation. Can anyone speculate?

-pm
Old December 14th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

pm wrote:
A man in Kenya came up with this device. It seems to remove a
freewheel, but it doesn't appear to reach into the splines like you
would expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEeyY09YzEY#t=3m20

I don't understand his explanation. Can anyone speculate?

I have a vintage French made version, given to me long ago.
The big bolt on the outside deforms the freewheel body edge
enough to bind the freewheel which may then be spun off.
(I've never actually used it myself)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 14th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 14 Dic, 23:41, AMuzi wrote:
I have a vintage French made version, given to me long ago.
The big bolt on the outside deforms the freewheel body edge
enough to bind the freewheel which may then be spun off.
(I've never actually used it myself)

Would the device deform the body permanently, so as to trash it, or
spare it?

Sergio
Pisa
Old December 14th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

sergio wrote:
Would the device deform the body permanently, so as to trash it, or
spare it?

It was explained to me that you only need tighten enough to
make it not freewheel during removal. If you can imagine a
worn four speed freewheel with damaged notches, it seems a
reasonable approach. Alternate methods start with 'remove
axle'...

Old December 14th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 14 Dec, 22:54, sergio wrote:
On 14 Dic, 23:41, AMuzi wrote:

I have a vintage French made version, given to me long ago.
The big bolt on the outside deforms the freewheel body edge
enough to bind the freewheel which may then be spun off.
(I've never actually used it myself)

Would the device deform the body permanently, so as to trash it, or
spare it?

I'd guess the sprocket body is pushed outwards and acts like a strap
wrench around the cone. The deformation required is small and even if
there were permanent local deformoation (because of inadequate
hardening) it would likely be reduced by the unscrewing of the last
sprocket.
Old December 15th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

aaah I do that but with a cold chisel, 11 pound hammer, tubah4 blocks,
concrete wall and propane torch.

WTT: Suntour Freewheel Remover and chainring spanner tool for Custom Bicycle Book GMAN Marketplace 0 March 1st 07 02:05 AM
Wanted: 12 spline freewheel remover smaller than Park FR-1 bicycle6228 Techniques 4 August 22nd 06 10:05 PM
SRAM freewheel remover [email protected] Techniques 3 August 15th 05 02:13 AM
Oil remover Rob UK 7 July 23rd 05 07:07 PM
suntour 2 prong freewheel remover [email protected] Techniques 12 February 3rd 05 02:30 AM