Bike Shopping

Old September 19th 05, 01:03 PM
Mark

Default Bike Shopping

Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the Boroondara
area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

Thanks.

Old September 19th 05, 01:26 PM
dave

Mark wrote:
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the Boroondara
area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

Thanks.

Freedom Machine in Chapel St sold me my OCR zero (refer prev posts for
raving...) Haven´t been back for service yet, but all presales very
professional.
Also, bought original hybrid from Ivanhoe Cycles - again, very
professional and helpful. Kathy
Old September 19th 05, 11:23 PM
flyingdutch

Mark Wrote:
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right
bike
and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the
Boroondara
area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like
Giant
are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

Thanks.

Here's a list:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/pages/shops.htm

(PS cone and join the BUG. get all the latest local goss... )

TimC has had good experiences at GoldCross
BikePRo are very competitive price-wise (altho different brands but
value)
(as is Lawrencia, especially GIANTs but reports on service are not
high)
Dean At BikeLife gives great service from all reports

enjoy!

let us know how you get on

Flying"BoroondaraBUGmember"Dutch

--
flyingdutch

Old September 20th 05, 01:12 AM
Bleve

Mark wrote:
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the Boroondara
area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

I'm a very happy customer of Cycle Science in Mitcham. I've bought
6 bikes from them so far, and I keep going back. They're not
a Giant dealer (but some may say that's a feature )

Old September 20th 05, 02:49 AM
Walrus

Mark Wrote:
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right
bike
and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the
Boroondara
area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like
Giant
are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

Thanks.I can vouch for Freedom Machine in Port Melbourne. I had good pre sales

assistance, they did a great deal for me and have enjoyed 2 or 3 free
services since I purchased (free 12 month servicing is pretty
standard). Closer to your area, Lawrencia Cycles on Glenferrie
('www.lawrenciacycles.com.au' (http://www.lawrenciacycles.com.au)) seem
pretty good. They're really boosting their range and would be
convenient for you for servicing.

If you're after a Giant, *DO NOT* go to CBD Cycles (top of Bourke St).
I went there while I was looking for my bike and on 3 occasions had 3
different sales guys spin some absolute BS about the bikes I was
looking at. Also, they categorically state that they won't budge on
price, but get this...they will do you a good deal on aftermarket
upgrades...whoopdeedoo! They also refused to let me test ride
anything, unless I came there on a Saturday morning for half an
hour...just too difficult.

Considering you can get Gian'ts at almost any shop, you'll be able to
get a great deal.

--
Walrus

Old September 20th 05, 03:28 AM
Bean Long

No longer in Melbourne but looking at a Giant myself (see previous
postings). I've heard that I should steer clear of the LBS that's selling
it but it's the best price in town. I'll be going to another LBS for
servicing. Something to consider.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Old September 22nd 05, 10:23 PM
MikeyOz

Mark Wrote:
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right
bike
and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the
Boroondara
area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like
Giant
are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

Thanks.

Bought my first bike from Freedom Machine in Chapel Street, but I dont
think they are there anymore are they ?? or have they rebadged Spin
Cycle ? Brother and I went to their store in Port Melbourne last
weekend, and they had very good pre-sales and were happy for him to
take any bike out for a ride.

Went to Swim Bike Run, but cant say I was overly impressed with the guy
we talked to... he had a lot to say... but not much that was helpful....
such a shame.

I have enough trouble getting good service in CBD just buying
accessories, Id never buy a bike from there. Ivanhoe cycles!
sensational service from them, I felt really bad because they did not
have the bike I ended up wanting to buy, but because he was so helpful,
I almost ended up buying a different brand of bike!! Totally recommend
them.

--
MikeyOz

Old September 23rd 05, 07:31 AM
dave

MikeyOz wrote:
Mark Wrote:

[...]

Freedom Machine definitely still in Chapel St - in old Spin Cycle
premises. Second everything else you said. Also great service at Bike
Life in Auburn - small stock but sensational mechanics
Old September 23rd 05, 08:06 AM
MikeyOz

dave Wrote:
MikeyOz wrote:
Mark Wrote:

[...]

forgot about Bike Life... yep.. very friendly helpful guys.... a

--
MikeyOz

Old September 23rd 05, 08:26 AM
Jono L

Consider a trek 1400 for around $2000, very solid bike.

--
Jono L

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM