Driver who brake-checked London cyclist warned for assault

Old February 18th 20, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Driver who brake-checked London cyclist warned for assault

Assault does not have to be a physical attack.
QUOTE:
The Metropolitan Police have issued a warning for assault to a private hire vehicle driver who repeatedly brake-checked a London cyclist as well as slowing down and swerving in front of him and telling him “You’re going to get it.”

Helmetcam user CycleGaz posted footage of the incident, which happened on Regent’s Street, to YouTube together with an account of what had happened.

He wrote: “I'm disappointed I missed his indication. 999/1000 I would see that indication, slow down and move over to the right to overtake them as they take the corner. I do this because if pedestrians are crossing at the turning then it would slow me down even more I waited behind the turning car. I also don't want to go up the inside and potentially get caught against the pavement or behind another vehicle stuck turning because of pedestrians crossing.

“The Traffic unit decided to pass this on as assault. ++++ Assault in UK law does not include actual physical harm, just the fear of it++++ (EMPHASIS MINE). So by him brake checking me, swerving in front of me, slowing down in front of me and saying "you're going to get it" makes this assault, as I called out in the video.

“In this case his reaction of brake checking me is likely because he is a poor driver and wasn't aware of me being there (despite a very good quality front light that you can see reflecting off the signs). My reaction to that was to hit the side of his car very hard with my hand, to that he reacted by cutting in front of me and braking, forcing myself and several other cyclists to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

“And his words ‘You're going to get it’ I decided that a warning was the best course of action. I was speaking to the officer investigating this case for several weeks, he kept me updated on what was going on and where his lines of investigation where going (he first had to identify the driver).

“The driver admitted guilt, is extremely sorry for this and says it is out of his usual character. The man isn't known to the police, so this is likely true.

“I was informed that if he had denied everything or had a funny attitude with the police, the option of a warning wouldn't be on the table.

“I feel that we can and we both have learned from this situation. I'm posting this video so that hopefully at least a few others can learn from it as well.”

https://road.cc/content/news/271231-...-dumoulins-gut
Old February 18th 20, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 11:39 18 Feb 2020, Simon Mason wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/271231-...river-who-brak
e-checked-london-cyclist-dumoulins-gut

Strange how CycleGaz keeps telling the motorist "Leave me alone" when similar
militant cyclists won't leave motorists alone in traffic who have offended
them but pursue them.

It's a wonder CycleGaz hasn't had a serious accident to end his cycling days.
His discussion on Reddit shows he's prone to missing a series of four car
indicator flashes (was he even looking at the road?) and yet at the same time
demands a motorist constantly check the rear view mirror for his presence.

Maybe he has a personality problem in which he always sees himself as doing
right?

https://www.reddit.com/user/cyclegaz/
Old February 19th 20, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 18/02/2020 13:53, Pamela wrote:
On 11:39 18 Feb 2020, Simon Mason wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/271231-...river-who-brak
e-checked-london-cyclist-dumoulins-gut

Strange how CycleGaz keeps telling the motorist "Leave me alone" when similar
militant cyclists won't leave motorists alone in traffic who have offended
them but pursue them.

It's a wonder CycleGaz hasn't had a serious accident to end his cycling days.
His discussion on Reddit shows he's prone to missing a series of four car
indicator flashes (was he even looking at the road?) and yet at the same time
demands a motorist constantly check the rear view mirror for his presence.

Maybe he has a personality problem in which he always sees himself as doing
right?

https://www.reddit.com/user/cyclegaz/

He wouldn't be the only cyclist to display such tendencies.
Old February 19th 20, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 1:53:19 PM UTC, Pamela wrote:
On 11:39 18 Feb 2020, Simon Mason wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/271231-...river-who-brak
e-checked-london-cyclist-dumoulins-gut

Strange how CycleGaz keeps telling the motorist "Leave me alone" when similar
militant cyclists won't leave motorists alone in traffic who have offended
them but pursue them.

It's a wonder CycleGaz hasn't had a serious accident to end his cycling days.
His discussion on Reddit shows he's prone to missing a series of four car
indicator flashes (was he even looking at the road?) and yet at the same time
demands a motorist constantly check the rear view mirror for his presence.

Maybe he has a personality problem in which he always sees himself as doing
right?

https://www.reddit.com/user/cyclegaz/

Odd how the police warned the driver for assault then.