Disabling Nexus 7 Coaster Brake

Old May 16th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Disabling Nexus 7 Coaster Brake

Is this something that can be done without totally dismantling the hub?
I have a line of bikes that is only available with the coaster brake
version, and this feature is costing sales. The bikes are equipped with
front V brakes and posts for rear brakes, so retro-fitting is not a
problem.(Except that the frame is deeply swooped for easy boarding and
would probably require an extra long cable.) I plan to contact Shimano
directly on this, but I anticipate a " what the heck do you want to do
that for?" response, so I thought I'd try here first.
I've suggested to the OEM they should switch, but they are disinclined
to do so.
Thanks
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

Old May 16th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dan Burkhart wrote:
Is this something that can be done without totally dismantling the hub?

Nope.

If it was a roller brake, yeah, just remove it.

I'm trying to remember if removing the brass brake pad from a coaster
disables it or is a really really bad idea--and the mechanism in the
Shimano is likely to be a lot less forgiving than messing with an old
single speed Torpedo coaster.

Old May 17th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dan Burkhart wrote:

I have a line of bikes that is only available with the coaster brake
version, and this feature is costing sales.

What kind of lame, joyless customers are those? Coaster brakes are
fun!

Chalo

Old May 18th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo Wrote:
Dan Burkhart wrote:

I have a line of bikes that is only available with the coaster brake
version, and this feature is costing sales.

What kind of lame, joyless customers are those? Coaster brakes are
fun!

Chalo

The bike these are in are designed for people with mobility problems
that inhibit the ability to lift the leg high enough to mount a
conventional bike. The ability to rotate the crank backwards to a
comfortable starting/ mounting position is of significant value to
these folks. I don't think they are much interested in doing rear wheel
skid outs.
(Yeah, I know you were just joking.)
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

Old May 18th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dan Burkhart wrote:

Chalo Wrote:

Dan Burkhart wrote:

I have a line of bikes that is only available with the coaster brake
version, and this feature is costing sales.

What kind of lame, joyless customers are those? Coaster brakes are
fun!

The bike these are in are designed for people with mobility problems
that inhibit the ability to lift the leg high enough to mount a
conventional bike. The ability to rotate the crank backwards to a
comfortable starting/ mounting position is of significant value to
these folks. I don't think they are much interested in doing rear wheel
skid outs.
(Yeah, I know you were just joking.)

So maybe "lame" was not the right word to use in jest....

That does seem like a questionable feature to put on such a bike,
unless they also anticipated that the user's hand strength might be an
issue.

Chalo