Shimano br-r550 cantilevers - what a drag!

Old December 13th 11, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

Default Shimano br-r550 cantilevers - what a drag!

On Dec 9, 10:02*am, AMuzi wrote:
JG wrote:
I decided my vintage MAFAC's needed an update and the Shimano BR-
R550's looked like the ticket. *Beautifully polished, and the cables
all tuck neatly. *So I picked up a pair in great condition with
KoolStop pads off of eBay, and...
Argh! they will fit which was my big worry, but there's no way the
spring will put any tension on the calipers and I only have one hole
in my vintage bosses...They are utterly useless and I suspect the new
models won't work with the traditional dimensions either...
JG

I'm not sure I understand but modern Shimano cantilevers
observe Mafac's classic mounting dimensions and work quite
well. Modern designs assume teflon lined casings and so have
a softer return spring.

*SNIP*

Modern designs also assume a return spring in the lever.
Old December 13th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Hank wrote:
On Dec 9, 10:02 am, wrote:
JG wrote:
I decided my vintage MAFAC's needed an update and the Shimano BR-
R550's looked like the ticket. Beautifully polished, and the cables
all tuck neatly. So I picked up a pair in great condition with
KoolStop pads off of eBay, and...
Argh! they will fit which was my big worry, but there's no way the
spring will put any tension on the calipers and I only have one hole
in my vintage bosses...They are utterly useless and I suspect the new
models won't work with the traditional dimensions either...
JG

I'm not sure I understand but modern Shimano cantilevers
observe Mafac's classic mounting dimensions and work quite
well. Modern designs assume teflon lined casings and so have
a softer return spring.

*SNIP*

Modern designs also assume a return spring in the lever.

True, and that helps much more than people might think.

--
- Frank Krygowski

WTB: Shimano Model BR-R550 Cantilever Brakeset (frt & rear) [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 29th 05 07:48 AM
[wheels] Shimano WH-R550 - good deal? le-sheq Techniques 41 September 7th 05 05:38 AM
FS: Shimano WH-R550 Wheels Paul UK 0 June 16th 05 09:35 PM
Shimano WH-R550 question Branimir Putnikovic Techniques 6 May 5th 05 06:58 AM
Shimano Cantilever question (BR-R550) Derk Techniques 16 December 23rd 04 04:15 AM