Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

Old September 18th 18, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

Cyclist death toll is mainly due to drivers, so change the road laws and
culture

'THERE’S a glaring problem on our roads that is killing countless
Australians. And it’s only getting worse'.

cyclist deaths in particular remain stubbornly high, even as average
speeds, which affect road deaths, continue to decline. If cars are much
safer than 25 years ago, why are cyclist deaths increasing, from 25 the
previous year to 45 this past year?

Of the untimely road deaths the AAA reports, 1100 are due to how drivers
were driving. In Australia, drivers are to blame for at least 79 per
cent of accidents with cyclists. And roughly 85 per cent of reported
cyclist casualty crashes involve another vehicle, not a bike or a
pedestrian. Driver distraction accounts for roughly 25 per cent of
accidents.

These stats highlight a clear pattern of deadly harm: drivers hitting
people, because of how they’re driving, is 90 per cent of the problem on
our roads.

https://www.news.com.au/national/cyc...301cfcb2a9e1ed
--
Bod
Old September 18th 18, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 9/18/18 7:46 PM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Of course the Mandatory Bike Helmet Law has something to do with the
fact that bicyclist deaths remain stubbornly high.
Old September 18th 18, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 18/09/2018 09:30, Peter Keller wrote:
On 9/18/18 7:46 PM, Bod wrote:
[...]

That's a strong possibility.

--
Bod
Old September 18th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/09/18 08:46, Bod wrote:

cyclist deaths in particular remain stubbornly high, even as average
speeds, which affect road deaths, continue to decline. If cars are much
safer than 25 years ago, why are cyclist deaths increasing, from 25 the
previous year to 45 this past year?

Cars maybe safer for the occupants in a high speed crash but do they
reduce the number of low speed crashes? Very likely not because cars are
wider so reduce margins for error and all the stuff to protect the
occupants has got in the way of the driver's view. The width has also
taken away space for cyclists.

Old September 18th 18, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 18/09/2018 09:43, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/09/18 08:46, Bod wrote:

cyclist deaths in particular remain stubbornly high, even as average
speeds, which affect road deaths, continue to decline. If cars are
much safer than 25 years ago, why are cyclist deaths increasing, from
25 the previous year to 45 this past year?

Cars maybe safer for the occupants in a high speed crash but do they
reduce the number of low speed crashes? Very likely not because cars are
wider so reduce margins for error and all the stuff to protect the
occupants has got in the way of the driver's view. The width has also
taken away space for cyclists.

I can't argue with that, but many drivers are careless when passing

cyclists. I never have a problem with them when I'm in the car.
Also, when cycling, I've had many drivers who just pull out from
sideroads, seemingly oblivious to cyclists.

--
Bod
Old September 18th 18, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On 18/09/18 08:46, Bod wrote:

cyclist deaths in particular remain stubbornly high, even as average
speeds, which affect road deaths, continue to decline. If cars are
much safer than 25 years ago, why are cyclist deaths increasing, from
25 the previous year to 45 this past year?

Cars maybe safer for the occupants in a high speed crash but do they
reduce the number of low speed crashes? Very likely not because cars are
wider so reduce margins for error and all the stuff to protect the
occupants has got in the way of the driver's view. The width has also
taken away space for cyclists.

I can't argue with that, but many drivers are careless when passing

cyclists. I never have a problem with them when I'm in the car.
Also, when cycling, I've had many drivers who just pull out from
sideroads, seemingly oblivious to cyclists.

In the same way that many cyclists seem oblivious to traffic lights and any
rules in the highway code.

Lets be honest, there are idiots driving all forms of transport whether it be
bikes, motorbikes, cars, buses or trucks and they're not going to change. The
difference with cycling however is that you don't even need to pass a test
which at least for motorised vehicles keeps the idiots down to a sane level.
No so with pedal bikes.

Old September 18th 18, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 10:41:45 +0100
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee wrote:
wrote:

Lets be honest, there are idiots driving all forms of transport whether it be

bikes, motorbikes, cars, buses or trucks and they're not going to change. The

difference with cycling however is that

... they don't kill +- 1700 people every single year.

Big deal. About 30 BILLION miles are driven each year on uk roads. I'd suggest
that figure is pretty good, and don't forget a lot of it will be drivers
and passengers themselves rather than someone outside the vehicle. I wonder how
many miles are cycled each year?

Also if someone managed to cycle at 60mph (oh wait, isn't that just a
motorbike?) and hit a pedestrian they'd probably both be taken away in bag.

The whole cycling is safer routine is just specious BS. Of course its safer,
its slower. Mass is irrelevant when getting hit, its speed that matters. If
all vehicles pootled along at 15mph there'd be almost no fatalities, but the
economy would also grind to a halt and there'd be no food in the shops. If
you really want to be safe - walk.

Old September 18th 18, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On 18/09/18 08:46, Bod wrote:

[...]

The difference is that large lumps of metal can injury and kill much more
easily. HTH.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old September 18th 18, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 18/09/18 08:46, Bod wrote:

[...]

I'd agree with making cyclists take a test. That makes sense.

--
Bod