Why is the BBC giving space to this twit?

Old April 4th 04, 12:49 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Why is the BBC giving space to this twit?

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/3597917.stm

It's an article with heavy metion of Guy's favourite stupid arse.

I am moved to write to the BBC.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 4th 04, 01:25 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 04 Apr 2004 11:49:00 GMT, omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
:

I am moved to write to the BBC.

Do it. Tosser Sm*th needs to be rebutted at every appearance.

--
Guy
===

Old April 4th 04, 04:02 PM
Simon Mason

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/3597917.stm

It's an article with heavy metion of Guy's favourite stupid arse.

I am moved to write to the BBC.

My mate who is responsible for mobile speed camera siting in this area said
in no way are they for generating revenue. There are very strict guidelines
on their positions and their locations are published on the 'net and in
council offices and libraries, so they even *tell* drivers where they are
going to be in advance. If anyone is caught after these warnings then they
deserve all they get.

Simon M.

Old April 4th 04, 04:07 PM
Ian W

On 2004-04-04 12:49:00 +0100, omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) said:

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/3597917.stm

It's an article with heavy metion of Guy's favourite stupid arse.

"Group"? Ha. Lone nutter more like. I've written to the BBC - hope you
all do the same.
--
www.drianwalker.com

Remove the nice brown paste in my signature if you want to reply!

Old April 4th 04, 07:56 PM
Steve McGinty

On 04 Apr 2004 11:49:00 GMT, omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/3597917.stm

It's an article with heavy metion of Guy's favourite stupid arse.

I am moved to write to the BBC.

Cheers, helen s

**$o m$

For all his fans in here he's featured on Radio 5Live Weekend News
8.00pm to 10.00pm tonight...

Regards!
Stephen
Old April 4th 04, 09:08 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:58:47 +0100, anonymous coward
wrote in message
:

There being a debate, the BBC have to give both sides of the argument so it
seems to me the problem is that they are being drawn towards PS's site
rather than getting their soundbites from saner sources like the RAC or the
AA.

That would be because most of his claims are so risible that he's the
only one making them...

--
Guy
===

Old April 4th 04, 09:58 PM
anonymous coward

The title expresses my sentiments exactly, but on the other hand, why
shouldn't they? Heaven forbid the BBC only report from organisations with a
royal sanction.

PS has a plausible homepage, with his dafter claims hidden deep within the
bowels of his website and his statistical illiteracy and longstanding
grudge against his speeding fine only apparent through ancient rants on
google.co.uk/groups. Compare some of his claims to those we make that bike
helmets don't do any good or that seatbelts don't save lives - at first
sight his claims are no more against common sense than these are. I can
readily see how a rushed journalist might not give PS's site the scrutiny
it deserves. Besides, I think it needs a higher level of scientific skills
to debunk someone confidently than to grasp the thrust of an argument. Were
I a journalist I wouldn't be overly keen on censoring people _I_ thought
were cranky but may not be too sure about - Paul Smith has survived
censoring by journalistic peers at any rate. I'm starting to hear his
claims spouted more and more often, sometimes unattributed.

There being a debate, the BBC have to give both sides of the argument so it
seems to me the problem is that they are being drawn towards PS's site
rather than getting their soundbites from saner sources like the RAC or the
AA. Perhaps it would help if someone could create a website to illustrate
how far gone Paul Smith is - but I can't think who would match his level of
crazed manic energy. 'Fraid I'm busy at the moment and not that much energy
either.

AC

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/3597917.stm

It's an article with heavy metion of Guy's favourite stupid arse.

I am moved to write to the BBC.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched
off--

Old April 5th 04, 12:33 PM
Dave Kahn

Gonzalez wrote in message . ..

Inattention
Failure to judge other's path or speed
Looking but not seeing
Careless and reckless behaviour
Failure to look
Lack of judgement of own path
Excessive speed

====================

Is it just me, or can't those first six causes of accidents be grouped
as "inattention", making speed the second biggest accident cause?

Not only that but excessive speed makes the outcome of the first six
(or one) more severe.

--
Dave...
Old April 5th 04, 10:30 PM
Tim Woodall

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:48:13 +0100,
Gonzalez wrote:
snip

This must rate among the most unbalanced reports the BBC has ever
written.

====================

Inattention
Failure to judge other's path or speed
Looking but not seeing
Careless and reckless behaviour
Failure to look
Lack of judgement of own path
Excessive speed

====================

Is it just me, or can't those first six causes of accidents be grouped
as "inattention", making speed the second biggest accident cause?

You need to look at the report proper - from appendix B

(I've only skim read the report so I might have got this wrong but I
think it goes like this)

Precipitating Factors [1]

[1] What was the primary cause of the accident these should add
up to 100%

(I'll ignore the small ones 5%)

Failures of driver or rider
Failed to give way 14.6%
Failed to avoid vehicle or object in the carriage way 27.9%
Loss of control of vehicle 19.0%

failures of pedestrian or passenger
Pedestrian entered carriageway without due care (driver not to blame) 10.9%

Manoeuvres
Poor turn/manoeuvre 8.4%

Contributory factors [2]

[2] What may have contributed to the cause above:
More than one of these can be selected so they won't add up to 100%

Personal Details
Imparement - alcohol 6.6%
Behaviour - careless/thoughtless/reckless 18.4%
Behaviour - in a hurry 6.6%
Failure to judge other person's path or speed 22.6%
Failed to look 16.3%
Looked but did not see 19.7%
Inattention 25.8%

Driver Details
Excessive speed[3] 12.5%
Following too close 5.6%
Lack of judgement of own path 13.7%

Local conditions
Slippery road 8.2%

[3]There is some discussion and this will be changed to
"Excessive or inappropriate speed" because there was confusion whether
this was "speed in excess of the speedlimit" or "speed inappropriate to
conditions". Some officers treated it one way and some the other.

I'm not sure how to draw any conclusions from the Contributory factors
but from the Previpitating factors it would seem to me that being
unable to avoid a vehicle or object in the carriageway will usually
imply travelling too fast for the distance you can see to be clear
and loss of control of vehicle will often mean travelling too fast
for the conditions.

Tim.

and there was light.

Old April 5th 04, 10:35 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:30:33 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall
wrote in message
:

You need to look at the report proper - from appendix B

Oh, is this the old TRL thing again? They are very ****ed off with
the ABD claiming that this undermines theior other reports pinning the
balme on speeding for 1/3 fo crashes; AIUI the report is into
reporting methodologies more thasn crash causation and if you lump
together all the genral speed related items you get the usual 1/3.

--
Guy
===