re-shinying chrome forks

Old December 7th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default re-shinying chrome forks

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

Unless it was exposed to sulphuric acid (acid rain?) the rust spots
might suggest shoddy plating, the rust spots are exposed steel that
will allways be vulnerable to future corrosion unless regularly wax
polished or rust inhibitor treated (usually unsightly).

I suspect the marks are where stones &c have hit it, but yes, I suspect
shoddy plating.

Stripped and re-plated by a reputable plater is easier in the long run
if a little pricey in the short term.

I will have a go at that: I know (people who know) places which will
replace bits for vintae cars, & they can probably do the forks (I could
have them done in nickel in fact, which would be pretty cool looking I
think).

Thanks to other responders: I'll have a go at polishing before giving up.

RHODIUM
Old December 7th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

double ought steel wool and Simichrome ?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&h...w=1152&bih=614

a brief search for MB chrome paint failed but there's a touting hi end
site on the page
Old December 7th 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

Unless it was exposed to sulphuric acid (acid rain?) the rust spots
might suggest shoddy plating, the rust spots are exposed steel that
will allways be vulnerable to future corrosion unless regularly wax
polished or rust inhibitor treated (usually unsightly).

I suspect the marks are where stones &c have hit it, but yes, I suspect
shoddy plating.

Stripped and re-plated by a reputable plater is easier in the long run
if a little pricey in the short term.

I will have a go at that: I know (people who know) places which will
replace bits for vintae cars, & they can probably do the forks (I could
have them done in nickel in fact, which would be pretty cool looking I
think).

Thanks to other responders: I'll have a go at polishing before giving up.

RHODIUM

Start he
http://elitechoice.org/2011/11/13/wo...icycle-saddle/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 7th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

[...]

* Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

There was not a single listing on that elitechoice.org site that
didn't make me want to punch someone. Especially the kid in the
Mercedes pedalcar.
Old December 7th 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tim Bradshaw wrote:
I will have a go at that: I know (people who know) places which will
replace bits for vintae cars, & they can probably do the forks (I could
have them done in nickel in fact, which would be pretty cool looking I
think).
Thanks to other responders: I'll have a go at polishing before giving up.

kolldata wrote:
RHODIUM

Hank wrote:
There was not a single listing on that elitechoice.org site that
didn't make me want to punch someone. Especially the kid in the
Mercedes pedalcar.

Yeah, OK, but there's one compelling thing in its favor:
Came up first searching for 'rhodium bicycle'

Old December 8th 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m Sherm@n

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

Unless it was exposed to sulphuric acid (acid rain?) the rust spots might
suggest shoddy plating, the rust spots are exposed steel that will
allways be vulnerable to future corrosion unless regularly wax polished
or rust inhibitor treated (usually unsightly).

I suspect the marks are where stones&c have hit it, but yes, I suspect
shoddy plating.

Flash chroming is common on motorcycle fork stanchions because thick plating
would cause an interference fit in the fork bushes, the plating lasts a
while as high as the oil seal travels but above that rust is a constant
problem.

Stripped and re-plated by a reputable plater is easier in the long run if
a little pricey in the short term.

I will have a go at that: I know (people who know) places which will
replace bits for vintae cars,& they can probably do the forks (I could
have them done in nickel in fact, which would be pretty cool looking I
think).

Properly applied& polished nickel has a deep lustre.

I had a nickel plated bicycle that developed quite a few pinhole rust spots.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 8th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m Sherm@n

On 12/7/2011 2:06 PM, Hank wrote:
On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

[...]

Where are Comrades Lenin and Mao when you need them?

Old December 8th 11, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 2011-12-06 20:55:09 +0000, Ian Field said:

[...]

Yes, I believe that story..
Old December 26th 11, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Dec 7, 7:55*am, DougC wrote:
On 12/6/2011 2:44 PM, Tim Bradshaw wrote:

I have an early-90s Pinarello which has chrome-plated forks. Due to idiocy
it spent 5 years in a somewhat damp environment and the forks are now
covered with rust spots. *I'd planned to just replace them with carbon
forks, but I'm now minded to try and preserve the retro-nature of it all.
Is here anything I can do, short of getting them replated, which will
restore their appearance?

One easy & common "quickie" method is to buff the spots with a wad of
aluminum foil. The foil is softer than the steel and crome plating, but
will still knock all the rust off.

This still leaves holes in the chrome though, and if it gets wet all
those spots will begin rusting anew. Stripping & re-chroming is the only
total solution.

I'm late to the party, but aluminum foil and Coke works surprisingly
well to polish up chrome. I had the same situation on my Moser, with
a lot of little rust spots, and now the chrome is totally "six foot
presentable".
http://www.instructables.com/id/Chro...busters-Style/

Rinse off the Coke, dry, and then wax and you'll have a nice shine
that'll last.