Bottle holder

Old May 26th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bottle holder

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:13:38 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2019 11:17:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/25/2019 10:14 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2019 05:33:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I find all this emotion about hose clamps to be a bit... well
amateurish. After all the aircraft I used to work on were full of hose
clamps and no one seemed to get injured. See
https://tinyurl.com/y5xmgp8t
https://tinyurl.com/y66v5o3u
https://tinyurl.com/yxrk5wps

Did anyone ride on top of the diesel or aircraft engines?
If they did, I suspect that the injury rate from hose clamp slashes
might be somewhat higher.

This guy carefully inspects all the hose clamps before he rides:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-walker-400753

Impressive. However, unlike a bicycle, there are no hose clamps
anywhere near the pilot or wing walker on such aircraft. These are
closer to what I was thinking:
https://images.megapixl.com/3080/30808373.jpg
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/woman-ride-airplane-young-riding-drawn-flying-air-56911002.jpg

Incidentally, in marine service, where corrosion of perforated hose
clamps can be a problem, double hose clamps and hose clamps without
thread slots are required:
https://pbase.com/mainecruising/double_hose_clamps
https://www.google.com/search?q=non+perforated+hose+clamps&tbm=isch
Also, the metallurgy of hose clamps can vary depending on source and
application. I've heard stories of, but never seen, two side-by-side
hole clamps, where one is severely corroded while the other is
unaffected.

One can purchase hose clamps ranging from unplated steel to stainless
strap to all stainless and a knowledgeable mariner will buy the all
stainless clamps as they simply do not corrode.

Again a problem of the inept blaming their problems on the clamp and
not the clamper :-)

Incidentally, a plastic screw head cover or plastic wings would have
prevented my 2nd accident involving a hose clamp:
https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-ydm181c/products/2417/images/9820/hose_clamp_stainless_steel_non_perforated_box_of_1 0_1__00063.1461005208.440.500.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=turn+key+hose+clamp&tbm=isch
Note the different styles available:
http://clampcoupling.com/1-non-perforated-hose-clamp/222291/

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/26/2019 4:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2019 15:04:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Speaking of not fashionable: Why did the once-fashionable handlebar
mounted cages become unfashionable? They look pretty convenient.
http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe..._Bottles_3.jpg
https://winefolly-wpengine.netdna-ss...share-wine.jpg

Handlebar mounted water bottles lost favor with fashionable cyclists
due to competition from other devices that are hung on the handlebars.
For example, electronic shifters, bell, megalumen lighting,
smartphones, map displays, bicycle computahs, paintball gun, rear view
mirror, dashboard camera, grocery basket, stem lock, dog repellent
spray can, condiments holder, etc. Since all of these sell for more
than the cost of a water bottle and cage, the marketing expenditures
tend to ignore water bottles, except when they're modified to hold
headlight batteries.

Speak for yourself.
The rest of us dumped our Coloral or TA HB cages for
downtube clamp-on models with paint-destroying steel bands
when PouPou, Anquetil and Eddy Merckx were in the magazines
with DT mounted cages.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 26th 19, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 26 May 2019 10:46:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2019 11:27:55 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/25/2019 10:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:38:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

Well, we could add a safety wire to the hose clamp:
"Safety Wire Those Worm Drive Clamps"
https://avidflyer.fandom.com/wiki/Sa...m_Drive_Clamps

But... but... wouldn't the end of the wire be kind of sharp?

It would be pointless if it weren't sharp.
(Sorry, but that was just too tempting).

As in brake and shifter cables, there are crimp on end caps to help
minimize the bleeding:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bicycle+cable+ends
When using safety wire, the twisted wires are commonly folded back on
themselves to avoid making a point. See photo #11:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/brakes/1408-how-to-safety-wire-your-bolts-tight/
Notice the drill jig for bolts that lack safety wire holes.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=safety+wire+drilling+jig
Soon, bicyclists everywhere will be drilling holes in their bolt heads
for safety wires. If this is all too complexicated, use Occam's
Razor. Carry a first aid kit and have your tetanus immunization shots
updated.

Actually any aircraft mechanic, worth his salt, will twist the ends of
the safety wire in a manner as to prevent others getting snagged on
it. See https://tinyurl.com/y4x6rgxk

Apparently others have already been there and solved the problems :-)

P.S. that is one of the things that aircraft inspectors look for :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:46:08 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:58:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The is some sort of theory, "Occam's Razor" I believe, that says that
the simplest solution is likely to be correct ?

Occam had over-simplified. It all depends on the definition of
"solution". The consensus is that a solution solves a problem. Other
possible solutions are "make the complaining stop", "promotes revenue
enhancement", "creates a suitable diversion", "minimizes side
effects", and many other possible "solutions". Depending on one's
priorities, your problem may not be the same as mine, and your
solution may not be as simple for you as it might be for me. All that
is why the original Occam's Razor included the word "likely" which
suggests that the simplest solution is not always the optimum
solution.

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".

Yeah, that's another possible criteria. Collateral damage from
intended solutions is an all too common problem that often requires
additional simplistic solutions. It never ends. The nice thing about
complicated solutions is that there's far more "wiggle room" to adapt
to changes, deal with unanticipated surprises, and recover from
screwups.

Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

They won't fit in my pockets, it's not fashionable, and my body heat
warms the bottles too much. It's also difficult to remove the bottle
for a drink and then replace it later. It may be a simple solution,
but it's not effective or even useful.

You are simply inventing excuses :-)

I wonder how the bicycle rides when they're full?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/oddities/empty-water-bottles.jpg

They don't ride the "bicycle" with full bottles. They are
impoverished, not stupid :-)

and it isn't a "bicycle" anyway, it is a "Tricycle" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

It's a TRICYCLE not a bicycle. LOL VEBG

Looking at images of Asians and their bicycles it's pretty amazing how much some of them can carry on their bicycles.

