AUS unicyclist attempts frontflip.

Old November 11th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Default AUS unicyclist attempts frontflip.

zogola;1129007 wrote:
I'm sorry but that has to be one of the most idiotic statements I've
ever read. Wearing a helmet won't protect your neck or back, but it will
protect your BRAIN! Tumblers and acrobats are doing controlled rolls
onto padded surfaces, you can't compare the two.

Kurt

Yeah, cause we need our brain protected when our necks snap and we die.

Dont start calling statements idiotic because you do not agree with
them. Specially when you dont give a good reason to do such a thing

The posts you quoted were fine anyways, the first one made a valid
point that even while wearing a helmet, that doesnt mean your just safe
and perfect. While doing flips, that last thing I think of hurting is my
head, usually its the neck, and spine I need to worry about. And that
goes a long with the 2nd post you quoted. So if you land on your spine,
and now are paralyzed for the rest of your life, thats ok? Its idiotic
to mention protection for other parts of your body yeah? Its just the
great and all powerful brain that needs to be protected? Who cares if
other bones and limbs break, its just idiotic to even mention that
stuff.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
Old November 11th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zogola

Harper,

I don't care if someone wears a helmet or not. Their choice. They
deal with the consequences, if there are any. The two posts I referred
to imply that wearing a helmet is a useless notion. That is idiotic.
Do you want to argue that point?

Kurt

--
zogola
Old November 11th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Seager

Can the helmet people just put it in their sig so they can quit ruining
threads? That way we always know it's their opinion and they can keep
posting it.

I agree with them that helmets area good thing, but disagree that is
must be posted everytime time a picture of someone without a helmet is
posted. Throw it in your sig and then forever hold your peace. We'll
know your opinion. Same with anti-helmet people.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Old November 11th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

seager;1129052 wrote:
can the helmet people just put it in their sig so they can quit ruining
threads? That way we always know it's their opinion and they can keep
posting it.

I agree with them that helmets area good thing, but disagree that is
must be posted everytime time a picture of someone without a helmet is
posted. Throw it in your sig and then forever hold your peace. We'll
know your opinion. Same with anti-helmet people.

Amen to that!

Cool shots guys, looks like it was a great day!

--
lunicycle
Old November 11th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zogola

Seager,

Interesting idea. As you can see, I've added the suggested statement.
Jerrick and Harper jumped me for stating the obvious. It is better to
protect your brain than to not protect your brain. If everyone would go
back and read my posts carefully they would see that I never called a
poster an idiot, nor would I ever do so. I called their *posts*
"idiotic", and I stand by that. I've made many idiotic posts in my day,
and I'm sure I'll make many more. I choose my words carefully,
sometimes not as carefully as I should, but carefully just the same.

For the record, I never made ANY statement about the guy who did the
front flip. I'm impressed with his guts, and I'd never make a comment
about whether he should or should not have worn a helmet (his choice, as
I stated in my post).

If my stance isn't clear, lets argue in a PM. I love a good argument!

Kurt

--
zogola
Old November 11th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

zogola;1129059 wrote:
Seager,

Interesting idea. As you can see, I've added the suggested statement.
Jerrick and Harper jumped me for stating the obvious.

Kurt

I "Jumped" you for calling the obvious idiotic.

There is nothing to argue here though, unless you want to argue that
even with a helmet you can still be heavily injured. Or if you want to
continue and say that protecting other parts of your body is idiotic.
But if you do, bring it on, and be prepared to lose, cause youll be
trying to argue against facts that are just as obvious as "Wearing a
helmet protects your head/brain."

Anyways, great attempt and great pictures.
Seems like the frontflip is something that will take a lot more
guts then actually skill(A lot of skill though. See, now you cant quote

that and be like "What?! Are you saying it takes no skill to do a flip?

Cause blah blah...). I however, am a chicken when it comes to it,
and since my big thick foam mat has been taken away,
wont be practicing it.

Old November 11th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

harper;1128660 wrote:
I'm looking forward to the first back flip attempt. I still think it
would have to be easier.

I don't think so, based on two bits of information, neither of which are
me trying it. First, I haven't seen anyone trying it yet, and the guy
gutsy enough to do this stuff probably have some idea what they're
doing. Second has to do with the mechanics of the body. If you've seen a
video clip of one of these flips, you can see the tremendous amount of
force the rider has to use, basically in a downward direction, with his
upper body to carry the weight of the unicycle up and around to get it
under him.

In a backflip, I think you get a lot more mechanical action from
compressing and exploding your legs while you (basically) start to go
over backwards. Then you can tuck, if possible, and straighten out at
the end to slow you down a bit. The mechanics are different with the
unicycle under you, which is not just extra weight, but weight that's
further from your center of mass so it takes even more work to flip it
around you.

As for helmets, if people want to debate that again please revive one
of the existing threads, which will save everyone a lot of typing.
Obviously Austraila has a different cultural approach to helmets than
many "western" countries. Or that competition was just organized by a
bunch of kids with no care for liability, but I think the former.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old November 11th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kidmuni

johnfoss;1129078 wrote:

As for helmets, if people want to debate that again please revive one
of the existing threads, which will save everyone a lot of typing.
Obviously Austraila has a different cultural approach to helmets than
many "western" countries. Or that competition was just organized by a
bunch of kids with no care for liability, but I think the former.

I don't think we have a different approach,
All the bike trial riders were wearing helmets.

--
kidmuni

*Buy Koxx-one Unicycles, parts, and accessories for the first time in
Australia! - * www.unicycle.com.au
Old November 11th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
padst3r

kidmuni;1128905 wrote:
The bike trial riders had helmets

Bike trials riders are sensible .Didnt you say you were going to get
some of the demo on film ?

--
padst3r

'My Videos' (http://www.youtube.com/padst3r)
Proud member of the Team Nelson Unicyclists
*)---', 6ft Static Gap
Old November 11th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Has anybody noticed that they're all wearing Summer clothes and it's
almost Winter?

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com