UK: River and canal-side incident reporting

Old April 27th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default UK: River and canal-side incident reporting

This is a press release from the Cycle Touring Club that may be of
interest for many riders.

British Waterways appeals to cyclists

CTC today welcomed a move by British Waterways to involve cyclists in
making the waterway network safer. British Waterways has always asked
waterways users to report any incident, accident or ‘near miss’ they
experience, but recognising the rise in popularity of cycling, they are
particularly encouraging cyclists to report any incidents they
encounter.

Using a simple form available on their website at
www.britishwaterways.co.uk/incidents, cyclists can let British
Waterways know of any problems they encounter, and the information
should help to make canals and other waterways safer and more pleasant
places to be. Forms can also be obtained by making a quick call to
British Waterways’ Customer Service Centre on 01923 201120.

CTC Off-Road Campaigner Richard George said, “The number of ‘off-road’
cyclists is growing every year, as more and more people recognise the
benefits and enjoyment of getting out on their bikes. We often witness
incidents in our travels, but until now there has not been any easy way
of feeding that information back. Thanks to British Waterways, we can
quickly report any problems we encounter, and in doing so, help make
canals and waterways safer for everyone.”

--
mikepenton
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Old April 28th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default River and canal-side incident reporting

"mikepenton" om wrote in
message
news:3a7522e827fc8c814139bbe0926ca769.26x6k1@NoEma il.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com...

I was riding along the Rochdale canal a few days ago at lunchtime, and
noticed a sign that said cyclists require a licence to cycle along the canal
towpath. It probably also applies to unicyclists. It appears to be free,
so any idea what is it for?

Nao

Old April 28th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Naomi wrote:
I was riding along the Rochdale canal a few days ago at lunchtime, and
noticed a sign that said cyclists require a licence to cycle along the
canal towpath. It probably also applies to unicyclists. It appears
to be free, so any idea what is it for?

It all started in the early 90s. ISTR reports that BW were keen to
restrict cycling on certain sections of towpath. At that time the
permits were laminated tags that were supposed to be hung on your
handlebar. I had one, but I stopped carrying it because it was a PITA.

I remember coming across such a sign in 1998 when touring without my
permit. I asked a lockkeeper where I could acquire a permit, and he
told me not to worry about it.

Not long after that, I read about plans to charge for the permits.
This was, of course, challenged by CTC. I think there was some legal
reason why they were unable to charge in the end, but I can't remember
what it was.

The permits have been available to download for years now:
http://www.waterscape.com/cycling/

It's a tiny piece of paper (or it was last time I downloaded it,
anyway), so I keep one in my wallet just in case I'm ever asked for it.
It might be useful if I'm ever challenged by some rambler whinging:
"oi, bikes shouldn't be here".

I think ultimately the idea is to encourage cyclists to read and follow
the Waterways Code. If you apply by post then they'll also send you a
copy of the code, and if you download the permit then the terms and
conditions state that you are agreeing to follow the code.

--
Danny Colyer

http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Subscribe to PlusNet http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637

Old April 28th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Naomi wrote:
"mikepenton" om wrote
in
message
news:3a7522e827fc8c814139bbe0926ca769.26x6k1@NoEma il.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com...

I was riding along the Rochdale canal a few days ago at lunchtime, and
noticed a sign that said cyclists require a licence to cycle along the
canal
towpath. It probably also applies to unicyclists. It appears to be
free,
so any idea what is it for?

Nao

I believe that it's so that BW can, in principle, retain the right to
stop individuals using the towpath. Most towpaths are *not* public
rights of way. BW, however, do (usually) make noises about encouraging
(responsible) users of the paths.

Martin/

--
martin.phillips
martin.phillips's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11421

Ride Report: Ottawa-Montreal-Ottawa via Gatineau River Valley, P'titTrain du Nord, Ottawa River Valley Richard Rodgers Rides 1 August 27th 05 09:27 PM
Canal knowledge Mikefule Unicycling 22 August 23rd 05 05:09 PM
Canal Path Cycling Cliff UK 5 December 15th 03 12:43 PM