Sydney to Wollongong 2008

Old September 22nd 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerlaef

Default Sydney to Wollongong 2008

Hi folks,

I ran into Geoff in Manly on Saturday, who spotted me wheeling my 29"
through the crowds.

He told me of a group of Unis riding in the Multiple Sclerosis
Australia charity ride on 2nd November.
http://www.msaustralia.org.au/gongride

I had planned to ride the short course (56km from Heathcote.)
Can we arrange to bump into each other en route?

I live in Manly, so if anyone is ever up for a little Manly Dam MUni,
drop me a PM

--
dangerlaef

Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia

'Some of my Skydiving' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQRf_Dhk9E)

'Some tame Aussie MUni' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFttvIzhNws)

Old September 24th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rollot

I might actually be able to join you guys! Depending on when I get my
visa I should be moving to Sydney mid to end October, and I will be
bringing my kh36 with me. I imagine this type of ride would be a
pretty good introduction to Australia!

Tomorrow I get my chest x-rays (Australia is terrified of tuberculosis
for some reason), and then I play the waiting game.

Anyway, hopefully I will be down under and supporting MS ... though I
don't know if I can do the 90km route ... and how do you get back to
Sydney afterwards anyway!!???

Tynan

--
rollot
Old September 24th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
napalm

I am keen to do the Syd-Gong ride as long as it does not clash with my
university exam timetable. If it is all clear i am keen to hit up the
90km option.
mark

--
napalm

you wont do it...your SCARED!
"We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
man made, like God"
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff
Old September 25th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerlaef

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm riding a 29" & expect to take around 8 hours for the ride,
including breaks.
So I was hoping to start early, perhaps 6 or 7am from Heathcote.

I think Geoff was hoping to have a geared 36" for the trip, & was
riding the full 86km. I expect he'll fly past me mid-morning.

If the speeds & starting points keep us apart, maybe we can meet up for
a coldy afterwards?

Old September 25th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nexty

Hey Laef!

There's a facebook event that i'm using to organize the ride here.
http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=39956783656

Join the Sydney Unicyclist team on the MS website:
http://register.gongride.org.au/?Sydney%20Unicyclists

I'd like to go the full 96km (hopefully florian will have my hub ready
by then) but have considered dropping down to do the 56km (or just
starting early) so we can ride as a group!

Def will be grabbing a beer or two once we make it down there.

Getting back is pretty easy, just jump on the train (unless you already
live in the gong [nudge UoW nudge!])

My ph/email details are on facebook.

Tynan; awesome news cya soon!

Geoff

--
nexty
Old October 29th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nexty

This is it folks, in five days Laeth and myself will be taking part in
the 2008 MS Gong Ride on our unicycles along with 11,623 other
bicyclists. Laeth will be doing the 56km option from Heathcote on his
fixed UDC 29" wheel and I will doing the full 84km on my fixed Nimbus
36inch wheel as my new schulmpf unicycle hub won't arrive in time
unfortunately.

Going the distance is one thing but getting down there in one piece is
the challenge, the Sydney to the Gong is known by some as the craziest
and most dangerous thing you can do on a bike, as descending into the
park at Waterfall and then down Bald Hill can be very hazardus. There
will be no overtaking roadies down from the summit of Kelly's Mountain
(Chuck) as there have been some serious casualties in previous years
events so we will be taking it extra easy for those two descents.

[image: http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7...ionmapxl5.jpg]

Getting 'back from the Gong to Sydney'
(http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1...ngtrainkr6.jpg) is almost
harder than getting down but the current plan is to visit a few local
pubs afterwards for a few drinks whilst the slowly trains clear out the
majority of the entrants.

So for anyone who can consider making a donation for MS, please 'click
here' (http://register.gongride.org.au/?Sydney+Unicyclists) to goto our
team page to contribute and for those who already have - THANKYOU.

Cheers, Geoff
[image:
http://photos-995.ll.facebook.com/ph...3561_4200.jpg]

--
nexty
Old October 29th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerdog

Good luck Nexty and Dangerlaef I hope you have a good ride.I feel like a
dirty stop out for not putting my hand up for the Gong ride but I have
my reasons.1/I have ridden the Gong four times on a bike and each time
it took longer to get home than it took to ride.2/With bikes being
crammed onto the trains it blocks off access to the toilet so re
hydrating is problematic.3/At Heathcote and Bald Hill riders are
marshalled and released behind a police car in large blocks causing
major congestion.4/The longest distance I have ridden on my relatively
new 36 is around 20km. 5/I hate crowds.

I am still up for a ride with you guys sometime but not this one.

--
dangerdog

once I was young and stupid....that was some time ago
Old November 3rd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerlaef

Mission accomplished..

I completed 56km through the Royal National Park's hilly terrain in 7
hours on a Nimbus 29"

Geoff rode the 90k course in 9 hours on his 36".. we think he is the
first unicyclist to ride the whole course.

It was amazing just how much positive feedback we got,
...apparently I am "a hero," "a legend" & to one bloke I was "a
hellman"

Woo hoo. Lots of fun..

& we raised $610 dollars between us for MS research.

Old November 3rd 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dangerdog

Fantastic achievement dangerlaef and nexty(Geoff).Congratulations