Cyclic Navigator event (Victoria, Australia)

Old September 11th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

Default Cyclic Navigator event (Victoria, Australia)

A Cyclic Navigator event is being held in the Wombat Forest (Victoria,
Australia), on November 30, run by Vic MTB Orienteering
http://www.vicmtbo.com

You can enter as an individual or team, in either the 4 hour or 6 hour
event. Basically at the start of the event you are given a map of the
forest with 30 or so control points on it. The aim is to pass through
as many of the control points as you can within the given time. It's up
to each individual/team how best to navigate the forest, the order they
visit each control point. Can be anything from a hardcore race to a fun
day out.

I'm not involved in the event in any way, but pass advertising signs it
each day. I contacted the organizers this week and they are more than
happy for unicyclists to take part in it.

I live on the edge of the forest and ride most days, though in a
different area as it's over 70 000 hectares. Generally the forest
tracks run along ridges and are fast and gently undulating. The ridge
tracks are usually connected by steep tracks that pretty much run
directly up and down the face of the hills - lots of fun. I'm planning
on participating on my 29".

The site for the event isn't great but has all the info
http://www.mapsport.net.au/cyclicnavigator/index.html

--
lunicycle
Old September 14th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Barry_Clearwater

MT High - are you considering this? I note this thread didn't get a
single response.
Barry

--
Barry_Clearwater
Old September 14th 08, 07:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MT High

I've already booked myself in for the Great Vic bike ride, it starts on
the same weekend.

--
MT High
Old September 14th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Barry_Clearwater

I'm also booked into the Great Vic ride, so I guess that sorts that out
for both of us.
Barry

--
Barry_Clearwater
Old November 15th 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

Just a headsup that entries for the Cyclic Navigator close on November
24th, 25% discount for unicycles

Old December 4th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

The Cyclic Navigator held on the weekend was great fun!

Everyone was very welcoming of a unicyclist joining in, and the local
newspaper came out and did a story on it which turned out to be half the
back page, below. The weather was nice and cool and the six hours flew
by.

After a lot of indecision leading up to the day regarding what uni and
crank to use I rode the 6 hour event on my KH36 with 137mm cranks. About
85% of the route I chose was dirt, varying from dirt roads to dirt
tracks to singletrack. All up the choice of setup suited the terrain
pretty well, although the 36 did start to feel heavy after a few hours
off road.

I'd had a stomach bug the week leading up to it so took it fairly easy
on the day. I really enjoyed the 'race' format though as riders scurried
off in all directions on their own route through the forest trying to
find the small markers which were sometimes quite small and easy to
miss. It becomes a great puzzle as the 6 hour time limit approaches as
you want to reach as many checkpoints as you can but also need to make
it back to the start/finish line before the time expires.

It would be great to have a unicycle team for it next year!

I've booked in for a couple of Summer Series MTB Orienteering Races
held in the evenings in Dec/Jan which are more of a sprint format - 75
minutes to reach as many control points as you can, should be a hoot!
http://www.vicorienteering.asn.au/mt...MTBO_08-09.pdf

Kudos to the organisers for a great event and supporting uni!

|Filename: cyclic-advocate.jpg |

lunicycle
Old December 4th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerdog

Excellent work.What sort of distance did you cover.

--
dangerdog

once I was young and stupid....that was some time ago
Old December 7th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MT High

Good to see unicycling making the local press. How did you go in the
event?

--
MT High