Cheers

If it is all you got then you make do, or go without.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 May 2019 14:17:51 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Handlebar mounted water bottles lost favor with fashionable cyclists
due to competition from other devices that are hung on the handlebars.

(...)

What to do if you run out of space on your handlebars:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar2.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar3.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.php
Might be some room left for water bottles.

More on Rivnuts:
http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-178.html
Frame failed at water bottle boss. This is an aluminum frame
with a crimp-in "Riv-Nut"-style threaded boss. The frame is drilled
and the boss installed; the hole slightly weakens the frame and
the crimping creates some local stresses. A typical alternative
is to weld in a boss. In some cases, the weakening and stress-riser
effects of welding and of the boss section may weaken the frame
more than drilling a hole and using a Riv-Nut.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 26th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 26 May 2019 10:11:47 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2019 13:18:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2019 21:13:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2019 15:22:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But sharpening drills
is just two passes across the grinding wheel and a chain saw has a
multitude of teeth :-)

Sharpening chain saw cutters is much easier than sharpening a drill
bit. I have enough chain saws and spare chains that knowing how to
sharpen the chains is an economic requirement.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/chainsaw/chain-saws-02.jpg
(I no longer own the 3 Homelite EZ saws in the first two rows).
Sharpening chains is mostly a matter of knowing how to use a file
guide, doing symmetrical cuts from both sides of the bar, and
occasionally using the depth gauge to check raker height. I have a
fancy guide:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308557_200308557
but prefer a simple file guide:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oregon-3-16-in-File-Guide-with-File-25896/307730637
I find chain saw sharpening much easier than drill bit sharpening.

My father's older brother was crippled - had polio when he was a
senior in high school. Being a typical New England family he expected
to work and because he couldn't get around he started filing saws -
this was back in the days when carpenters used hand saws - and I
remember him filing one tooth at a time until he worked all the way
down the saw blade and then flipping the saw in the vise and starting
back. I asked him once about some sort of grinding machine and he said
that yes, he had tried that but hand filing was better.

I don't expect that you can get that sort of hand work in the U.S. any
more... nor over here either.

Probably still being done in very rural areas, but not in the cities.
However, there's hope. There are many videos on YouTube demonstrating
how to sharpen rip and crosscut saws by hand:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharpen+hand+saw

Well just looking at the pictures the first two selections are wrong
:-) and it is probably a sign of old age but multiple youtube movies
to show the initiated how to do something that should be almost
intuitive, or at least intuitive as soon as one examined the cutting
edge of a wood saw.

Way back in the early 1960's, we had a "knife sharpener" make the
rounds of the factories in downtown Smog Angeles offering to sharpen
anything that might need sharpening. I don't recall if that included
saws, but I suspect he would sharpen one if asked. My father owned a
lingerie factory and this sharpener would do all his scissors, raffle
cutters, drills, etc. He had an amazing push cart that was literally
crammed full of hand tools or all types. I wish I had photos. No
electricity was used. All his grinding wheels were hand or foot
powered. Something like this but bigger and with cabinets full of
hand tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GD0snLGV-Q
https://www.google.com/search?q=knife+sharpening+push+cart&bm=isch
He had various polishing stones for hand sharpening. Most everything
was done by hand which produced perfect edges (depending on
application). I didn't really appreciate the skills involved until I
later tried to sharpen a few things myself.

There used to be an old fellow that came around on a bicycle
sharpening knives, etc. He is long gone now but he had rigged up his
bicycle with a grinding wheel mounted above the rear wheel and by
putting the bike up on its stand and lowering the grinding wheel
attachment he could pedal the bike standing beside it and have a high
speed grinder.

But there is still a bloke with a little hole in the wall shop "down
the road a ways" that sharpens things. He is apparently doing pretty
well as the last time my wife took some stuff to get sharpened it took
several days to be ready.

However, that's now why I sharpen my chain saw cutters by hand. It's
because I've found that it takes much longer to setup the a jig or
grinder for chain sharpening than to do it by hand with a file guide.
It takes me about 10 minutes to clean up a typical chain on the saw.
Or, I could spend 10 minutes getting setup, 10 minutes sharpening one
chain, and 5 minutes cleaning up the equipment. Add another 5 minutes
if I have to remove and replace the chain.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

Cages? I don't need no stink'n cages! https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/c...e-bottle-25322

-- Domestique

Old May 26th 19, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sun, 26 May 2019 10:23:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2019 12:59:25 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Years ago my wife fixed me a bunch of sausages. Unfortunately one had
a piece of bone, or something hard, in it and when I bit down on it a
tooth broke. I haven't eaten a sausage since :-(

Years ago, I worked for an electronics company near the San Jose
airport. Nearby was the Neto Sausage Company:
http://www.netosausage.com
I did some work for them and given a tour of the factory to see how
sausage is made. After seeing and smelling how it's made, I decided
that I didn't like sausage. However, I eventually broke down and
snuck in some kielbasa (Polish sausage) mostly because I had grown up
eating it and it appeared at almost all the family events and was
therefore far too tempting.

I've got a brother-in-law that owns a sausage factory and as you say,
all you need to do is visit the place once to put you off sausage for
ever :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Handlebar mounted water bottles lost favor with fashionable cyclists
due to competition from other devices that are hung on the handlebars.

(...)

What to do if you run out of space on your handlebars:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar2.jpg
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar3.jpg

I don't see a reason you couldn't "daisy chain" these things. Fit one
after another, cascading all the way down to the front wheel. Or
actually, front fender, because such a bike would certainly have fenders.

Then you could easily mount a front water bottle cage - or a few!

--
- Frank Krygowski