Is it illegal to bike against traffic on a sidewalk?

Old October 3rd 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Xtowers

Default Is it illegal to bike against traffic on a sidewalk?

It was kind of funny. I got a call from my girlfriend, and she told me
that she was pulled over by a cop on her bike. The cop said that it was
illegal to bike against traffic, which made sense to me. The thing that
didn't make sense was that she was biking on a sidewalk, not the road.

This got me a little interested in the bicycle operation laws of
Minneapolis, Minnesota, where I live. I looked through the Minnesota
statutes, which said that it is illegal to bike against traffic.
However, all those laws applied to only the road, and not specifically
sidewalks. My girlfriend was also biking in an area where it was o.k.
to bike on the sidewalk, i.e. not a business district.

So I was wondering if this is as strange to others as it is to me. I
have never heard of a cop pulling over a bicyclist for biking against
traffic while on a sidewalk. I'm thinking that this cop was having a
slow night. I don't think I'll stop biking against traffic while on a
sidewalk, and if I do get stopped I think I will bring up this issue
with the peace officer who thinks I am doing wrong. I think before I do
that, though, I'll have to make sure I'm up to code on all the other
bicycle laws that I found out I was breaking while reading the
statutes. XD

-Xtowers

Old October 3rd 06, 10:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bill

Xtowers wrote:
[...]

Bored cop? Stopping some for riding the wrong way on a sidewalk makes
about as much sense as stopping people for walking the wrong way.
Let us know, sounds like it might be harassment.
Bill Baka
Old October 3rd 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 3 Oct 2006 00:38:20 -0700, "Xtowers" wrote:

[...]

In some jurisdictions, the sidewalk is considered part of the highway;
you should check if that is so where you are.

Riding on the sidewalk is dangerous to both the cyclist and
pedestrians. Riding against the flow of motorcar traffic is also
dangerous.

Your sister should have been on the roadway proper, on the other side.
Old October 3rd 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Xtowers wrote:
It was kind of funny. I got a call from my girlfriend, and she told me
that she was pulled over by a cop on her bike. The cop said that it was
illegal to bike against traffic, which made sense to me. The thing that
didn't make sense was that she was biking on a sidewalk, not the road.

SNIP

Dear Xtowers:
Last week I saw someone who'd been riding wrong way on the sidewalk
get clouted by a Volvo station wagon while crossing a busy intersection
against the red light. Basically, your girlfriend got a ticket for
misdemeanor stupid -- the young lady I saw compounded the misdemeanor
and came quite close to earning more frequent flyer miles on
LifeFlight. Oh, she rolled away, but not before she'd been deposited on
the asphault and nearly kissed a bumper. Your local laws may vary, but
sidewalk riding the wrong way is at least as bad as sidewalk
riding.....

Robert Leone

Old October 3rd 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Xtowers wrote:
[...]

Your girlfriend derserves every single citation she gets, even a
"reckless driving" charge would be in order. Sidewalks are for
*walking*. Duh. Streets are for vehicles. Brilliant way to get yourself
killed is to zoom through an intersection wrong way when riding on the
sidewalk.

It's not funny or "aw, man, it's no biggie", nope, it's just downright
stupid. It's about 5 notches of stupid above driving drunk.

This is of course assuming you're over 12 years old. In many
jurisdictions you may ride your "My little pony" bmx bike on the
sidewalk if you're under that age, and by the sound of things you may
be able to argue with a judge that you're 10--on an emotional level.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
AustinMN

Xtowers wrote:
It was kind of funny.

Actually, no, not particularly.

I got a call from my girlfriend, and she told me
that she was pulled over by a cop on her bike. The cop said that it was
illegal to bike against traffic, which made sense to me. The thing that
didn't make sense was that she was biking on a sidewalk, not the road.

Whether it is legal to cycle on the sidewalk varies. Cycling on the
sidewalk is always a bad idea unless the cyclist is too young to
understand basic traffic laws (and then should be restricted to walking
speeds).

What your girlfrined was doing was almost certanly not illegal, but was
certanly unwise, no almost about it.

Austin (lives and works in Metro Twin Cities)

Old October 3rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

landotter wrote:

Your girlfriend derserves every single citation she gets, even a
"reckless driving" charge would be in order. Sidewalks are for
*walking*. Duh. Streets are for vehicles. Brilliant way to get yourself
killed is to zoom through an intersection wrong way when riding on the
sidewalk.

It's not funny or "aw, man, it's no biggie", nope, it's just downright
stupid. It's about 5 notches of stupid above driving drunk.

This is of course assuming you're over 12 years old. In many
jurisdictions you may ride your "My little pony" bmx bike on the
sidewalk if you're under that age, and by the sound of things you may
be able to argue with a judge that you're 10--on an emotional level.

