Pedal axle transplant - 9/16" to 1/2" (and 1/2" pedalrecommedations)

Old August 10th 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_5_]

Default Pedal axle transplant - 9/16" to 1/2" (and 1/2" pedalrecommedations)

Is is largely possible to transplant a 9/16" with a half inch axle? (i.e.
Are axle cones and lengths reasonably standard between the 2 sizes, with
just the threaded part differing)

I found this online:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-501811.html

but having never encountered this pedal I don't know if the process is
peculiar to this brand/model.

Any similar success stories?

Any 1/2" pedal recommendations? I don't want aggressive bmx platforms but
neither do I want flats with rubber coated platforms. The principal
stipulation is that they're 'big enough'.
Old August 10th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 10, 1:11*am, Keiron wrote:
Is is largely possible to transplant a 9/16" with a half inch axle? (i.e.
Are axle cones and lengths reasonably standard between the 2 sizes, with
just the threaded part differing)

Often times, yes.

I found this online:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-501811.html

but having never encountered this pedal I don't know if the process is
peculiar to this brand/model.

Any similar success stories?

Modern Wellgos are swappable, but so cheap that it's a silly
endeavor.

Any 1/2" pedal recommendations? I don't want aggressive bmx platforms but
neither do I want flats with rubber coated platforms. The principal
stipulation is that they're 'big enough'.

D. and I have hipped to the Odyssey "Twisted" for casual and city
bikes. It's a quite unattractive BMX pedal--but not too aggro, and
very well shaped. For under fifteen bux, it's not a big investment if
you hate it.
Old August 10th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:11:55 +0000, Keiron wrote:

Is is largely possible to transplant a 9/16" with a half inch axle?
(i.e. Are axle cones and lengths reasonably standard between the 2
sizes, with just the threaded part differing)

I found this online:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-501811.html

but having never encountered this pedal I don't know if the process is
peculiar to this brand/model.

Any similar success stories?

Any 1/2" pedal recommendations? I don't want aggressive bmx platforms
but neither do I want flats with rubber coated platforms. The principal
stipulation is that they're 'big enough'.

I'm not familiar with platform pedals designed for bmx use.

The pedal in the article was described by Sheldon Brown: "The best known
platform pedal was the French Lyotard "Marcel Berthet" model 23, one of
the most elegantly designed bicycle parts ever." It's definitely worth
jumping hoops by cannibalizing other pedals to get a working pair of
these gems on one's road bike.

For more mundane models, I second Mr. landotter's advice to find a pedal
with the proper threading.

Stephen Bauman
Old August 10th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Stephen Bauman wrote:
:On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:11:55 +0000, Keiron wrote:

: Is is largely possible to transplant a 9/16" with a half inch axle?
: (i.e. Are axle cones and lengths reasonably standard between the 2
: sizes, with just the threaded part differing)
:
: I found this online:
:
[...]

That's the one that falls apart if you pedal on the wrong side?

--
sig 23
Old August 11th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Stephen Bauman wrote:
[...]

'Platform pedal' may have various meanings.

Trendy candy color platforms are big this year:
http://www.alansbmx.com/images/e-pc_pedal_03.jpg

or of course the staid old silver and black aluminum
versions. Big selection under $20 (to well past $100)

Having ridden many Lyotard #23TF and #23, I found the tops
of the aluminum sideplate stampings will wear through in
about 8~10 years of daily use, at which point the pedal
self-disassembles. Dust caps are only tenuously secured by a
fine poor fit thread and caps are amazingly difficult to
find now. A $15 Gitane on craigslist was the cheapest source
for my last cap.

Copies have been made, generally of much better quality,
once by SR-Sakae and now from White Industries but they lack
the svelte French aesthetic of thin stamped plates.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/