Damn, give it a rest you ninnies.

Sidewalk riding is no more dangerous than any other
kind of riding, provided the cyclist recognizes the particular
hazards involved.

We all ride on sidewalks occasionally. That's part of the
beauty of the bicycle, the ability to outperform in the
pedestrian as well as vehicle realms. If you never ride
sidewalks, you simply aren't riding enough.

Scratch the surface of those who give anti-sidewalk
speeches and you will find cyclists who occasionally
ride sidewalks, when it is useful to them. You see,
it's ok for them, the self-righteous safety ninnie, to
do it, but not for anyone else.

To the OP, I'm sorry you got rudely kneejerked
on this newsgroup, you aren't the first.
The cop was wrong, unless perhaps he observed
her riding in a way that was particulary dangerous, besides
her simply riding wrong way on the sidewalk, maybe
he saw her cut somebody off or just looking
particularly oblivious.

Robert

Old October 3rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 3 Oct 2006 07:36:06 -0700, wrote:

landotter wrote:

[...]

Studies prove you wrong.

We all ride on sidewalks occasionally. That's part of the
beauty of the bicycle, the ability to outperform in the
pedestrian as well as vehicle realms. If you never ride
sidewalks, you simply aren't riding enough.

Scratch the surface of those who give anti-sidewalk
speeches and you will find cyclists who occasionally
ride sidewalks, when it is useful to them. You see,
it's ok for them, the self-righteous safety ninnie, to
do it, but not for anyone else.

To the OP, I'm sorry you got rudely kneejerked
on this newsgroup, you aren't the first.
The cop was wrong,

You can quote the law in the orginal poster's jurisdiction?
Old October 3rd 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

bill wrote: {snip]

Bored cop? Stopping some for riding the wrong way on a sidewalk makes
about as much sense as stopping people for walking the wrong way.

Mother holding a baby walks out of a store-front. BLAM!

Guess what, it wasn't a walker that creamed her.

HTH

Old October 3rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

wrote:
:: landotter wrote:
::
::: Your girlfriend derserves every single citation she gets, even a
::: "reckless driving" charge would be in order. Sidewalks are for
::: *walking*. Duh. Streets are for vehicles. Brilliant way to get
::: yourself killed is to zoom through an intersection wrong way when
::: riding on the sidewalk.
:::
::: It's not funny or "aw, man, it's no biggie", nope, it's just
::: downright stupid. It's about 5 notches of stupid above driving
::: drunk.
:::
::: This is of course assuming you're over 12 years old. In many
::: jurisdictions you may ride your "My little pony" bmx bike on the
::: sidewalk if you're under that age, and by the sound of things you
::: may be able to argue with a judge that you're 10--on an emotional
::: level.
::
:: Damn, give it a rest you ninnies.
::
:: Sidewalk riding is no more dangerous than any other
:: kind of riding, provided the cyclist recognizes the particular
:: hazards involved.

I agree.

::
:: We all ride on sidewalks occasionally. That's part of the
:: beauty of the bicycle, the ability to outperform in the
:: pedestrian as well as vehicle realms. If you never ride
:: sidewalks, you simply aren't riding enough.

I've done it. I've also ridden the wrong way on a road, too. The danger is
greater and increases ones risk of getting hurt, but one can do it without
getting hurt.

::
:: Scratch the surface of those who give anti-sidewalk
:: speeches and you will find cyclists who occasionally
:: ride sidewalks, when it is useful to them. You see,
:: it's ok for them, the self-righteous safety ninnie, to
:: do it, but not for anyone else.

Well, from the standpoint of recommending proper riding habits, I say opt
for safely. Make sure people understand why it's more risky to WWR or ROSW.
Then, if they choose to do so, at least they know to be on the lookout.
Those are not times to be lost in your own thoughts.

::
:: To the OP, I'm sorry you got rudely kneejerked
:: on this newsgroup, you aren't the first.
:: The cop was wrong, unless perhaps he observed
:: her riding in a way that was particulary dangerous, besides
:: her simply riding wrong way on the sidewalk, maybe
:: he saw her cut somebody off or just looking
:: particularly oblivious.

Well, I'd guess the oblivious part first.

Trip Report: Key West - Savannah - Arkansas - Milwaukee Ron Wallenfang Rides 16 August 25th 06 03:10 AM
Bike-friendly cities? cfsmtb Australia 8 July 31st 06 12:23 AM
Trotwood OH Cyclist Wins Traffic Ticket Appeal [email protected] Social Issues 1 December 6th 04 01:21 PM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
The way to break out of the pro-car, anti-car debate? DRS Australia 73 June 2nd 04 12:58 PM